Register now to get rid of these ads!

Axle warning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RPM, Aug 18, 2012.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The Magnum 4 in. dropped axle I have has the same perch bolt and king pin center line measurements as the stock 40 Ford axle, plus it's 3/4 in. narrower. What other company makes a forged axle that has the same 40 Ford perch bolt (38 1/2in.), king pin dimension (48 1/2in.) and is 3/4 inches narrower than the stock 40 axle? Or, is the only option to have a stock 40 ford axle dropped to 4 inches? I don't want to split the wish bones. Also, when a stock 40 Ford axle is dropped 4 in. does it get narrower?

2. Yes and Yes......

3. I think I read somewhere that Chassis Engineering's axles are made by John Deere, CE contracted with John Deere's foundry to make them. Got one of Henry's originals under my truck, never saw one of Henry's break.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Hi Mike, I guess I am not astute enough to interpret your "Yes" and "Yes". Do you mean that when an original 40 ford gets dropped 4 inches it does get narrower. And, is my only choice is to use an original 40 Ford axle? Thanks, JIM

5. I recall someone talking about this sometime ago and saying that if you send it back and its faulty they will
    Cover all cost and replace it but if its sweet thr cost is on you is there any other way of knowing that the axel you have could be from that bad batch? Cost alot to send axels away from nz

6. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

X-Ray Laboratories here in Auckland will test your axle. Not sure on cost, but cost $40 to get my brake pedal done. 09 579 4972. Give them a call, they should be able to give you a close estimate.

7. Sweet as thanks

8. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

Damn. Who made that joint? Is it a name brand?

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would want a stock axle, dropped 4". Good axle droppers can do what is called a "stretch-drop", and keep the width the same.

Scroll down:

http://www.droppedaxles.com/FORD_AXLES.html

Give Sid a call, or email him.

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Crazy. Is that axle on the table useable? Would be incredibly cool chromed and on a show-rod.

11. 117harv

117harv

I pulled that pic from somewhere on here, I wouldn't use it, but if I saw it at a swap I would snag it...great conversation piece/wall hanger.

12. X-ray will shows cracks already started.

It won't identify the wrong alloy.

13. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

X-Ray can miss cracks , especially if they are small or shot from the wrong angle.

Cracks are better detected by U.T. , Die Penetrate or Magnaflux testing depending on the material they are made of.

14. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Unfortunately, there is a point where metal can be fatigued but not detected by any of these methods.

15. This was taken from the Australian Street Rod Federation website..

Affected Axle Models

The Magnum Axle Company believes that a faulty batch of 500 axles was manufactured between January 2008 and March 2009. It is believed the axles were manufactured from an incorrect grade of material (grey iron, rather than ductile or SG Iron).

The following Magnum part numbers are potentially subject to failure:

2852 1928 – 1936 Ford - 4 inch drop - 46 inches wide
    2850 1928 – 1936 Ford - 4 inch drop - 48 inches wide
    2860 1937 – 1941 Ford - 4 inch drop - 47 ¾ inches wide
    2855 1928 – 1936 Ford - 5 inch drop - 46 ½ inches wide

The Magnum Axle Company advises that Magnum brand tubular axles are not subject to the fault as the ends of the axle are forged and not cast. The main reason for issuing the safety warning is to make it clear that this same manufacturing problem will exist in all axles from the same batch. Affected axles may be in usage, fitted to project vehicles, or still be on sale (either new or second hand).

If you want to read more go here

http://www.asrf.org.au/wp-content/uploads/NTACBulletins1-12MagnumAxles.pdf