Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bare Metal Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by airbag, Aug 15, 2012.

1. airbag

airbag

It's not that I dont have the money for a car show, just lookin to weed out all the people that think a paint job cost 200 dollars, the car needs just wheelwell patches and that's it. Gonna drive it in bare metal to show how nice the body actually is. Pretty rare to see a 81 year old body that has never been patched or chopped. The only reason it needs wheelwell patches is because it was on a 1932 ford frame with a hemi in it until 1963. From st. Louis area.. My car my way. Bare metal it is.

2. airbag

airbag

I am allergic to dogs and especially stray ones. better stick with hot rods hookers and beer. just sayin

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm ok with the bare metal look if it is for one or two events to show how straight the body is and or how good your metal work is and then it's time for proper paint. I don't really get these guys who drive bare metal year in and year out and buy WD-40 by the case along with buying Scotch pads by the box.

That body looks a hell of a lot better than the one I am going to look at and try to deal on tomorrow.

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice Rig FerShure.. !!
    I like it.
    Cheers.......

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yep, but I don't get the shiny paint guys that buy wax and spray bottles of detailer and sham wow cloths by the box either. :)

I'm in between; I roll with primer only. No WD40, no wax, no nothing, just fun driving the piss out of it.

To each his own.

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Kinda funny, I'm sure it is just me but what if people in general used that same logic. No clothes for those with nice bodies, those without--clothes. From what I have seen around here, I am hoping for clothes. :)

I guess my cars are patched up crap because they have paint. Oh, whatever. I am going for another beer.

Neal

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

First off, that's one clean ride you got there, as far as the lack of finish goes...it reminds me of "The Emperors New Clothes". I just can't grasp the concept of bare steel being cool (unless were talking Deloreans) and hosing it down with WD40 could make things real tricky when and if you ever do go to put some color on it. I guess it would be nice for people to see the before just once.

8. I wished I had started out with a body as solid as the subject is and to have a much later decision to apply paint.
    I decided to apply mud work and paint AFTER deciding to not mess up a LOT of metal patchwork on my POS 29 Tudor body that will probably show where I used WD40 or PB Blaster to protect that space of newly finished welding.
    Hmmm. Wonder why I have paint blistering in places? Heat? Porous rust?

9. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

Sweet Rat Rod. Do a wheelie.

10. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

nice car, but i dont get the 32 grill thing ..
    looks outta place on a 'A'

11. metal man

metal man

Cool car. Be sure to use only Gibbs penetrant on the bare steel. Anything else will cause you major headaches when you paint it someday. Lot's of threads on Gibbs on here.

12. Tacho

Tacho

It needs paint because the frame and axle look fresh. The old on new looks inconsistent.

13. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

everyones opinion is gay.

14. Raunchy

Raunchy

I agree with Metal Man only use Gibbs. It's worth every penny.

15. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Body looks nice. IMO it would look nicer painted, possibly Washington Blue with the white firewall. Not to change the subject but why is the alternator hanging so far from the motor? Looks kinda goofy stickin' out from behind the grill shell... CTJ