Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stupid Ford Flathead Clutch question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Aug 27, 2012.

1. I feel Like I am missing something.....What pulls the throw out bearing and the pedal and such back?

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

When asking flathead stuff, always include some info on year of engine, trans, chassis, etc. as there is a lot of variety...
    but basically a spring pulls the sliding casting that supports the throwout bearing back away from the clutch fingers, and a spring on the clutch pedal down around the fulcrum or attached directly to the pin connecting to rod keeps the pedal up against the floorboard so its weight does not push agains bearing carrier.
    Look at the '48 Ford stuff, http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_trans-pics/Flathead_Clutchassy_1940-48_85hp.jpg parts 7562 and 7523

3. Thanks Bruce. I have the spring on the pedal, but not the throw out bearing.....Back apart it comes.....46 59ab and a 39 toploader in a AV8 for what its worth.

4. prewarpete

prewarpete

You should be able to put the spring on through the little inspection panel on the top

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yea, it's just a little bugger of a spring, a pair of forceps/tweezers/needlenose should do it.