Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long over due 1953 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyNapkin, Jul 27, 2012.

1. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

[​IMG][​IMG]So this is my 1953 Buick Special 8. I bought it 8 years ago and have been building it slow and steady. The pics shown are as it looked when I brought it home. Accept those are new tires. It was a stocker with a nice straight 8 and three on the tree. Time to get cutting......

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

My over all plane on the build. Is build a late 50's style kustom. The first thing to do was to lower that baby down. So late one night a friend and I took out the rear coil springs and replace then with some slam specialties air bags. Made it have a way better stance.

[​IMG]

3. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

4. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

The chop begins.... So I did my research and I believe I can figure it out. SO here it goes. We decided to cut 4 inchs out of the front and slant the back to where the back window looks and fits right. I am going to keep the posts straight and not slant them. On a crappy note. I found out my whole roof was covered in filler. It must have been in a hail storm at one time.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

First, welcome to the HAMB. Way to jump in with a custom build thread!! Safe to assume that your avatar is the same car? I'll be following this thread, interested in seeing how you worked your back glass into the chop. I'm going to be doing the same car, but have picked up a 49-52 Fleetline glass for the chop. Best of luck too you!!

Bill

6. jerseymike

jerseymike

if the car in your avatar is the finished car then you did a great job! looking forward to more pictures.

7. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Thanks Bill
    Yes my avatar is the same car. I've been building this car for the last 8 years. So I am trying to catch the thread up to where the car is actually at. When I first chopped it the plan was to keep the original wrap arould glass. I sunk the lower corners into the trunk. It worked and looked good but I decided to change it up. So I put a 50 Ford shoebox rear glass in. That pic I'll post later. The 49-52 Fleetline will look great.

jerseymike, I'm trying to get them up. Soon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Buick's looking good.......

9. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Great looking chop.

10. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Thanks guys....

So a friend had a 57 Packard in his junk yard so I had to sweet talk him into letting me cut the back half off so I could graph the tail on the car. Lets just say I waited for him to be in a good mood then I asked. And he said yes. SO time to go to work.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And I also changed the back window to 50 ford shoebox. Another junk yard score.....

11. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

12. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

While I was working on the back of the car I figured it was a good time to fix the wheel wells. They were rotted out and filled with bondo. And I mean bondo. So I cut the wheel well opening off and raised the opening 1 inch. Just to make it a little different. After that was ruffed in, I wanted to make my own skirts. I've never done this so I asked a couple of questions to a friend that has and got to work. I made a wooden buck that fit perfect and started pounding on metal.
    [​IMG]

The next step was to use the shrinker and stretcher to get the curve.

[​IMG]

I was happy with the way they turned out so its time to do some body work.

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Really cool! I dig that long tail and the skirts!

14. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Thanks 60widewhitez. It takes up more space in the shop now.

So I found an old picture of a 50 Buick that was built in the late 50's and the put "scoops" on the side of the hood. I've never scene anything like that so I had to do something similar. I also made grilles to inset in the scoops but they're still at the chrome shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. gatz

gatz

nice work, Dirt

scoops look good on 'er

16. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Ok, so the car has been with my buddy at his shop getting her all straight and ready for shinny paint. When I was bored I ended up finding some Appleton's for her. So I went up there and drilled the holes and mounted them. But when all was said and done something bothered me. I felt once the stainless was back on, the grilles were in the scoops and the port holes were placed back in. That it would be just too busy..... So I decided to fill in the port hole holes. I know its a Buick marking but I felt it would flow better that way. What do you guys think?????????????? Here's how she looks.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. redstraw

redstraw
    from tn

well I like it better with the ports in the side but its your car. but I did find it funny when you said you had to wait till your buddy was in a good mood to ask about the rear I think everyone has bean there lol. oh by the way that car kicks ass.

18. robertsregal

robertsregal

I like the stance, all looks good,I would have left the port holes and had the scoop inverted to keep more smooth apperance,just my thoughts!

19. wallyringo

wallyringo

it coming together great, beautiful 53, got to say the port holes should of stay with the side trim. and ditch the spot lights. but hey i like it and dig what your doing.

20. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

Looks great. keep posting pics. CTJ

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll jump in here and say that keeping both the portholes and the scoops made the side of the car to "busy" IMHO. I kinda like the scoops, so I don't mind losing the [portholes too much. Overall, a very nice job.

22. i really dig it. what are your plans for color?

23. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Thanks EVERYONE for their input. I like the port holes I just haven't scene many cars with the scoops like that. So I thought it would be cool and different. And sadly I didn't even think of not running the spotlights. So I guess I should've asked earlier. I think once color and some shinny stainless is on there the ports holes will be forgotten.

I am going to do a sea foam green close to original and a cream as its accent color. The game plan is to have the fire wall and dash painted tomorrow. So hopefully I'll have some pics to share tomorrow. We are so behind it's not funny.

24. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good! You're on the right track.. But the scoops don't work for me. I think the opening is too round and squared off.. Doest quite flow with the car.. I can't quite find the right words, but I think its too "pronounced".. Like it would flow better if it was a little lower in profile. And maybe if the bottom of the opening was pulled back a could inches? If that makes any sense? Just one Custom guys opinion. Any way, keep on can't wait to see more pics. I LOVE me some 53 Buicks.

25. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

Jkustoms, Thanks for the input. I respect your opinion a lot. Maybe the scoops will grow on you once you see them in a few different angles. LOL.

On another note.... After another long day I finally got some shiny paint on her. Here's just one shot of the dash. The photo gives it no justice. Its a minty/sea foam green that I picked out of a color chart. Once we ran the code we found out it was a Mercedes color. And the cream that we picked was from a Chrysler 300. They flowed really nice together and looked really traditional. Let me know what you guys think.....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

26. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Looking great man. While I do miss the port holes, I agree, they will be forgotten once the whole thing is done.

Cant wait to see it come together.

Oh, if you decide not to run the spotlights, I will buy them in a heartbeat. I call dibbs :p

27. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

That's looking fantastic.

I'm a fan of "less is more" so if the port holes were too much, then they're too much.

Can't wait to see it in paint.

28. outlaw256

outlaw256

never been a big fan of customs.but there are a few that i do like and this is one of them!i do admire the talent and work invovled in building one.and i think you nailed this on.perfection!!

29. Labold

Labold

Great work! You're makin it look easy!
    It's coming out really nice. I think you made a good choice doing away with the ports. I like them on a stocker but it cleans it up alot on a custom. Colors look great too. Keep on keep'n on.

30. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

THANKS guys for all the positive and great words. So after 12+ hours in the booth yesterday I am happy to saw the car is painted. Everything came out great and a big thanks to my friend and painter Kyle Martin for killing it. Here are some pics. More to come. It was 9 p.m. and we were started at 7 a.m. I can't wait to see it in the sun. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]