Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quain Scott Willys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser1961, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thank's Your right I am working on the date that glass bodys became legal. I think around 1965 not sure but I do know that every thing but the hull on most of them was glass.

2. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

When it comes to rules, you CANT make everybody happy...it doesnt matter if its old drag cars, new drag cars, dirt cars...whatever. Too many different opinions and pocketbooks.
    I'd just like to say thanks for posting the rules and the car pics. I hope to get out and see these cars run soon.

3. Larry T

Larry T

It was after 66, rules are posted here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334715

4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

5. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

love the car, what size is the engine

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It a small block chevy 406

7. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

The only thing metal on my Willys was the main body shell, and as much work as it was to fix I should have went Glass. Very cool class you guys have, I wish we would have done that on the West coast in the 80s, I would have never got rid of my car, but I just coud'nt afford to keep up with everybody ! my car had an iron block and clutch turbo and before long everbody else had Lenco's and Donovans and 17" wide tires! stick to your guns on the rules! I wish I was closer so I could come watch. Chris

8. violet springs

violet springs

I like your rules and what you are doing.

9. Man, I should of spent my money with you !........lol

10. chevy2junk

chevy2junk

A little info for those who don't know Quains history he built race cars back when people BUILT them.No catalogs .He did a 67 camaro for my aunt and uncle in the early 80's. Home built a arms,rear coil over shock set up with ladder bars as well as the square tube chassis.The car won Countless bracket races as well as Spring Nationals in Bristol Tn. and finished 3rd in national points that year.He built many super stock and modified cars that ruled the southeast when IHRA had Modified eliminator which was nothing but 11,000 rpm lauches and changing gears .Point to this everybody can split hairs about what their doing but this is easy for him .He and most of the guys hanging out in this deal have been full circle and are just trying to keep it fun .

11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks for your support. Your right I didn't know anybody remembered them days (we didn't have any of them tv shows back then to make a big deal out of it). I started building cars in 1975 (15 years old) I had built 72 cars by the time I sold out my shop in 1988. It's funny the stuff I was cutting out of peoples cars back then is the stuff I'm trying to track down and put back now. Just like you said we started this for fun a as soon as it stops being fun I'm done. I have another race car that is a full time job I don't need another one. We had to start our own deal because we built the cars then realized all the gasser deals just let any thing run and we were at a bad disadvantage racing with them.We would struggle even index racing because our stuff is so inconstant.

12. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I was lucky on my engine deal it was an old N2O engine that didn't have many runs on it. Fulton angled milled my heads and got the compression up I fixed some rocker arm problems and then I sold the N2O intake and carb that was on it. I did a lot of searching but in the end I came out good. I'm going to put some light weight pistons in it this winter so I can turn it up more.

13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

14. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quain,
    I watched the video of you shifting that car and i hollered to my husband to come and watch it. Very impressive. Cool car. We have 2 coupes and a pickup all steel and all 1940's.
    Gasser Girl

15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

16. chevy2junk

chevy2junk

Many of your old cars are still around .2 yr ago I repainted the Beretta you built for Dennis Ramey.Its a top sportsman car now.Hank Blankenships camaro wich I spoke of is entoombed in its trailor but maybe someday I can talk him into saddling up again.

17. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I'm not trying to take a shot at your car, just making a point about the rules. Like Larry said, we will NEVER have national standardized rules. It seems everyone wants to make the rules fit around their vision of what a current gasser should be. A lot of folks like to bash automatic transmissions, but by 65 or so they were ALL running automatics. Then somebody will have a magneto and want everyone to get rid of their hidden MSD's, etc. This is all for fun and entertainment. The gasser days are gone forever.

I spent 100's of hours looking at old photos and books before we built my car. Nothing was ordered from Speedway motors. It was my vision of a mid 60's gasser but with a modern roll cage and some drive line stuff. Alky was a no brainer since I didn't want a huge radiator or the cost of high octane race fuel. I guess I'm disappointed that I don't fit in with you guys. I love what you are doing and have tons of respect. I would probably have one of my projects at your shop if I lived closer. ;)

Please keep us updated with the Moonlighter Willys and also see if you can get us some build info on the Nightstalker.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  18. Bigfatforty

Bigfatforty

Quain,

Cool Willys, and thank you for trying to put "real" cars back on 1/8th mile tracks in the Southeast. It's what I grew up with. I saw Gene run his Willys a couple of times at the old Concord, NC Drag Strip and he put it on the rear bumper more than once. Several local A/G cars ran FE's in the day, but Gene's was one of the stonger ones. Really glad to hear that you're going to save that baby....

19. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

i see my old henry j the phantom in a black n white pic, ron that bought it from me told me about your deal, I think it is kool as hell, he had to change my car to ladder bar and raise it etc to run with you but i think he is liking it. congrats...sam

20. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Looks like that water pump is missing some parts, I think I have one like that , if you need it Ill donate it to the restoration, PM me with your address.. Chris

21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

We would love to have the pump was already trying to find one. I will send you my add and phone #. We are going to need all the help we can get for none of us have a lot of spare money these days. Also looking for a stearing box gene used it when he built the mustsang in the early 70s. He don't remember exactly what it came off of but he thinks it was a fiat. I think a stock willys will be good. I have a corvair on mine but we want his exactly the way it was.

22. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Ill dig that pump out, funny my Willys had a 38 Fiat steering box on it, Chris

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yea Ron is a good example he did a lot of work to make his car fit the rules. He said with some of the other deals he would drive for hours for a gasser race just to get there and find out they were letting anything run. He hopes our deal work so he can keep racing with us.

24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

If Gene's was a 38 box I will pay whatever within reason if any one has one send a pic Gene will know when he see it. You might be able to see the mounting bracket in one of the pics.

25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Shakey the cool thing about the night stalker is that there is no build info execpt for third member axels drive shaft and trans. And a little roll bar work it is just like it was in the day. It is one of the cars we modeled the rules after. He does have some pic's of them dragging it out of the woods I'll get them and post as soon as I can. We might need to start a new tread I think we have high jacked this one sorry.

26. drumyn29

drumyn29

Is there such thing as vintage SBC tall valve covers? Something that would clear shaft rockers?

27. spacers under the stock valve covers.

28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Moroso came out with a spacer in the late 60s or early 70s I have them on mine I don't know if they are p/c or not could be a few years off but not much.

29. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

is that a vertigate shifter or an h pattern

30. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It's a v gate I think I have found a used h pattern for it I'm trying to get everything possible like it was in the day.