Register now to get rid of these ads!

Howdy from OZ

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by niceperson, Aug 21, 2012.

1. niceperson

niceperson
    from Australia

Howdy folks
    my name is Iain and I'm planning to build a very simple old school rod based on an early Morris Z chassis that I'm getting from my brother for stuff all (in exchange for a couple of hours welding)
    At this stage I will probably end up using a Morris minor four banger and four-speed gearbox to give the car a real period character. The plan is to fabricate a body from scratch that will be very much like the sort of post-ww2 racing specials popular in the UK. The seats will be as far back as is practicable and as low down as I can make em. then I want to move the motor and trans back as well to improve weight distribution, I want to add telescopic dampers on all four corners and upgrade the bakes as well. I would love to run fender-less but here in Oz they frown on that so I'll probably have to go for cycle guards instead.

I have had some experience in car building having built a lotus seven style car from scratch and I'm currently also building up a Morris Minor for my daughter who is still a couple of years off getting a licence to drive. You guys in the states have it easy when it comes to being able to drive some radical cars here its much tougher to get em on the road

2. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Welcome from another Aussie. Registering a vehicle here is easy if you follow the guidelines or even work with an Engineer.

3. niceperson

niceperson
    from Australia

Oh I understand that It can be done easily enough HOTFR8 as I had to jump through a few hoops to get may ICV registered.
    In fact building a rod is probably easier in that regard than building a Clubbie.

In the end I Just like building things and going for this project looks like it will be a bit of fun and possible on a shoestring thanks to a bit of engeunity and my trusty mig welder.

4. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Good luck with your interesting project. You might contact "Technical Ted" Robinett, he writes for ASR, Aussie Street Rodder magazine. He is very good with 4-bangers and pratfalls that you may run into.

5. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

ICV's :rolleyes: It is no wonder the Cobra guys now like club rego for the reproduction vehicles. As I said if you follow the guidlines you will be ok. Some Engineers now take one look and then say let us see it when finished.

6. Welcome to the hamb. Sounds like you need to get a copy of the small 1950's hardcover book called "one off". It's all about building a car just like you described. Good luck. -H.R.D-

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Welcome from the west coast of Florida.

Sounds like an interesting project and would like to see some pictures of the car.

Jimbo

8. niceperson

niceperson
    from Australia

this is what I'm starting with Guys:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Its not much I know but I do have some experience having built this:
    [​IMG]from scratch.
    The plan is to make something like this
    [​IMG]

9. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

G'day from a fellow Morrie owner!

Have fun building and driving that special!!

10. Veach

Veach

Welcome from Texas

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

welcome from the aussie in san diego!

12. niceperson

niceperson
    from Australia

Thanks for the welcome Guys !

13. radgirl

radgirl

Hi and welcome!. Love the pic of what you're starting with, doesnt make me seem so nuts after all. Cant wait to see it further down the track :)

14. niceperson

niceperson
    from Australia

Hi Rad Girl
    I have two ideas for power in this car, the first is to go old school and use a Morris minor engine which would have been a period hop up or I could use the Yamaha Fz 750 motorcycle engine that I have in the car. The Clubman guys in the UK use bike engines in their cars and they go like stink. As this will be a light weight machine the bike engine could make for an exciting drive!
    The UK guys mount the engine cross ways in the car and connect a drive shaft to the engine sprocket. You get an engine producing about 100hp , with six speed sequential gearbox that weighs about 60kg! now if I can keep the whole car to less than 500kg it ought to be pretty nippy!

15. radgirl

radgirl

I vote BIKE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. niceperson

niceperson
    from Australia

Now I just have to check if that will be OK with the transport department!