Register now to get rid of these ads!

Losing your storage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Genius.... build a shed/box and doctor it up to look like a POD. It can be done...

Bob

2. STEAL a pod... empty it, and set it up in the front yard!!!:D

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"Hope my Wife doesn't discover the garage is full of car parts."

I bet you're in that recent thread about hiding cars and parts off site from the Wife!?

Some friend! Cut and hinge a new, large size door in the back wall of the barn to access your half. If it's long term storage, how often to you have to get access to it anyway.
    Problem solved.

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Thing is we have enough Christmas decorations in Rubbermaid tubs to do 3 houses... all stored in the back of the garage, which is a deep one car garage (16x30). [/QUOTE]

Take 3/4 of the Christmas decorations out of the tubs, donate to the thrift store and place your car parts in the tubs. The Wife will probably never know-unless you get rid of her favorite decorations.
    Problem solved.

Or, simply build/buy a 12' x 12' shed in the back yard for the decorations. Will they fit in the house or garage attic, under the house?

4. Florida... No basements... We are only 15' above sea level.

5. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

& *this* time, get agreement in writing (costs, time, etc), including offering, & putting in, new rear access door.

Marcus...

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by 4t64rd [​IMG]
    I rent half a barn from my friend's dad, informal arrangement... He's old and prone to deciding "he's to old to deal with this shit"... He wants to be able to just toss his stuff where ever it lands, and my stuff is in the BACK half, so he doesn't want to have to keep a clear path for me to get in and out... before I rented it, it was just a dump off place.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Some friend! Cut and hinge a new, large size door in the back wall of the barn to access your half. If it's long term storage, how often to you have to get access to it anyway.
    Problem solved.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Typically a shed is no tax increase as it's not a permanent structure. At least most of MI cities and townships are like that. Concrete, electrical, that's a different gig, more "permanent" in construction. If you do end up with a wood floor shed don't forget to mothball it once or twice a year.

7. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

Rent another storage unit from some other place. Back two trailers up to the place you have now (one is a keep and the other is a donate/sell) put it all in the new storage unit with keep stuff at the back and purge the rest when you have time.

You'll have a bigger unit than what you need but it gives you time to look for another sweet deal like the one you had.

8. Sell all ya good stuff on here

9. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

Why is she in the garage? :mad:

;)

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Your situation is what makes me leary of renting the empty garage next door to my house,its cheap but I am afraid I wont be able to keep it as long as I like. I do rent a garage that I can rent as long as I want and if I would let it go I probably could never get back in.

11. RodStRace

RodStRace

We all seem to expand our collections to the available space. I have been guilty of having storage before, but I think this is your wake-up call. How much were you spending to warehouse this stuff? How much is the stuff worth selling within a month or 2? Not what you hope to get but what will you really have in your pocket?
    No point in spending 50 bucks a month to store 500 bucks of stuff. Better to liquidate it all and droip the money in the current project...

12. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with RodStRace, it's time to reassess. "Free" storage arrangements inevitably go sour, and paying for storage is like renting your own stuff. 50 bucks a month = 600 per year. After five years you've spent $3,000. Don't know what you're storing, but unless it's solid gold unobtanium that you have a definitive plan for using, it just doesn't pencil. Better to sell it now, and if you need it later, you get to have some fun hunting for it again at swap meets.

13. Are you behind in rent? ... and that is why you have a three day notice? ... if so your solution is simple, .. pay up.

If not and you kept your half of the rental agreement then get a lawyer and sue the landlords arse .... in the meantime yhou have a little breathing room to find a new place. ..... you as a tenant, have more rights than the landlord, as long as you kept your half of the agreement.

14. modeleh

modeleh

You may as well get rid of everything all at once. Whatever you keep you won't end up using, and whatever you throw away you'll find you need it a week later. Never fails.

15. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

I bought a used 24 foot Haulmark trailer and it's paid for itself. Keep a current license plate on it, and if it has a lot of valuable parts in it , you CAN get contents insurance. The 24 foot trailer was the largest I could fit in my driveway. It has 10,000 lb axles, so if I want to sell it, anyone can buy it -race car owner, landscaper, etc. Good luck!
    Bob

16. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Get rid of the damn Christmas decorations and put your stuff in your garage where it belongs !

17. DGass87

DGass87
    from Hardin, KY

had something similar happen to me, only i had 3 weeks, not 3 days. i had a 6 bay 35x115 shop with parking for ~25 on a dead end street that i was renting for $275/month (ya that price will never happen again) and there was no contract, just a "pay the rent, stay another month" kind of thing. landlord called me one morning and told me i had 3 weeks to vacate because he had signed a 5 year lease with someone on the property at $6000/year. yah, he was full of shit because nobody has been there except people scavenging through what i left. the place was full, i had no clue what i was going to do and with a week left, i said fuck it and loaded all my tools and truely valuable parts into the truck, put them in a 10x10 storage building, and scrapped everything else.

18. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Sometimes you just gotta ask yourself "Do I want a garage/basement cluttered with cool car parts scattered everywhere or would i rather have an actual car (or two!) that runs and drives?" The running car gets my vote and sometimes it helps to just liquidate car parts and even whole car projects that you know you're obviously never gonna use or get around to. If you find yourself attached and unable to sell, I'd consider a moving POD temporarily.

19. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Lay boards in your attic and store what you can. Spread it out to equalize the weight. If it will come the the door it will go in the attic. Mines full

20. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

my shop is packed, and iv got car parts in most every room in my house, my wife dont care what i do.
    i say take every thing home and find room for it till you weed it out, if your wife dont like it, get a better wife..