Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do Quality materials matter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carbon maker, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. But you left out PI. Ya gotta use PI in about anything that you figure. I like raisin PI myself. That is the worse part about being in the joint is that they don't give you no raisin PI.

2. Carbon maker

Carbon maker

So during my break from the Board I went to pick up my truck at the smog shop. Not a math problem just a poor quality steel bolt problem. The shop went to drive my truck onto the rack to Swap out the cats. The starter ground and the starter bolt broke off half way into the block. The shop next door said that they could fix it. I didn't want to tow it home so I agreed to have the shop drill and tap it. When I called to the shop to check on it they said it was not repairable. They had tried to put a shorter bolt into the hole and had used a standard bolt in a metric thread. Noe we start over. If the original bolt had been made from quality stock in the first place it might not have broken off. My fault not sure on that one. Abuse by the Bean Man ? light duty. I only want more youth to give a shit about industrial arts. "Rat rods" Pebble Beach winners or any other mechanical device for that matter. Some people talk about saving old cars I have hauled over 500 out of the woods,fields yards and barns. Writing or in this case typing is obviously not my strong suit but I have done more to promote and preserve the legacy than a field full of check writing time out doll owners. A few harsh words will not stop my charge. If mastery of the English language was a ticket to participate many would not qualify. Many students in the programs I work with have no father or mother or worse people with the title of parent that never show up. All I can say is get involved if you have skills that you can teach pass it on. The next broken bolt or crap jack may be on that Airbus A380 that you are flying to Bean town.

3. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

I don't really agree with you here. I doubt that any functional patent still exists on 1936 brake shoe technology. And I am sure that they didn't apply for a design patent on the "look" of the shoes. So any replacement part should be as close to the original as possible.

I think somebody at the distributor or the plant just messed up. Most likely an error in packaging the wrong shoes in that box. Or it could be an error in an application list - IE, either the retailer, the warehouser, or the manufacturer thought the shoes fit this application, but they don't. Or, possibly, the manufacturer messed up in designing the part. And finally, it could be a manufacturing quality issue ... but they are so egregiously far off that it seems unlikely.

I do agree with the original poster that quality of many items we buy has declined a lot. In some functional areas, it has improved, due to new technologies. And some materials and new processes have improved things. But I think a lot of products have fallen victim to cost-cutting in the actual materials used to make the items. They just don't feel as nice as they once did.

4. Carbon maker

Carbon maker

This is the core of the issue.

5. Carbon maker

Carbon maker

6. Deuces

Deuces

Right on dude!!!:cool:

7. tnburg

tnburg

You said it right here. When Japan was on top of the world everyone said you better learn Japanese. No need to learn Japanese back then, no need to learn Portuguese now.

8. Deuces

Deuces

Aman!!!!!:cool:

9. And you know I agree with you on the legalities aspect 100%.

I do believe though that the stampings for the plates to mount the shoes would still be different simply because of new and modern manufacturing processes. They also wouldn't be stamped the same as a way of cost effectiveness. When the plates were first cut back in the day, they were designed to be re-lined again and again. Today new shoes are made and designed to be replaced and the old ones tossed. If you can make the bare plate stampings and cut a few ounces of steel off of a few million blank plates, that equalls big dollars at the end of the year for the company. Even the cutting and stamping dies can be made cheaper and more cost effective so that the part to a novice mechanic might not even appear to be compatable with the application.

My strongest argument here is the picture, and how the parts are displayed, sorry but it's not convincing or a strong argument of the O/P's point. Good discussion.

10. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

what are you talking about??? oh, that's right. also i checked, cat's do say meow!

11. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

v v v v

Attached Files:

12. Want to know the two best things about this thread ?
    Pi r squared, no pi are round lmao
    And traditions avatar.

13. Well I think the only thing this thread is missing is this classic.

[​IMG]

14. Mr Ducks
    Mr Knott
    OSAR
    CM Wings
    LIB
    Mr Ducks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.