Register now to get rid of these ads!

I got rear ended last night

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C-10 CST, Aug 26, 2012.

1. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

As the title says it was not a good night for the old 49 Chevy last night. No one was hurt and they have insurance. I'm insured with Hagerty so I'm sure it will get fixed right. It will be a bitch to ever get the new paint to match the old paint. I'm not looking for sympathy but I could use some info. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement for that quarter panel trim? Also anyone know of a good body shop for this repair in the central Indiana area?

Attached Files:

2. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

3. just as an FYI, being an auto adjuster for a major carrier, you would be best suited to go thru Haggerty for the repairs and let your carrier subrogate to the other persons carrier (unless they have Haggerty too). Trust me on this.........

4. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Early 80's F-150

5. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Thanks for the info, that was kind of my thought as well. I have had a claim with Hagerty before and they were great to work with.

6. Do what I did with Hagerty. The paint won't match now so ...REPAINT!!!
    Look for R. Seghi has a bad day and you'll see the story of my '55 Chevy crash.

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, what is going on lately? I seems that there is more bad luck going around the H.A.M.B. than ever!
    Good to hear that it should be uncomplicated to get it fixed. Good luck.

Doc.

8. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Time will tell just how "uncomplicated" it will be. Finding a nice straight quarter trim is going to be the trick.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

When you drive your car...whether a HAMBer or not, there's too many people out there that are simply too busy on their cell phone, or texting, or drunk to pay attention to a small two square inch taillight...ever wonder why the taillights on newer cars are so huge...???

R-

10. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

And they still can't see them.

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Sorry for your getting hit...
    Bummer...but at least you have GOOD insurance...
    Good luck getting it repaired.
    Cheers......

12. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Two yrs ago this month my 34 got rear ended by 2 lame drivers. They didnt see the small taillights on the coupe, but they also didnt see the large RED stoplight. The company that the ticketed driver had (Fred Loya) gave me an estimate of $1788. My est at a good shop came in around $8500. My company (Chrome) paid with no probs.
    They then didnt let me renew my policy and I am now with Hagarty.
    Best of luck with your adventure.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Sorry as all Hell about your bad luck.
    And good advice to go to Hagerty and get them to subrogate.
    And now a comment that will get me flamed by the "Traditional Police":
    Have seen more and more rods getting hit in ass both by personal acquantances and in internet forums. I think it relates to the fact that a big majority of the everyday, drive to work and etc. non special interest vehicles on the road today have a high mounted third brake light which people following in traffic fixate on. When nothing up high lights up, their recognition and reaction that the vehicle ahead is stopping is much slower and BAM!!!!!!
    If you're driving a closed coupe sedan or truck you can mount the third light directly to lower edge of rear window, seecured and fitted to window glass so that all light emitted goes back thru rear window. Take a look at a few examles in the salvage yard and you may find a workable assy.
    Got a roadster or tub? For the tub there are ways to "french" one in flush. My method on the rolling body/chassis from Brookville Roadster? It was a combo of the previous owner's idea and my work.
    Louvered deck lid with 7 vertical rows and inserte a red LED, each with 3 units in each louver of top row across all 7 rows. Hopefully that is gonna help.
    For the Trad Pol.: I've been driving for about 60 years outta my almost 75 of age. I've driven stuff you'd get locked up today for driving on public roads, and in new vehicles of today.
    And if you don't agree about third brake lights and ( Gasp!) turn signals and drive it often, IMO you're living dangerously with yours and your passengers well being and the damage or loss of a ride you paid hard earned money and/or tons of your labor to drive.

14. upspirate

upspirate

X2....when my avatar sedan got totaled,I went with my ins rather than deal with his (he was cited). Turns out he only had $10K worth of ins

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Without any data to back that up, I'm calling bullshit. People get hit from behind because the offending driver wasn't paying atttention. You can have a 3'x3' stop sign on the back of your car and if the person behind you isn't paying attention, you'll get hit. I've seen cars with thrid brake lights get hit.

As for the tail lights being too small, what about motor cycles? Thier lights aren't much bigger than an old car. If I ever get hit from behind and someone tosses out "I couldn't see your tail lights.", my response to the cop will be, "I guess if I had been on a bike, I'd be dead."

Modern cars have so much shit inside them that the average driver isn't driving, they're AIMING. A car full of yelling kids, eating a burger and texting..... they're not going to see a thrid brake light. PERIOD.

Sorry about the OP's accident. And having a good insurance company will make repairs go well.

16. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

If they can't see a full size car in front of them, the size of the tail light will not do any good.
    'sides, they are supposed to maintain a safe distance behind....

17. Try www.chevsofthe40s.com for the moulding.

A "good" bodyshop can match your paint. There is good technology today that can aid in getting a perfect match, even if the paint code is unknown.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

your missing trim is easily found on ebay. if there is not one there now, there will be on next week.

I wouldn't trust anyone at a collision shop to repair that properly. gotta find a HOT ROD or restorer guy. remember , you choose the shop. insurance recommends a shop based on thier bottom line, not the quality of work or any concern for you or your car.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

good insurance has nothing to do with repairs going well if the body shop is run by Bondo Bob

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

True. I meant as far as having Haggerty as his insurance company. They seem to be easy to deal with.

21. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Thanks to all who how have posted. I have had a few h.a.m.b.er's pm me about possibly having the trim I need. This is such a great site.

22. Well-I tend to share your opinion-I don't really like the look of LED tail lights or a third brakelight-but they are a hell of a lot brighter and they do attract attention to the back of your car in traffic-which is what you want. I have both on my car simply because I drive the damn thing anywhere and everywhere and want to lessen the odds of getting tagged by someone who-as stated in the other posts-'just isn't paying attention'

Glad everybody was okay and the car is repairable

23. Cshabang

Cshabang

Talk to Thom, he owns Godspeed...Hes in Brownsburg and may have a connection you can use...

24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Maybe I should add to my post about leds in louvers that with the car's tires over a foot off the floor on stands, you don't see the leds when not illuminated under bright lights in my shop.

25. flatout51

flatout51

Sorry to hear man!! Blue dots suck!! My dad has them on his coupe... Soooo dim. Put stock lenses in there when you get her fixed!

26. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

OK I appreciate & understand everyone's take on tail lights being to small or to dim but tail lights had NOTHING to do with this accident. For the record I will tell everyone how this happened, I wasn't going to since it is so strange and bizarre but here goes.

Yesterday I go to a car show and had a great time. Nice cars good music, everything was wonderful. At the show I get one of those many fliers for future events, this one is for a drive in movie that same night. I don't know if everyone has seen these temporary blow up movie screens that can be set up anywhere. Nice setup, blow up screen, sound system and even short distance tune into your FM radio for the sound if you have a FM radio. We get there a little early and are the only old or classic car there. Some people come over to look at the car including the owners of the business that this "drive in movie" is set up at their property. Everything is great then half way through the movie out of nowhere WHAM, we get slammed from behind. Hop out of the car, WTF, here is an old F-150 up against our car and no one behind the wheel. The truck was owned by the people who owned the property and were putting on the movie. It was an older gentleman and his daughter. They couldn't have been more apologetic as the daughter told me she had moved the truck up out of the way on the small hill behind us earlier in the day. She said she must not have quite got it into park. My wife thinks that it could have been some kids that popped it into neutral and gave it a shove as a bad practical joke. Either way the end result is the same. As much as it pissed me off for having our car get bashed, it could have been a lot worse had it missed our car and gone straight into a group of people with children sitting in lawn chairs out in front of us.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wow. That's a crazy accident.

28. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Ant it the truth. I guess the only way they are safe is at home in the garage but then what's the point in having a car if you don't take it out and enjoy it?

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I was at a show about a month ago, put on by a local club. A guy had a VERY expensive '36 sedan and parked it on a small incline, facing the street. Well, he walks back to us and sits down. Then someone yells that his car is in the middle of the street. Yup, he wasn't used to the shifter and had left it in neutral. Now, this street has a good bit of traffic, but this one time, no cars were coming.

Sometimes, I'll park my T and push the front tires to make sure it's in park. Never hurts to check the easy stuff.

30. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Wow..Sorry about your car...What a weird accident...Good luck.