Register now to get rid of these ads!

1933 Phaeton Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, May 23, 2012.

1. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I got the body on the frame, and started working on the doors on the car. All of the doors had some bondo, dents, and rust. So I'll be taking care of all those issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The passenger rear door had a lot of dents so I first worked them out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the middle had some bullet holes. So I decided to make a patch to take care of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The passenger front door was also full of bondo and had three huge dents as well as lots of smaller dents. So again I first worked out all the dents, then I made a patch panel for the bottom rust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome!!!! Love seeing you whip sheet metalwork back into shape!

3. MORodder

MORodder

amazing work!

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Great project !!!!!!!!!!! Phaetons make a great ride, especially with a family.

Keep us posted....4TTRUK

5. Mart

Mart

Nice job!

Lots of detail pics of the sheetmetal repairs would be a treat.

Those shown above have given me some ideas already.

First off, I need more clamps.

Lots more clamps...

Mart.

6. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Awesome work so far... thanks for posting these in-progress shots! It almost makes me want to go work on mine in this heat... almost.

7. ken1939

ken1939

Looking good!

8. brady1929

brady1929

damn you do awesome work

9. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

10. Damn, after seeing your original shots I thought that was a pretty cherry steel body.
    Goes to show what the old painter meant when he said, "A good paint job covers a
    multitude of sins..."

Always enjoy the detail shots of your fine craftsmanship.

11. Chris,
    Was good to see ya at your shop party on our way to the salt. I love looking at your progress photos on these projects. I am sure it will be a very cool ride. Hope to see it next year when we make the trip out your way.

12. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I'm in the process of welding in the patch on the passenger front door.

[​IMG]

13. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I finished up the passenger front door today. Now its on to the other two doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ken1939

ken1939

Super Duper! I did not realize that the hinges were two parts. a top and a bottom not a front side and rear side.

15. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Being this car has a center body section that the doors hinge to does this make the doors shorter than a more door sedan? I am asking because :) I really want a Phaeton and well I have a rough more door

16. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Those center pieces are most likely not tin ? mat least they aren't on my 39 convert sedan. They are a cast heavy piece

17. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work! I like where it's headed too! If anyone can do it, it's you!

18. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Ya they are really weird hinges. They have a brass ball in the middle that the bolt goes through. The hinges ride on that brass ball.

The center pieces are made out of tin with wood in the middle. They do have steel braces that attatch to the floor and the wood to help support. And the center piece that the seat attatches to also attatches to both center supports and braces them from spreading apart from each other.

The doors are all by them self being an austrailan body. The USA bodies dont have that thick center piece and both doors meet together in the middle like the close car's do. So you could just make your 4 door like the USA phaetons.

19. dad-bud

dad-bud

1. Clamp abuse - pure and simple - I should report you to the SPCC.
    2. Bondo counted as metalwork in the '70's.
    3. It's not the passenger side - it's the driver's side - what is wrong with you? You have put the brake pedal and master on the wrong side! An Aussie body phaeton needs to be built RHD.
    Other than that - subscribed.

20. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks Salt Flats Speed Shop I appreciate the knowledge Now get back to work and take tons of pics please :D

21. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I got working on the drivers rear door. It had about a pound of lead in the door that I melted out. Had quite a bit of damage, but I got it all worked out.

Now i'm making a patch for the rust at the bottom of the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. ken1939

ken1939

Having read this I will make sure I build my 32 Aussie Tub RHD :)

23. ken1939

ken1939

The lesson here is to fix the damage. I think this is another object lesson in what you "Can" do in regards to fixing bad panels or non existent rusted out ones.

Take some time and think about what you can do. Then try it. I think Saltflats is showing everyone how you can still be a craftsman in todays world of new panels and fiberglass bodies, and with really simple tools.

I concur on the wood in the Australian bodies, my Tub is like this one. The B pillars are wooden cores with the metal tacked to them, and a giant foot bracket that bolts to the wooden frame rails. I understand when people want to steel them out, in cases where they do not have a shred of wood to work from. Part of me is kind of a pureist in regards to leaving the wood in or making new.

Kind of like me an 63 Novas, leave the 6 banger alone! If you want a V8 buy a 64:)

Cant wait for more!

24. titus

titus

If you havent gotten to putting the other doors back on i dont supose i could ask you to take some pics of the door hinge hardware? i have a 34 aussie pheaton, i have both door and body side hinges but no hardware. any pics would be much appreciated.

heres a pic of mine

Attached Files:

25. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Those Aussie hinges are a pain ,they have a brass ball to pivot on ,but they do cross exchange right front top to left rear top and on the bottom set also they are the same ,i went thru this 35 years ago they were hard to get back then ,there was one type that had a built in stop cast into them that led to them being broken ,,

26. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

All the latch hardware was just hacked in place. I'm really surprised that they didn't use the roadster style latch and striker that prevents the door from opening if it somehow it moves apart from the cowl. But this one had closed car style latches. That is something I am going to replace with the new reproduction 34' roadster latches and hardware.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from before I removed the inner-structure from the doors. But the doors had steel tubing inside so they had already been changed from what was there originally. I can take pictures of the hardware if you want.

27. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I finished up the drivers rear door today. Nice to see it come together after what I started with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Man, this thing is pretty sweet. Can't say I like the idea of an automatic but that's just me.. Auto or not, the metalwork in this thread puts mine to shame.

I guess I'm going to go and start collecting rocks or stamps now. :p

29. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Killer work man. Love where this Phaeton is going!

Subscribed!!!

30. lorodz

lorodz

awsome metal skillz ..