Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I know inmates made license plates, but did they sign them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleetside66, Aug 25, 2012.

1. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'm not a license plate collector, but I did buy this one for $5 at the Wheels of Time swap meet. It's a 1921 Pennsylvania plate, with some strange runes inscribed on it. Aside from what appears to be some kid's etched artwork, there appears to be a rather neat "maker's number," pretty heavily etched on the number 5. Could this have been the prisoner's number back in 1921? You have to wonder..did the maker inscribe this? Was it a common practice back then? I could see an inmate doing this....he etches it & then it gets heavily coated with paint. Ninety years later, the paint wears off & the "signature" appears...a prisoner number. How many cars were running around Pennsylvania in 1921? What's your take on this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. it does say maker's number , so i thinking that is the inmate number would be logical. that looks hand engraved i just wonder if he would have the time to do it while doing a production run of plates

the doodle seams like it was done with the same tool

just thinking out loud

3. It would be cool to find out his name and see if perhaps he may have family members still alive today.

Frenchy

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If that is indeed his 'A' (adult) number, it's a pretty high one for that year in a small state.

Did they incarcerate that many by 1921? There are archives...

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an extensive collection of license plates and have found a few from various states that were marked with a name. Some were etched, some were written in pencil.

I believe that the names were an attempt by the owner to discourage plate theft. The plates were only in use for one year and some unscrupulus (sp?) person could steal the plates, put them on their car and avoid the cost of registration for that year. With no computers, etc that we have now, it was more difficult to track stolen plates unless the vehicle was stopped.

The one marked "Maker's Number" with the number below it, is curious. I doubt an inmate woulde deface it, since they would trace it right back to him and he'd get screwed..........unless, of course, he marked it with ANOTHER inmates number to get HIM in trouble! Interesting, in any event.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  6. All I have to add is that you got that plate for a pretty good price. Its hard to find one that old anymore that isn't rusted all to crap.

7. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Andy Duphrane was into more than digging tunnels,bookwork and working in the laundry?

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Heeeeeeeeeeee! The night he etched that old plate? Well, it was the longest night of his life.:p

9. 1ton

1ton

Here in Illinois we rely on our ex governors to make our license plates.

10. Ha ha, Same here in Alabama.....

11. Your Ex gubna is in Colo doing his time.

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

would be nice if our Cali Governor Moonbeam would join him

13. Would be nice if, too:
    2. No political ... posts

14. George

George

A job for the "History Detectives"!

15. Koz

Koz

My neighbor is a corectional officer at Frackville Max Security. I'll ask if he can search the number.

16. Ha! Illinois has yet another ex-governor serving time in Wisconsin... I'd like to see him banging out plates!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  17. evs1

evs1

My dad told me a story about someone getting a new plate and it had a note inside the envelope.

It said; "Help, I'm being held prisoner in a license plate factory"!
    Supposedly took place here in WV but you never know with some of dad's stories.

I did find out that an ex-cop I knew that is spending the rest of his adault life for incest and rape is the one that makes the little date stickers that go in the bottom corner of the plate.

Rot in hell Daffy, your a prevert and that is where you belong.

18. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

According to this site http://www.ricksplates.com/pennsylvania/papass1.htm, Pennsylvania engraved the serial number of the vehicle to which the plate was assigned as a "maker's number" during certain periods. It says the practice stopped in 1920, but you might contact him with your find.

19. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I never signed any . Afew tats , no tags.

20. Deuces

Deuces

Mmm... You say that he's a friend of yours???..

21. johnboy13

johnboy13

Doesn't look like he did

22. fleetside66

fleetside66

Wow, that's pretty interesting...thank you. I'll have to check that out. It would make sense that the engraving would be an above board deal, because it obviously took a bit of time to pull that off. The engraving is quite deep, unlike the other "artwork" that is relatively shallow.

23. wsdad

wsdad

Paraphrased for brevity:

Beginning in 1910, Pennsylvania license plates were assigned to the vehicle rather than the driver. To drive home that point, a metal tab in the shape of a keystone was rivited to the license plate; stamped on the tab were the words Not Transferable at the top and Makers Number [sic] at the bottom. Engraved on the center of the tab was the "maker's number", or the vehicle serial number, better known today as the VIN number.

In 1916 to 1919, the maker's number (VIN number) was enscribed directly onto the embossed keystone, rather than onto a tab riveted to the plate.

Beginning with the 1920 issue, Pennsylvania ceased engraving the vehicle serial number onto the plate itself or onto a tab riveted to the plate.

What I think:

Although it was no longer necessary in 1922 to inscribe the VIN number or, "Maker's Number" into the plate, I suspect it just seemed like "the thing to do" or a good idea to the original owner of the plate, because they had done it in his recent past.

24. JerryG

JerryG
    from Illinois

How would you like to be an inmate and make these all day? :D

[​IMG]

25. fleetside66

fleetside66

The further this post goes on, the clearer things get. The fact that the "maker's number" is the same as the modern V.I.N. practically solves the mystery. I am very much in agreement with your aforementioned assessment. I did E-mail that Rick guy...we'll see what he has to say..hopefully I'll get a response. If not, maybe you'll see me on History Detectives..ha-ha.

26. That^^^would be justice, no??? (at Jerry G's post)

The VIN/model/engine/whatever you want to call a vehicle number makes a great deal of sense.