Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I'm not real sure, Marty, but I know that when I got involved big time in the early 60s, most of the "travelling" series had them that way. I figured it was because they ran bigger tracks, a lot of them banked.

Our rules at the old Fairgrounds Motor Speedway called for them to be the opposite of that for the benefit of the scorers.

In both NASCAR and MARC (now ARCA), the individual scorers worked from a stand in the infield, so it makes sense they'd want them that way.

2. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I heard it was when they started racing on the big high banked ovals. When the cars were in the banking, the roof was all you could see.

Marty
    Marysville, OH

3. Falconred

Falconred

I received news yesterday that James "Biddle" Ridley, the brother of driver Jody Ridley had passed away yesterday morning. Biddle was a great and enjoyable fellow to be around. His friendly nature and grin made you feel at home. Biddle raced himself early and later became Jody's crewchief.

Rest in Peace Biddle, you will be missed.

Biddle at Boyd's speedway and Jody and Biddle after a win at Georgia International.

4. Falconred

Falconred

5. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Just read that Buck Simmons past away .....remember watchin' him win the '85 NDRA invitational at Kingsport!...if my memory serves me well...he had fast time and won the main!...takin' home a Cool 60K! In '85!

6. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Hey C5, how are things going. Anything new on the Galaxy front?

John

7. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

8. CHUCK STARK

CHUCK STARK

If my memory is correct , Dan Wright was with the 3rd Airwing, US Marines back in the early 60's. A bit late but Semper Fi shipmate! Chuck Real Old Navy Corpsman

9. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

John, Thanks for asking. I am putting the cage in this weekend. Mud and paint come next.

[​IMG]
    I found a new shot of the old girl when she was running in USAC. Cool!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  10. k9racer

k9racer

C5HM .. In my close to 60 years of being around race cars you have the most neat /clean uncluttered Hot Rod/ Race car shop I have ever set eyes on. Its even a little better than the famous atlanta ga based Red Voight back room. Bobby

11. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

[​IMG]

Look at how beautiful that copper color is. Also like the way the number looks raised on the door. Very cool. K9, I don't think that's C5's shop. It's his living room. :D ;)

12. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

Bobby..You can't see the total chaos lurking just outside of the frame...HA! Being compared to Red Vogt, even in passing is high praise indeed!

I doubt that Red used a four by four when rebodying (solo!) his cars! HA!
    I am just a one man shop...and I don't pay "the help" very well either.

[​IMG]

13. NNELDNER

NNELDNER
    from Wisconsin

This is Ken Pokora at Hales Corners, WI. My father and Ken owned this car 50/50. Kenny was knocked out and went to the hospital with a concusion but no other injuries.

My mother rode in the Ambulance with him to the hospital. I see Ken regularly to this day, and we joke about this photo which was printed on midwest racing news.

Hales Corners Speedway required window nets the following week.

14. MuseumBob

MuseumBob
    from Indiana

Tom shared the car with Moose until tarck officials foud out he was too young and kept him off the track!

15. Boatmark

Boatmark

I'm a noobie and just finished reading this entire thread (took me four days!) Loved seeing all the history, and learned quite a bit from the posts. Thanks to all who took the time to post.

I spend a lot of time looking in the background at the trucks / trailers / haulers. Some cool stuff I would love to duplicate.

16. rasslinfan59

rasslinfan59

There was a Pontiac LeMans that raced Late Model Sportsman at NE Ohio short tracks (Cloverleaf, Lorain County, Barberton and Sandusky). Drivers name is Jeff Fagerlin, number B-52. Nice guy, great Driver!

17. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

1964 GTO with a racing Inline chevy 6 cyl,,,driven/owned/built By Harry Farr ,,,raced on the dirt tracks at Mt. Clemmens Mich, and at Checkered Flag Speedway in windsor ontario,,the pic is a Checkered Flag,,,car also ran the double "O" at Mt clemmens[​IMG]

18. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

[​IMG]
    Cage work on H&M chassis C4HM-10041

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  19. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Darn, I never knew this thread existed here. Now I'll never get through.
    What little I've seen so far is fantastic!
    Tom S.

20. loudandlow

loudandlow
    from avoca ny

This thread is great spent some time scaning thru it trying
    to locate some short stuff from N.Y. state but didnt have
    much luck, but really enjoyed what i did find. Thanks to all
    who posted their photos.

21. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

[​IMG]
    Cage work on H&M chassis C4HM-10041

C5, again I say your attention and dedication to detail is a joy to see, looking forward to the Galaxies completion. Honestly, I think a lot of folks are. :D

I recently returned from N.C. where I got to see the Occaneechee/Orange Speedway racers reunion and car show Sept. 29th. It was raining and pretty much rained all day, but that didn't stop the party.

This year was their 6th annual reunion, and the honored driver was the late Wendell Oliver Scott. Sadly I couldn't stay long to see much of the celebration or tour the old facilities, but I did get some pictures of the old classic race cars including Wendell's old No. 11 Ford coupe' sportsman.

Maybe I can post some of my pictures if the H.A.M.B. is okay with that.

I also was in North Carolina to collect my birthday gift my sisters bought me. The NASCAR Experience ride along. It was something my sister did for her husband on his birthday, and after seeing his delight in the ride she got together with the my other siblings and bought me a ticket.

In a word, :D:D:D:D:D!

22. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

John, THANKS for the props. Just finished block sanding and the old girl is looking racey. Just got the final coat of DP on her the day after this shot and she is now ready for some Candy Tangerine.
    [​IMG]

23. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

How much of the original cage was left in the car when it was found?

Kevin

24. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

Not much. Jabe Thomas cut most of the original cage out when he stripped the car in late 1966. As is depicted in the earlier photos, I was basically only able to save some of the frame. But, since there are no other 1964 H&M Galaxies * in existence, I decided to go ahead with the project. Jabe's strip job required a whole new period correct cage ...probably for the best since I plan to vintage race the car.

* The Fireball Roberts replica 1963 Galaxie that belongs to Lee Holman (and used to sit in the Joe Weatherly Museum for decades) actually started life as Banjo Matthews' (Foyt/Johnson) 1964 Galaxie.

EDIT:
    I completed the cage in C4HM-10041 today. The car is now in its final coat of DP40 and block sanding is done. Time for some Candy Tangerine soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  25. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

C5,

The Galaxy is really coming together so nicely. Love to see this racer at the Goodwood Revival, what a cool trip that would be. But that's a long way to go for a show. Maybe something a little closer to home, huh. :D

John

26. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

John, Goodwood is a hoot! Without doubt, the best car event in the world. I was there in 2004 with my Lorenzen/Holman Moody Galaxie. The Brits loved the car...and couldn't stop remarking about its size. The '64 is even bigger than the '65!

[​IMG]

27. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

Wow, C5, that's great. I didn't know you went over the pond for that event. I wonder if your '64 is on there web site. I'll have to check that. Yeah our friends over there love our big U.S. iron. I guess their remarks about its hugeness is because they don't have anything that big as a norm. Do you plan to return to Goodwood with your new project after completion?

28. C5HM

C5HM
    from TX

John, I'd love to take the '64 when it is done. We'll see if I can find a container large enough. My '65 H&M Galaxie (C5HM-10047) barely fit...the '64 is even longer and wider! Not sure if the Lorenzen car is on the FOS site...I did make the high light reel that year...after getting a little behind on my steering. HA! That car has gone on to a new home.
    [​IMG]

29. John McKenzie

John McKenzie

C5,

Did you do the rebuild/refurbish on the '65? It's just stunning. It is truly a master piece and I hope the home it found is a good one. Just dodged a bullet here with Hurricane Sandy. Last year Irene got us and there are many empty homes here in our area. As you can see, New York City and New Jersey got pummeled, and this could be going on for another several years according to some meteorologist. Personally, I've seen enough to last me a life time.