Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chev small block info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ter409, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Ter409

Ter409
    from NE Oregon

I am looking at a 53 Chev PU that had a small block installed. Owner says 327 which I am inclined to believe. Question is when did chev V/8s have the vent tube that goes down behind the block on the pass. side of the block? This truck is real clean with a 3spd stick and hurst floor shifter. Motor is sitting on the shed floor. Thanks Ter409

2. I believe pre '67, the '68 327 didn't have the early evap system. Some people capped them off (freeze plug) or the made a piece that bolted on the hole and went to the back of the carb. The '68 block didn't even have the same casting by the distributor (no hole).

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

1964 was the last year for that vent tube

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Koz

Koz

Shoot me the casting number on the rear, left side of the block , near where the bell goes on and I'll tell you what the block came out of. It will be a series of seven numbers about 1/2" or so high cast into the block.

5. squirrel

squirrel

and/or look for the stamped numbers on the top of the block, just in front of the pass side head.

I think you'll find the draft tube at the back was not used after 62.

which means that if it's a 327, and it is all orginal, it's a first year 327, they started making them in 62

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

My 67 block has the vent tube hole by the dist. opening. Locally there is a 69 dated block large journal 327 with the casting provision for the vent tube, but not machined. Must have been a leftover casting from previous year?

7. squirrel

squirrel

The small journal blocks had the hole in the back up to the late 60s, but the PCV system replaced the road draft tube in the early 60s (first in California).

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

pretty sure mine has the hole too. Nov 66 block. I'll go check before we leave today.

9. Graveyard Tan

Graveyard Tan

i just sold a 67 camaro 327 motor , that had the vent tube on the back. casting date was Nov. 66

10. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, that's about right... I think Chevy started building their little "pony" car in Sept of '66.. For the '67 model year..

11. squirrel

squirrel

was it the road draft tube that went down to the bottom of the engine, or the PCV tube that went to the carb?

12. dblgun

dblgun

Both of my 64 and 65 Chevelle's had factory road draft tubes.

13. Deuces

Deuces

I'm pretty sure it was a PCV setup on them '67 Camaros... I'll have to look..

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ter409 if you can get the casting number that Koz mentioned
    Looks similar to this but may be hard to see.
    This is off a bare 350 short block but shows where the casting number is behind the drivers side head. If you can't see it, aim your digital camera or cell phone down at the area and take a couple of photos of the number.
    [​IMG]

The Suffix number that Squirrel mentioned should be on the pad in front of the right valve cover like this
    [​IMG]
    You want the letters after the number to be able to determine what the block should be and what it was in originally.

15. As far as the ones that came with the road draft tube from the factory might differ between states (like California and others)...I think. A lot got converted to pcv here when smog checking came about, my '60 elco had a pcv when I got it.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just what I was gonna say. I think Canadian cars didn't get the pcv till '68.

17. Ter409

Ter409
    from NE Oregon

Thank-you all for the info! I did not get a good look at the engine as it was under a bunch of blankets in a dark shed. I will get the #s when I take another buddie out to look at the truck. We need to take a can of Bee spray killer with us as the truck is loaded with wasps. I already took a hit to my arm so could not get a close up look. This farmer also has an 80s Chev pu that was a 6.2 diesel converted to a 454 automatic. Its been sitting with broken windows and trashed but he claims the motor was good :confused:. I'm thinking of trying to get both P.U.s for a future project. Ter409

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

It's probably the famous corvette motor...

19. There are exceptions to the rules:

I have one of the 10000? service replacement (CE stamp) 327's that could only be installed by a dealer. It came in my '62 Corvette that had the engine replaced in 1971. 1969 casting date and a road draft tube provision.