Register now to get rid of these ads!

Update on my F1 (no longer my daily – crashed)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Aug 25, 2012.

1. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man that sucks...love your truck. Could have been a lot worse...that is the chance we take every time we put them in the street. Good luck on the rebuild...I am diggin the 51-52 front end...

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Where in the world do the 'officials' come from?
    I had a similar experience, (not an accident, a vehicle verification) This little milquetoast faggot gave me the 'dismissal' that I didn't know what year my truck was. ('55 F100)
    This miniature prick insisted it was a '53.
    I don't do well with 'authority' anyway, long story short, his 'superior' came out, double checked numbers, and had a printed page of pictures of grille differences.
    He told the Truman Capote type he'd see him in his office later. I gloated.

Two hours of horsecrap with this little flea. Made me wonder who his husband was...

3. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

Kevin, last time I was at Ray Scotts salvage in Humansville MO. there was a almost complete 54 Ford i the Yard. I bought the headlight rims off of it but otherwise complete.

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey thanks – if you're ever planning to go there again and you think the wheel openings can be had for a reasonable price let me know – I'll make it worth your time.

5. Sorry about the truck, but the good thing is you are still around. I worked on the insurance side for almost ten years and mostly did total losses. I have seen more fatality vehicles than I can say.

6. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Thats a shame! Never like to see those kind of pics on here.
    Best of luck on the rebuil!

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sounds like you handled that about as well as I would!

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That sucks hardcore.. One of my favorite F1s too. Good thing you're still around and wanting to rebuild it! Oh, and the Weez truck? I'm hoping it'll be a heavy influence on the rebuild. :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Major bummer, but, as long as you are okay, it is all good. Metal is metal, cars and trucks are cars and trucks. Stuff doesn't really matter. It can be replaced. People can't.

10. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

I hate to see a cool truck crumpled up like that.

Glad you are going to rebuild!

On a side note, being a truck driver, I have annual defensive driving training and one of the things they teach is to leave yourself enough room so you can see the bottom of the cars tires in front of you when stopped at a light. Unless you are rear ended at a high rate of speed you shouldn't hit the car in front of you.

This also allows you an "escape route". If you would have seen the knucklehead behind you wasn't going to stop, you can turn and accelerate out of his way-also useful in shitty neighborhoods when gangland fun breaks out, your not boxed in and can haul ass outta there!

It sucks but you gotta think like a motorcyclist. everybody on the road is out to kill you, so keep your head on a swivel and be ready to react!

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I actually I do the things you mentioned out of habit. This happened on a packed highway – no escape route and plenty of room in front. Wouldn't have mattered if I had ten car lengths in front.

12. Yep, I got hit in the ass end back in the early 80's. Now I can't put my foot on the brake pedal without looking in my rear view mirror. That has saved my ass several times though. Now I see someone that doesn't look like they are going to stop, if there's no one in front of me I hit the gas. Trust me, it has worked!

13. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

This still makes me sad when I see the pictures.... I too am looking forward to see where this project goes... I am also glad that you made some adult decisions.....best of luck and keep us posted

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

14. Kevin, do you know if your insurance had to pay for the damages to the vehicle in front of you?

I know here in New York, when you get hit from behind and pushed into the vehicle in front of you, your insurance is responsible for the damages to that vehicle.

It sucks, I don't agree with it but it is one of the several reasons why I got out of the insurance claims business.

15. This is a glad/sad/tough love story all rolled into one. Sorry to hear of your misfortune and my condolences about your father-in-law, but it does seem he has left you with the proper way to approach life (paying bills with the modest settlement - a very big "tough love" decision but the right one), and now you are putting the truck back together in his honor. An even better, al-be-it bitter sweet, way to remember/honor your f-in-law by.

16. fleetwood39

fleetwood39

I am very sorry to hear about your F1. I have been working very hard on my 1950 F1 this summer. I have watched your posts with quite a bit of interest. You have steered my build in some great directions! I have been lowering my pick-up in a very similar fashion. I look forward to you swapping out your front sheet metal for the 51-52 stuff. I am hoping to do the same one day. My four year-old son has been helping me and looking at your posts also. He is rooting for you to get your F1 fixed! Good luck and thank-you....

Attached Files:

17. Man your truck looks practically rust free! If you get tired of the 48-50 sheetmetal hit me up. :)

18. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Sounds like someone's jealous.

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Wow, can't believe I missed this thread. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Kevin. I hope all turns out well.

20. I just found this thread too.
    Sad.
    How are you making out?
    Any progress?

21. jfrolka

jfrolka

I had some ideas for my 48 of doing a large radius on the wheel wells and no running boards and also taking a few inches off the bottoms of the fenders.

Here is a f2 I found online, not mine. I just cut up the photo and pasted it back together for the idea.

[​IMG]

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have made some progress and started a thread here.

Latest project is Z-ing the frame. When I have something to show you'll see it on the other thread.

23. chudm71

chudm71
    from Perryton

That is a shame I hope you get it back to life.

24. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

Sorry to hear of your accident kevin ! Wish i lived closer i'd
    come help you.

25. percifab

percifab
    from Dixon,CA

On the 10th of August I had a guy pull out in front of me and at 2800 lbs, 4 wheel drum brakes, 6" of rubber on the ground it slid like it was on ice, right into the side of a new chrysler 300. Now I'm fighting with his insurance over how much my vehicle is worth. I don't have classic car insurance cause I'm only 22 and you have to be 25 to have that. They had me take it to a specialty shop to have it fixed. It's been almost 2 months and they haven't even gave the shop they okay to fix yet. It's being a real challenge dealing with insurance.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1354501127.877487.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1354501170.893064.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1354501298.309387.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1354501371.886125.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1354501421.190200.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1354501505.838436.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1354501554.500443.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Attached Files:

26. also missed this and sorry to hear - but just like my Stude - yours will be back..

what about using those F-5 fenders - the cabs are the same right?...