Register now to get rid of these ads!

coilovers in front of differential?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ADReese, Aug 26, 2012.

1. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

I have a riley model a frame that is set up with p&j ladder bars and coilovers. If I can find the room is it safe from an engineering standpoint to put in a new crossmemeber and move the coilvovers to the front side of the rear axle. I will also flip the lower coilover mounts around. I want to free up room behind the axle for a suspended fuel tank in a channeled model a sedan. Is this safe or just a stupid idea?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Totally safe, and not uncommon. It will have a slight effect on spring rate and shock function, being that they are closer to the pivot point, but it is nothing you would notice.

Go for it!

3. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks for the info Gimpy! Do I keep the standard 25 degree ish shock angle?

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Should be just fine with 25º. Since moving them forward gives the suspension more mechanical advantage over the shocks and springs, if you bring the angle back to 20º, you will offset that nicely.

5. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

Does anyone happen to have any pics of ladder bar set ups with the shocks in the front? Thanks!

6. I have been thinking of doing exactly the same thing simply because I don't want my O/T coil overs showing..

7. ADReese

ADReese
    from spokane

I didnt think of that Rocky, but would be a big bonus! Coilovers always stick out like a sore thumb on sedans and this would bury them deeper into the car. good thought!

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

Agree with gympsihotrods - no drama - Chevy did it under millions of coil sprung rears for ages - worked OK for them.

9. BTTT. Any pictures?

Where would you put the panhard bar?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  10. Anybody? Bueller?

11. you can mount in frt too if you have the room.

12. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Why not? I mounted my leaf spring ahead of the rear on my '34 in 1957 and here's a pic of my current build with leaf spring ahead of the rear. Not coilovers but the car doesn't know what is holding it up and the geometry doesn't affect it that much, actually a little better. I did this one to show off my quickchange

Attached Files:

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

been done many times--- quarter eliptics go in front with no problems...

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The rear suspension will be a little stiffer using the same spring rate but that might be a bonus as the springs take a set.

Frank