Register now to get rid of these ads!

283-327-305 Chev engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brokenspoke, Aug 27, 2012.

1. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

My orginal 283 in my 1965 C 10 is getting tired.....I mostly drive in town and some highways...I'm wanting good mileage more that anything else....I plan on HEI, Edlebrock 600. Edlebrock manifold....stock exhaust manifold, dual exhaust with turbo mufflers, T-5 already installed, 4.10 gears...My question which engine should I go as I have all three....Rebuild one of above engines,or a 350 GM crate engine..thanks

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  2. R Pope

R Pope

The 327 will probably get as good or better mileage in a pickup. It isn't going to be great with any of them, it IS a truck!

3. F&J

F&J

Mileage, 283 2 barrel.

Think of cubic feet of air/fuel mix per mile, and you have the 5 speed to get the most out of a small engine.

4. Either rebuild the 283 or the 327. Both will get you to and from and built properly either can get you there in a hurry. Figure what RPM range gets you down the highway @ highway speed and build your engine to perform in that RPM range.

I am not sure what is considered to be good mileage, 16 MPG 20? I got in the 20-22 range with my 65 long bed and no OD. But that is not a sure deal for everyone with any given engine. Sometimes you just get lucky.

5. Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  6. A Boner

A Boner

Edelbrock 600 is for sure too big for a 283 or 305, and maybe the others, if you are going for mileage.

7. I say good old 2GC for mileage. I also have a Holley 2BBL with an adapter to the Chevy manifold in my stash, either one would work.

Bob

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My suggestion is to go with door number 3, the crate motor option. IMO one of the best values going is a new Goodwrench base 350. They can be bought in the $1500 range and you get a 3 year warranty. It is hard to do a basic rebuild for that kind of money.

I swapped one on them into a Vette for a guy one time and it was the cleanest engine swap I have ever done. All new longblock sure made it nice. I had the swap done over the weekend. I know a few guys who are running these in their old cars, some have just swapped in a hotter cam to give it a little rougher idle.

If you put the HEI ignition and 600 cfm Edelbrock on it you will get decent gas milage and be able to run on regular fuel.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...h-350ci-260HP-Engine-Packages/752506/10002/-1

Don

9. dblgun

dblgun

I sqeaked the best milage out of the 327 of the three choices you mentioned. Though I think 31Vicky may have something with the 307 3.875 x 3.25 may work pretty well in the truck. It will just take so "dialing" in and the right combination of motor and gearing.

10. Gromit

Gromit

We did an experiment a few years back. 4bbl got better milage that 2bbl. That is if you can keep your foot out of it :)

11. Did you happen to measure the 2 bbl bore size vs the 4 bbl primary bore size?

12. any of them would be a good , what it comes down to is personal choice. i like working on motors and like to rebuild them for my own hot rods , but if i'm working on someone else's it is a crate motor

don is right , you can't hardly rebuild for the cost of some of the crate motors. i rebuilt a 283 for my next project and i have about $2000 in it. but that includes carb/intake , starter , water pump etc and ready to run

i have about $2500 in the 283 in the car in my avatar

i see Jeg's has the 260 HP goodwrench 350 for $1499 and free freight. i've used a bunch of them and they are a good motor.

13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

283 or 327...but I am old...and just like the feel of those ol' Gals !!
    Mileage will depend on how you drive it...(although you may want to consider changing rear gears for it)
    Good luck,
    Cheers......

14. Here you go- read all you care to on the magnificent 1500.00 crate engine.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716040

Here's what I have into a stock rebuild of a running engine that I already had.
    Ring and bearing kit includes
    Mains, rods, cam, rings, feezeplugs, oil pump and gasket set and plastigauge.

I didn't like the head gaskets so
    Set of 1094 head gaskets

Cam , lifters, springs , retainers locks, heavy duty valve seals, timing chain
    .... 300.00

Machine shop services including valve job check and advise bores, crank,
    rods 250.00

Carb rebuild kit

Paint, sealants, locktite, assembly lube, and other stupid stuff like solvents kerosene, oven cleaner, some brushes..

Everything was within specs. Not blueprinted, not perfect - within factory specs and that's perfect for a non racing non- Max effort engine. I did the work.

What's that add up to? "Carbon maker" frowns on math & I don't want to piss him off you guys add it up.

15. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Uh, you are comparing apples and oranges. The one discussed by the OP was an O'Reillys reman, not a brand new GM Goodwrench crate motor. I wouldn't have one of the auto parts store remans if you gave it to me. But I would take a brand new Goodwrench in a heartbeat.

As for that machine shop rate of $ 250, I can't even get heads redone for that price. I never leave without a $ 1000 to $1200 tab.

Don

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had 283's, 307's 327's and 350's in my trucks and the worse gas mileage I got in any of them was with the two 327's I had in my 67 Longbed and 57 Panel. True the 57 had a 400+ hp 327 with 12.5 Jahns pistons but the stone stock 67 only pulled about 8 to 10 and the 57 maybe got 5 or 6. The pieced together 307 with 283 power pack heads, performer intake and 560 Holley spreadbore with a mid 80's Z28 cam pulled 16 on a trip to Texas with 3.70 gears and running at and above the speed limit the whole way. It also had crazy torque for a small block that small.

If it were me and I had the time I'd find another 327 crank and build the stock 283 into a stout little stroker. but of course a 283 crank in a 4 inch block = 302 so maybe you can take two and build a mileage maker truck motor with the long crank and then turn around and build a 302 for another little hot rod that will really zing.

18. I suppose its based on what you have or need done as far as machine shop goes.
    Maybe its not a fair comparison but its still good for reference

19. I'm telling you that 307 is a great motor massaged a little bit.
    Probably find a runner for cheap or builder for free!!
    The factory cams suck and the factory heads just don't work.

20. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

The longer this post gets the more options and opinions you will get.Like porknbeaner said build it to your truck specs.Figure your ratios in your trans,tires,and rear end and get parts for the rpm range you drive the most. If you have the S10 T5 it will help the little motor on take off,but the V8 geared camaro/mustang T5 may strain a little motor on take off's in your heavy truck.If it lugs your truck now you may want to go bigger but if it is working good stay with the smaller ones.

21. Oh yea, estimated conservatively at 325 hp and 350 ft lbs torque..
    Dollar per horsepower ratio means plenty to me

Here's 330 HP short block thru turn key 2995.00 to 5000.00 plus
    http://m.summitracing.com/search/pa...and/gm-performance/engine-type/v8?keyword=330

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  22. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

I have an Eagle ( http://www.eagleenginesales.com/automotive/remanufactured )
    truck motor ( 89 Suburban O/T dd ) has 280 h.p. I think, cost $1400, fast shipping (free !!) when I got mine 18 months ago.
    To me, cheapest and EASIEST way to go !! With 3 year warranty.
    In Florida and Ill.

23. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

How much gas can you buy for the extra $$ Well, nevermind.....

24. Gas mileage and 4:10 gears ? I'd get a ratio somewhere in the low 3s if you're looking for MPG.

25. dad-bud

dad-bud

Oldschool66 is exactly right - try 3.00:1 rear gears if you're really interested in mileage.
    Don't ditch a 4 barrel to go for a 2 barrel carby though - just make sure it's got vacuum secondaries and drive it like there's an egg under your foot. Spreadbore carbies use tiny primaries, which will allow reasonable throttle response and fair mileage - a good old well-tuned Rochester for instance.
    Your 5 speed trans is good - 6 speed will be better - reduce the number of revs at highway will reduce the fuel use - generally, that is - if the engine is lugging, you'll be chewing juice.
    However, if all you really want is low cost or high mileage - convert it to a diesel or propane.
    It really starts to get a bit boring if all you're after is economy.
    Just sayin'

26. R Pope

R Pope

Four barrels have a great deal more tuning capability than a two. Ever try to get different jets or metering rods for a 2 barrel?
    Any of my vehicles get better mileage with a four than they did with the original two, but I had to play with them to make it so. CFM doesn't mean much for mileage, since you are only tickling the pedal at cruise. Just resist the temptation to punch it away from stops!

27. 350 EFI and overdrive.

The smaller motors don't have to torque necessary
    to cruise at 1500 rpm on the highway.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Amazing to me is the folks (other posts in different threads) that casually observe their Target 350s with hydraulic Comp cams and Edelbrock intakes are easily making 1 H.P. per cubic inch.

This 307 combo has to be something to look into: my F100 has a 350 I built, gets 13 MPG with a 350 T/H and a 3.0 rear.
    The previous 350 was a '69 out of a Corvette, got consistent 17 MPG.
    I'd sure like 20... LOL

29. \
    Not if he is running an OD, the tall gears coupled with the OD will kill him.

30. \
    Not if he is running an OD, the tall gears coupled with the OD will kill him.