Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage *Mr.ModelT and Powerwagonmaniac's epic journey to Bonneville!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powerwagonmaniac1, Aug 19, 2012.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Twist my arm Jim...;)

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Clayton, I've been out of the loop a while but wanted to tell you that I'm so happy for you guys that you did it!! You worked hard to make this trip happen and I can't imagine what an experience it must have been!! Maybe someday our roadsters can make a pass across the salt or some, dry lakebed together!

Glad you made it there and back and glad you guys are home in one piece!! And by the way....I see from the pics that you got salt all over "my" top!!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. MrModelT

MrModelT

That would surely be an epic journey! Which T would you take? Simple T?

I believe that for sure :D

Thank you kindly my friend! There are many nice looking and well built T's out there, I'm just really honored that mine has become so revered by so many in such a short amount of time.

...You should have made it to Speed Week then! :D You will, there will be plenty of chances to see her.

Even though you naturally have a little apprehension about it not making it, I knew she would. Even Model T's can still stand up with cars of today!

It is only a minor setback. I had an extra crank and told Chris he should have thrown it in the truck and the "Special" on the trailer so we could switch it out in the Hotel parking lot! :D

....he didn't want to, I wonder why? :confused:

The "Special" will be back on the road in no time. Chris has already tracked down a new "EE" series crank and it won't take much to switch it out.

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you kindly Bugsy! I'm happy too that we made it and with little trouble. The issues we did face only make it more memorable. :D

Sorry you didn't make it out to the salt this time, was really hoping you would :( I do agree though...I see our roadsters racing across the salt or a dry lake bed (which would be a bit more fitting) in the near future :D

...and I was "Christening" the top for you in the salts of Bonneville :rolleyes:

5. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Clayton,

What an adventure man!!! it just proves that old technology can still go great distances.

I had my flat four powered '31 roadster at Speed week last year and loved every minute of it.

I will look for you on the salt next year.

Tex

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Yup, you are definitely my new Hero!

There is only one way to have memories like that,
    That is to make them!

You do realize you have set the benchmark to
    which all other road trips to Bonneville
    will now be measured against.

Congrats!!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    volvobrynk likes this.
  7. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Cool story!!!!!!!!!
    Great thread !!!

Thanks!!

8. Fantastic.

What's it like passing and/or being passed by big rigs on the highway?

I'm thinking a T-shirt would be cool- with the top up.

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you kindly! To Chris and I, it was just a road trip that we had talked about doing for years. After the death of Chris's dad Bill, It really became a personal journey, revolving around both Bill's memory and my Grandfather who passed away before seeing all this and my own emergence into Hot Rodding come to pass. After all....they were our inspirations...and our heros.

Chris and I never set out to be "heros", "H.A.M.B Legends" or "raise the Bonneville road trip bar" ...but we are sure honored that you all feel that way.

We are simply honored to be able to share our journey with all of you.

Thank you kindly Micky!

Thanks! It certainly does Tex! Sure, they might have some mechanical issues and aren't as fast, but they still can get the job done!

...and what modern car HASN'T had the same issues?

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  10. MrModelT

MrModelT

A little creepy being passed by big rigs doing 75 mph, but they were watching out for us. Chris was chatting with a driver in Ontario that said "we knew about ya....There was CB chatter as far ahead as Boise and Wells about an antique car headed that way"

Every single one gave me the "horn salute" and a thumbs up...and in several occasions blocked for me and didn't crowd us either...making our trip that much safer.

I like the shirt idea....might just have to do that :cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

12. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Oops forgot the picture............:eek:

[​IMG]

13. MrModelT

MrModelT

14. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

a fine ending to the saga! our intrepid hero over-comes all! good job clay.

15. richie rebel

richie rebel

great story,great photos,thanks for sharing.........

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Tim!

I'm glad that I was able to share it with you.

17. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Fred! It really was the trip of a life time. I didn't know exactly what I was getting into, but it really did become a dream fulfilled.

Did you just coil a term Jim? ...The "Clayton Rebuild"? :D

18. GMM

GMM
    from Buhl, ID

Ohh man!! Definitely next time look me up. I would love to see that bad boy!

19. FatRanza

FatRanza

Epic adventure Clayton, way to go!

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. MrModelT

MrModelT

If I had known, I certainly would have! ...go thing there is always a next time.

Thanks kindly! I'm just happy it was a good trip and that I got to share it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. VA T

VA T

Clayton, it was really great meeting you on the salt. Both you and your early modified made a real impression on me. Have since enjoyed reading your build..You are a fine spokesman for early hotrodding. A real pleasure meeting you. Best to you. Vance

22. VA T

VA T

The name I couldn't come up with at Bonneville is "RAY BOWLES". His '25 roadster was originally built by Frank Palmer. Car won Best Appearing Car in '49 Pasadena Reliability Run. A good article in Mark Morton's Hop Up covers car's history, ownerships, and demise.

Have never seen photo of car with headlights mounted low following Frank Curtis aluminum work. Their later high placement doesn't do car justice.

Building a tribute car could be a lot of fun. I've done drawings.

23. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clayton,
    This is one of the best road trip threads that i have ever seen on the hamb. Thank you so much for posting it. You and that car have a definate connection. Loved your story.
    Gasser Girl

24. slobroy

slobroy

Thanks for the ride along Clayton.

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*Update*
    A look at the "Specials" new 2-piece crank

On our Trip to Bonneville, disaster struck 52 miles out when the crank let go. After getting it home and with our Bonneville adventure over, Chris put the "Special" up in the air and dropped the pan to take a look....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On close inspection, the crank is a clean break that was badly cracked before we even set out for Bonneville (appears to have been crack for years almost half way through) and was only a matter of time.

Fortunately, there does not appear to be any other damage to anything else...so this should simply be a "crank transplant"

More to come

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  26. MrModelT

MrModelT

Vance, It was a real pleasure for me as well. I am glad that I could finally show some appreciation for a another T hot rod that I really admire....just sorry I couldn't have seen it in person.

I never intended to be a "spokesman" for early hot rodding, but I am honored to take on the challenge :)

Also, thanks for the info on the other T....I knew it would come to one of us after we got home :D

Thank you kindly! There are plenty of awesome threads here, I'm just glad to be able to share it with all of you and to have been able to make this trip in the first place.

No Problem Slobroy....I always have plenty of room for "ride alongs" :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Man that was a good read. Good times, great stories, awesome photos. What a trip. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad that you and the T made it round trip.

Will this become an anual or bi-anual journie??

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. MrModelT

MrModelT

Me too my friend, me too. We set out to make this trip for my Grandpa and Bill and even though the "Special" didn't make it...Chris and I both did and that was all that really mattered to me.

I am pleased that the roadster made it and it made this that much more memorable to me.

I don't know about annual (all though I would LOVE to make it so)... I will return with in the next 5 years...perhaps with the T..or maybe the Falcon... :D

The trip proved to be an emotional roller coaster....the good times with friends, the excitement of the adventure, the frustration of issues with the law, the sting of defeat having to trailer her from Boise and the underlying memorial story behind the trip made the first time I laid eyes on the salt and when my tires kissed the salt the most memorable moments of my life....and one of my most emotional victories.

At that time, and when I reached home safely, I could not help but think about George Schuster and the Thomas-Flyer crew on the New-York to Paris race....that I know how they must have felt when they reached Paris. I only traveled 1,732 miles as compared to their 22,000 mile adventure, but I help but appreciate their journey more now.

I am proud to have made this trip and honored to have been with who I made it with.

This trip was exactly what I hoped it would be, yet nothing like I could ever have imagined.

29. Thank You so much for the "virtual ride along, Clayton"! This thread should be required reading for new members of the HAMB, just to inspire them to persevere and live their dreams.;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you so very much for the kind words Bowtie :D

Required reading? is there a "H.A.M.B. Academy" that I didn't know about? :rolleyes:

This was something that I have always wanted to do, and the most important lesson Bill taught us at the shop was "there isn't anything you can't do"..

..why not? It's all just math, metal, tooling and vision. "So what if it's broke and we can't find another...lets just make one"

To me this trip was no different.