Register now to get rid of these ads!

My business burned this afternoon!! Alien Games

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toast, Aug 23, 2012.

1. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

Maybe the mods will let you change your name to "Almost ToastX2". ;)

Really glad you are okay and insured! :)

2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, with this kind of business he's screwed whether the firemen turn on the hoses right away or not. The only thing that would have really helped him would have been if they had a way to flood the fire with CO2 or halon, which of course they don't. Once you start dumping water on cards and books they are really not much better off than if they had burned, unless they were all in waterproof cases or protectors.

Glad you're OK.

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Tom, is there anything me and the other members of this board can do to help you Right now?

4. tjmercury

tjmercury

So sorry to hear this Toast, just glad to hear nobody was hurt.

5. tjmercury

tjmercury

I agree, if there is anything we can do, let us know.

6. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Sorry for the loss and thankful that no one was hurt!

7. Freeze dry ! Not exactly cheap but it will restore photos documents books and the like.
    Majority of monetary damage in a fire is smoke and water barring expensive collections. The fire burns the structure, ironically its the cheapest fastest and easiest to replace. An area of 10x10 burned can smoke damage 100x100. A 15 second blast from a fire hose can destroy an entire average size room and contents by thoroughly soaking it & creating a need to gut it. Secondary damage from mold growth caused by the water is a HUGE concern and expense.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  8. wow, that's a really nice gesture man. It's nice to still see people out there willing to help someone out

9. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry man. But hey, you didn't get hurt, no body else did either, and it sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Still sucks though, Best wishes.

10. Yep!

Many people don't understand that the flame itself doesn't create as much damage as the smoke and/or water. In my case (see post #50), 1/3rd of the building was burned but the smoke totaled the rest of the building as well as it's contents which included many auto related antiques.

11. chriseakin

chriseakin

As a volunteer firefighter, I can only tell you that when your place is on fire time seems to crawl. Firefighters have to make sure they have their protective gear on before they go in and sometimes it takes longer than others to get water flowing. Our department has a policy we don't start the water flowing until the power is off because of the danger of electrocution. Not sure what your department's policies are but it really sucks to lose that much to a fire.

12. damn it man, good luck recovering. glad no one was hurt

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to see that, Here's hoping that you get rebuilt and restocked better than ever.

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I know the fire department probably seemed like they took forever, but they probably had to be sure of safety before they did anything, I know it's frustrating, but they do have to follow certain policies and training to make sure everyone goes home.

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

What a tragedy! Fire sucks.

I hope you don't change your HAMB name. I especially enjoyed meeting you and hearing the story of how that name came about. How would I ever remember you if you changed your name?

best wishes for a successful recovery

16. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

Sorry to see that fire is devastating.

I would say the firemen did not enter due to the fact the fire was over thier heads. You don't fire over your head. Plus not knowing how much fire was in the roof or how much of the roof structure was burnt/weakened/missing. Trusses fail right quick and are not designed to carry no more load than thier own. Risk alot to save alot-there was no life hazard.

17. gotit

gotit

Bingo! Trusses burn really fast and to enter a structure that has a compromised roof structure is stupid. Two min or ten min wouldn't have madeyou a difference. The smoke and water would have done damage either way.

I am glad you are safe and no one was injured. All materials CAN be replaced.

Thank your fire dept. For being at your aid on a bad day. Most of us don't get paid and do it to help the community.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

18. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thanks Paul and all others that have offered to help!

Today we contacted the Riverwalk Crossing, an up scale shopping center/ entertainment venue right on the river and just 2 blocks from our burnt store. The Muscogee Nation just recently purchased the center. My wife called them and told them what happened, this was at 1:00 this afternoon less than 24 hours after the fire. There were amazing to work with and we were in the new building by 4:00!!!!:eek: They also gave us a month to month lease so when we rebuild we are ready to go! one of the mothers of one of our customers contacted our local FOX affiliate and they came out and did a story on out store and then did a live feed from the burnt store during the 9:00 news:eek: 30 plus customers came to the new location and everyone pitched in and we went to Sam's Club and bought new tables and 150 chairs and 15 minutes after we got to the new location the whole store was set up! We have AWESOME Players! My phone has been on fire today with offers to help. Its amazing that we were back in business 24 hours after this terrible fire! Still have lots of work to do but I think I now have the will power to continue.:)

19. I'd like you add that my dad was a fireman for 36 years , so I feel your pain.

20. Good things happen to good people! Good for you Tom!

21. Lame...sorry for your loss.
    The running joke around here is the fire dept just puts out foundations. I have heard they do not like to jump inside buildings anymore because so many meth labs around the country.

22. Glad your ok! Sorry to see this, but I know you'll get her back and going my friend!;)

23. Sorry to hear of your loss, glad you are okay and as you stated, none of the kids were there yet. I was at your shop last year where I bought the T70R's from you that are on my Galaxie now. Good luck with the mess. Glad you are okay again.

24. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I know several firemen and we have a running joke about asking them how many basements or concrete slabs they saved. We have a very good volunteer fire department that is known for having water flowing as soon as the truck stops.

Good to know you're insured. Hope it isn't through Progressive.

25. wonderful news on the community coming together to assist you!

26. RTS1

RTS1

Wow Toast, that story of the community helping is amazing. I live in Northern California and if something like this happens, the community helps out too. Only problem is, they help themselves to whatever they can steal. It is really nice to hear that there are people that really do care and really do assist when you needed it. Congratulations on the new location. Keep up the good work and great things will happen. It is called Karma-apparently you were deserving of some good Karma from your past. Oh yeah, I don't want to hear of a 3rd "Toast" story, please!

27. wally55

wally55

Sorry to hear,good thing no one was hurt.best of luck.

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi Toast.Sorry to hear of your loss.BTDT.It SUCKS.Glad to hear that nobody was hurt.As was said before,things can be replaced.PEOPLE can`t.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

29. theylive

theylive

Hang in there man... Praise God no one was injured and hope your insurance takes care of you.

30. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

Sorry for your loss! Thank God you're Ok. Insurance should cover the loss.