Register now to get rid of these ads!

Book review: Complete Chrysler Hemi Engine Manual Engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gsp392, Aug 25, 2012.

1. gsp392

gsp392

2. gatz

gatz

Just bought one of these last week through Amazon. A little higher initial price than ebay, but shipping was less,...it's a tossup.

For the money, I'd say it's a very good deal. Lots of info about mods and relative costs to do them.....just what you're inquiring about.
    Whether or not it could be considered a "machine-shop manual" is open to debate.

The author touches on a lot of topics regarding the Hemi family and notes the similarities/differences of each line. There's some very useful hints that you'd have a tough time finding elsewhere.
    He lists some after-market part sources as well. Some companies I'd not heard of before; others I have. He also tells a bit of the history of the Hemis and how the different lines developed their version.

gatz

3. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

It's OK....generally low quality images and, I recall, all black and white. Plus a lot of the narrative is based on anecdotal accounts of old timers reminiscing about what they did 50 years ago....not as much about what to do today to make one run well.

The way you have to look at it is if you gain one useful bit of information from it, that pays for the price of the book.

4. gsp392

gsp392

Thanks Greg.

5. gsp392

gsp392

Also, thanks Gatz. I didn't see your post earlier. I just ordered it. I hope it'l answer many of my questions. I also ordered a well used '58 Chrysler shop manual.

6. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The book doesnt give alot of specifics. Use it as a guide. When you get into the .500+ lift range, the only sure way to know your geometry is to mock it up. Every piece you use will have a bearing on the outcome. Cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, valves, springs, retainers, locks, as well as deck height, head gaskets, machine work.

7. George

George

It is a decent book, but has a few errors. Most of the focus is on the Chr, not Dodge & DeSotoThe Hemi Tech Index here is good reading.

8. 73RR

73RR

The book is a good reference, but not a complete works.
    There are errors in the original printing that may or may not have been corrected in subsequent editions so as with any expensive endeavour, double check anything that seems at odds with other info.

Anyone building/rebuilding an EarlyHemi should get familiar with them before spending any money. I would also recommend that a suitable machine shop be located that understands the parts availability issues.
    At the very least find one that has a good record on LA engines...avoid the GM/Ford shops.

9. gsp392

gsp392

Since this will be my first Hemi build, I will have my dad inspect my work, plus I have a good friend that owns an engine machine shop who's been in the industry for 35+ years, building most engine types.

My goal is to have an engine with lots of power and torque that sounds and runs great. I'd like to be able out run other most cars on the road, although I don't street race or condone street racing.

I want to use 2.020 intake vales in my '55 ported and polished 331 heads while retaining my 3/8 valve guides. I also want to run a stock rocker arm assembly. As far as cam I want to use solid roller, I was looking at the hotheads Isky 505 (.505 lift, 254 Dur .050, 108 ls) 392. I really don't know how much performance I would get out of that cam, but it should be mild enough not to throw the valvetrain out of it's geometry. I would really prefer a much hotter cam, but I don't want to get too carried away since this is my first Hemi.
    Also, I plan on 2x600 cfm AFB/Edlbrock carbs, 4speed, 4:10 gear in a 2,800 lbs. car. Those are the definate points, while the cam and valves are my biggest questions that I'm open to suggestion on.

I've attempeted to read Hemitech a few times and gotten some helpful advice. The main reason I wanted this book was to learn as much on my own without having to ask as many questions.

Thanks to all who have replied and who have offered me their advice on this build.