Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Ford man trans issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gwayne, Aug 25, 2012.

1. gwayne

gwayne

Looks like there is a fork inside the butt end of the 3 speed man. trans that is not freeing to release the trans. I removed the mount and side shift arms, it's free but will not come down off the shaft..

Any suggestions?

2. Do you have the driveshaft, speedo cable, shift levers and clutch linkage disconnected? Removed 4 bolts that hold the trans to the bellhousing? Is there a rear trans mount to remove? The trans shaft may be corroded to the pilot bearing in the flywheel and might need a bit of wiggling around as you pull to the rear to disengage the splines from the clutch disk.

3. gwayne

gwayne

yep all disconnected and engine including bellhousing is removed also..i can turn the trans., but looks like the fork is stuck..

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which shaft is it not coming off? I saw the other post and it looked like you had the yoke stuck in the trans.

You are working on the car in your avatar with the flathead and three speed in it?

5. gwayne

gwayne

the rear shaft of the 3 speed tran. with a stuck fork...on my 50 Ford coupe. trying to drop the trans , to allow more room to install the redone flathead motor..

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not following the stuck fork thing. Do you mean that the yoke on the driveshaft is stuck in the back of the trans? This is where a photo or two would help. you did unbolt the driveshaft from the rear axle? 4 bolts or nuts back there to take off.

7. gwayne

gwayne

Jacked up the shoebox, climbed under and disconnected the trans from the driveline, it was stuck "hard"...40 yrs of storage... resolved..;)

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sounds like the throwout bearing is stuck on the input shaft sleeve. The "fork" is the lever.

It's probably cocked off-center and binding. Try lifting the trans back to its original height and center it, then pull backwards. Also spray it with some penetrating oil.

Another solution is unbolting the pressure plate and remove it all as a unit.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mike, I think he's referring to the back end of the trans. (otherwise, that would have been my guess, too...

I think MR48CHEV is onto it: Sounds like the slip yoke is stuck to the tailshaft.

Support the driveshaft with a car stand, so it's level with the transmission tailshaft.

Place a wood block behind the driveshaft, and tap it with a large 5 lb.+ hammer: In essence, 'drive' the shaft forward. It sounds like old 90 wt. gear oil has hardened on the splines from sitting, and become varnished.

When the driveline yoke goes forward a little, it should pull out reasonably easy.
    If it's too tight, use a large channel lock plier (with 2 pieces of heater hose over the jaws) and get between the tailshaft seal and the yoke's flange casting. The added leverage should slide it off...