Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy needing engine advice!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by BuickBrad, Aug 27, 2012.

1. BuickBrad

BuickBrad
    from minnesota

Greetings fellow hotrodders, i am working on a '65 studebaker with my old man and we are having trouble deciding which engine to use. We have a chevy 327 block (small journal) and are either gonna keep it a 327 or de-stroke it to a 302 just to do something a bit different than the typical 350/383 crowd. with that being said, it will be mostly a street car but will make some trips to the strip. the car already has a wide ratio 4 speed and 4.11 gears. So for either engine combo what kind of a camshaft would you recommend? solid or hydraulic? also what kinda heads should we run? something that has mild street manners but can still get that stude to hustle! Thanks!

2. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

Keep it 327 when you destroke you gain safer higher rpm but loose torque which is always nice to have on a street car. as for cam wise hydraulic in my opinion doesnt have the performance advantage of the solid but to each his own. hydraulic lifters you wont have to adjust your lash like a solid. being that the car is a 4 speed stick also wide ratio and 4.11 gears will allow you to choose a wide variety of cam.
    If the engine has a low static comp stay with a small duration cam and a narrow lsa. there is tons of ways you could go about it

3. BuickBrad

BuickBrad
    from minnesota

well i plan on running around 10.5/1 give or take. are solid lifter cams very streetable? if so, can you give me some recommendations?

4. bear172

bear172
    from illinois

i have a 1953 ford f100 with a 327 out of a 64 corvette with 700r4 if i can be of help let me know

5. BuickBrad

BuickBrad
    from minnesota

i am open to any suggestions :)