Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I am now officially a hot rodder!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What a great little 47, super clean. :)

You asked about tall aluminum valve covers to clear your roller rockers. Edelbrock makes tall one that will do that. This is a pair I have on my 27 and they clear a high lift cam and roller rockers fine. This is a Ford engine, but Edelbrock makes them for sbc too.

Don

[​IMG]

I found the sbc ones in the Summit catalog. About $ 185 a pair.

[​IMG]

2. Lil32

Lil32

cool, good luck with build, cheers

3. Plym 46,
    I was going to adapt the iconic 9"-10" "cake pan" type air cleaner to it, but now I don't think I have room. I think I will use one of the filters for 97's that has a paper filter. I'll measure to see how much room I have between the hoses and use as big a filter as I can get in there.
    97's don't flow much, but they deserve a better filter than the POS that is on there.

4. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Nah!!! Put three deuces on that flatty... at least two??? and put in a good cam??? After all, you're callin' yourself a "hot rodder" now ain't ya???;)

Nice score Mike!!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  5. HawgHead

HawgHead

Why is it that when people think about replacing the stock engine in an old Ford the first thing that comes to mind is a SBC? I guess that most people don't know that Ford makes some pretty good small blocks themselves. Nice car though, enjoy.

Scott

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  6. Been a long time since someone called me spanky!:p
    Here's the deal. have the interior done in Tomato Red roll&pleat Naugahyde, nerf bars front and back, some tasteful striping. Cutouts peeking out under the front of the doors. I'm going to have the tail pipes moved from "cowboy" style, straight out under the bumper, to turned down behind the rear wheels. The build "theme" is typical high school hot rod mid 60's.
    I was going to run full Moons, but the more I'm around the chrome reverse and baby Moons the more I like them.
    I intend to talk to the interior guy to see if welded pleat vinyl is available. When we were in school in the 60's, most interiors came from J C Whitney, or Rayco, and were welded pleats. Few of us had the money for sewn pleats.
    I have a nice 350 on the cradle just in case the old flathead dies. That would actually be more in keeping with my "theme" as by the time we were in school in the mid 60's, flatties had all but disappeared.
    I'm going to keep the column shifter. The shifter in this car has been totally rebuilt, and shifts like butter! Of course, back in the day, everyone wanted a floor shifter, even if it wasn't as smooth as the stock setup!
    Didn't get much sleep last night, was up at 5:15 this morning!

It's important to me to keep the car in a state where it can be put back stock if someone wants to. I own a rare TT120R Triumph Bonneville that the monkeys who owned it before me ruined as far as restoration is concerned.
    You can buy cut up cars cheap, but there is a reason for that! OK, rant over.

7. BAJ

BAJ
    from Ontario

Nice score. Have fun with it.

8. Scott, no doubt Ford makes some good engines, but I've been a bowtie all my life, and beside, I already have the 350....

9. When we lived in Indiana, my dad built midgets. One of the things he taught me was that there is a "teeter totter", if you will, with dependability on one side, and performance on the other. Higher performance many times comes at the expense of dependability.
    I want to leave the flathead in there as long as it will go.

10. Or create an album right here on the HAMB. Pretty easy to do.

Edit:

Damn it I got sidetracked, nice car friend.

Then just open the pic, right click and copy and paste.

11. Very nice score! Don't listen to this guy. :rolleyes:

12. Hey Mike,sounds like you got your blood all flowing again here with your old Ford.Your on the right track.,
    Bob

13. Went to photobucket. Registered. Tried to download pics from my computer, it said my pics were too big. no instructions on how to make them smaller. Went to contact page, it wouldn't load.
    Thanks, guys, but I'm staying with image shack. At least I can get it to work.
    I won't be posting enough photos to have to jump through hoops to get it done.
    I have no desire to learn the computer any more than I absolutely have to.

BTW, thanks Bob!

14. Sounds like just "good clean fun". [​IMG]

15. I learned to drive a stick shift in a car just like that. My buddies and I took turns driving between rows of orange trees as fast as we could go. Ventura County, 1958

16. No way are your pics to big. How many megapixels is your camera?

17. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

SBCs bolt right in with no need to cut the firewall, the oils pan works, etc. Ford Motors are great but a traditional (from that era) Ford OHV from does not bolt in like a Chevy does.

Mike, the car looks better and better with every new pic!!

18. It says 5.3 MP on the front, is that megapixels? Whatsa megapixel?

19. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

What ever you do ,be true to yourself, and do it your way. Love your car,have fun fun fun.

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yep, I'm no SBC fan, but they fit as-is, Fords don't.

Megapixels. Easiest way to eplain it to an old timer is remember the old newspaper ads? The type was pretty easy to read. Line drawings were okay, but a picture was tougher to reproduce. You could see each of the little ink dots they used to make the image. Those were done with a printer that is similar to your computer printer, that is rated by Dots Per Inch or DPI. (Not really the same, but you get the idea).
    The image from your camera is the same, lots of little receptors that gauge the brightness and color of the light hitting it. The bigger the number, there are more and smaller little 'eyes' are used to 'see' the image.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5498113_megapixels-explained.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_8122012_explain-megapixels.html
    [​IMG]

21. Great to hear you got the car. If you need anymore help on the build, feel free to ask. Also on the exhaust, what about some scavenger pipes ending at the rear axle.
    Matt

22. A megapixels is the pixels the camera sees basically the higher the number the better the pic quality. And 5.3 is really low. My the camera in my phone is 8 and personal camera is 14.and i have no problems uploading with either. If I were closer I could probably help a little more. But you seem to have the other website down pretty good. So let's get back to car talk. I really dig the new ride. Great family car!

23. Thanks, Glendale. Family is grown and gone,and Crissie passed away in November. But I have plenty of sprint car friends and we can take Henry out for a beer run once in awhile.

24. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

What a beautiful car...great job!

25. Just curious- where in Ventura County?

26. Ha HA, Was thinking the same thing - Not a Hot Rodder YET - Just a dude with a cool old car and a dream to BE a Hot Rodder :D:D:D:D:D

27. U-235

U-235

Good luck with the mouse smell. I hve used a pan of coffee grounds (unused) before. Nor heard of the new tires for a couple of days trick before. The trouble is, is that the urine smell penetrates everything, even the cloth wiring. Since you are going to replace the interior, I would sugest you clean and scrub everything and then cover everything with POR-15. Its lots of work, but boput the only way to eliminate the smell. You certaibly don't want your wife/girl/or buddies going "whats that smell" after you've installed a new interior, because if your not thorough, the smell WILL linger. When you go to do that interior, think about off setting that all red with a contrasting piping like white or black. and rethink those tailpipes. just sayin

28. Damn! you dudes are f-in hardcore!:D I do have to admit to a lot of muscle cars in my past. Probably learned some bad habits. Hey! I could put some rally's and raised white letters on it!! And a hood scoop!

29. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Wait a minute, is this a sewing club or a hot rod site? A small block CHEVY drops right in????? Since when was "easy" the right way to go? The flathead looks perfect in your car, run it!

Coming from a guy with more chevys than fords....

30. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Signals...Ford way was to install '49-50 2 filament sockets into parking lights. Taillights already 2 filament, so any 7-wire switch completes the job.