Register now to get rid of these ads!

I got rear ended last night

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C-10 CST, Aug 26, 2012.

1. see!perfect example of why you need bigger tail lights and and a third brake light!

2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Agreed..dont ask me how I know:mad:

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Shouldn't the insurance companies take care of that? And if thet can't find a straight one , won't they pay to have a less than pefect one straightened ,etc.???

5. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

It is small but the CHMSL does help - a 4.3% reduction in crashes.
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/regrev/evaluate/808696.html

There are lots of bad LED tail lights. LEDs can be very directional, so just putting them in place of a "traditional" bulb isn't the answer. There are good LED lights, too.

6. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Yes either the restoration shop or Hagerty should take care of it but from previous experience I just thought I would throw out a line to any h.a.m.b.er's that might have one laying around that they don't need. It's Sunday and I don't have anything else to do, and sure enough I have a few good leads. Now that the extremely hot weather is behind us I want to get the car fixed and put this whole thing behind me ASAP so I can still enjoy some of the nice fall cruise ins and shows.

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There is a old junkyard east of you on Rt 36 in a little town called Modoc that might have some of those,if they dont Starks here in Dayton ohio has a few of those Chevys too. there is a place on S tibbs off Washington st west of Indy that might have the parts too.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  8. fbama73

fbama73

I'd recommend talking to Jimmy Edlin at Perfection Collision. He's in Indy, on Epler Avenue, just east of Madison. He has outstanding skills, and has done a lot of excellent work on classics and antiques.

9. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I agree with you fred, I was drivin my 80s c20 and it dosent have a third brake light and its painted fire engine red and a teenage girl rearended me at a stop light I was sitting at. The teenage girl was texting and driveing when she hit me. No one was hurt but my c20 only had a scratched bumper and her toyota was totaled... I see hundreds of people texting and driveing on a daily basis, you could paint your car safety yella and have 200 brake lights and these idiots still wont see them. :eek:

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

BINGO!! The third brake light wont make the LEAST bit of difference. I am in the insurance business, I see people on a daily basis that have been rearended in their late model shitboxs, third brake lights, led tail-lights and all.
    I have had guys with NO brake lights nail their brakes in front of me, and I didnt hit them. Reason?? Because unlike most of the COMPLETE FREAKIN' MORONS out there,I dont drive around with my @#$%&* HEAD SHOVED UP MY ASS. Paying attention when your driving, what a concept!:eek:

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";8101517]I agree with you fred, I was drivin my 80s c20 and it dosent have a third brake light and its painted fire engine red and a teenage girl rearended me at a stop light I was sitting at. The teenage girl was texting and driveing when she hit me. No one was hurt but my c20 only had a scratched bumper and her toyota was totaled... I see hundreds of people texting and driveing on a daily basis, you could paint your car safety yella and have 200 brake lights and these idiots still wont see them. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Damn straight!

12. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

I tend to avoid getting involved in controversial topics here, but the whole "third brake light" thing is just ridiculous. Cars with third brake lights get rear-ended all the time.

We live in a society where no one wants to take responsibility for their actions. We also live in a society where we try to remove responsibility from people. America is becoming a "nanny state". Even if a car has no taillights or brake lights, all drivers have the responsibility to pay attention, maintain a safe distance, and to accurately judge distance. I realize that this particular accident did not involve drivers, but when the "third brake light" discussion was brought up, I just had to comment.

They simply don't belong on classic cars...

13. Algon

Algon

Hargerty is a bit different to deal with but depending on your State it is you who has the right to decide what is to be repaired and how because it is your loss. The insurance company no matter how nice are looking for the cheapest way out and the shop is looking to make as much as possible. Any time the shop has in finding the part is taken out of the claim which means less money for the repair to be done correctly.
    When you wreck even the most common modern POS your replacement is whatever is at the wrecker at a given time for the least amount... If you expect new OEM parts, or even an equal quality used part you have to fight the insurance company to get it. Don't let whatever is easiest to find end up on your car for no reason, find these replacement items yourself and submit them with your claim.

Please remember a repair is rarely the same as a car that was never damaged no matter what it may look like and even the highest quality "body shop" is in no way the same as an actual restoration shop. The difference is night and day and can actually cost you more money for flat rate mig welds and body filler.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  14. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I drove 2 miles to the store this morning, saw one person texting, another yelling at a kid in the back seat and another yapping on her cell phone. Yea i would say it is the idiots that are on the streets now a days.. We have come so far but have lost so much along the way......

15. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

my buddy tells me that hagerty or grundy doesn't write in NY state

16. chopt49

chopt49

i have the top split cover fender trim from my '49 chevy, if they match i will ship it to you.

PM me.

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

C10CST, I in no way intended to imply that your particular incident could have been prevented by a 3rd brake light. And that was a real freak accident now that the whole story is told. But the NHTSA study quoted by 48fordor backs me up in the reduction in rear enders since 3rd brake light introduction in '86.
    So in my build if I can include 3rd brake light without detracting from the looks of the hot rod, then I'm gonna install it. And yall can flame on as I predicted, and do as you please on your ride. It's your ride and a free country with one helluva lot of different opinions on lots of stuff.
    Dave

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The big issue may be that while the insurance co or shop can find one, finding one that is suitable may take some time and delay the repair even more. Plus by finding one of your choice you don't have to settle for what they present.

19. And how... same deal, got creamed 11 months ago in my OT 2012 ride, had to be blind not to see them.

Bob

20. DenK

DenK

Tooling along in my stock looking A, middle of a sunny day,
    Get cut off hard by a 30ish guy in a jap sedan. At the next light
    he hops out and yells "Don't your lights work? Well put them on
    so I can see you!!". This guy looks for lights! No lights,no car.

21. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Yes! +1000 on this.
    Tom

22. hell-boy

hell-boy
    from indiana

i agree!! top notch work. and his employees kick ass too;)

23. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Well I finally got the car finished a couple weeks ago from the accident. It took MUCH longer than I ever thought, but in the end It was worth the wait. The shop that did the work couldn't get it in right away and then it took twice as long as they told me. Then I was waiting on the chrome plating to be finished. Oh well it's done and it looks great.

24. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

One more try to post photos of the car finished.

Attached Files:

25. indigenous

indigenous

peru auto wreckers peru ks greg has alot of old chevs 620-330-7655 hes a rodder from way back

26. Looks like they did a good job on the repair. Paint match seems good, or did they repaint the whole car?

27. adam401

adam401

Brick walls and trees and guardrails don't have third brake lights. People hit large objects like cars because they don't pay attention.

28. raidmagic

raidmagic

Nice!! It looks as good as old. :D As asked, did they repaint just the repair or the whole car? Does it look as good in person as in the pics?

29. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

My old bonneville got nailed on the beautiful rear quarter panel after I finished redoing all the body work that took me over 3 months. Hit by a British guy in a rental car thru Alamo rental. Alamo sent out an assessor and cut me a lousy check for $600. When most shops quoted $2/3000. They said flat painted color cars are not considered paint jobs.
    Have boycotted Alamo since then. No grace for oldies
    Sorry to hear it brother!

30. Mooseman

Mooseman

Looks good, paint looks good but I don't know why it wouldn't match. I had some rust repair done on an off topic car a while back and when it came back from paint you couldn't tell the repaired area from the good areas.