Register now to get rid of these ads!

End of hot rodding and modifying in the uk ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UK RUSS 1960 OLDS, Aug 22, 2012.

1. [Edit: I've decided to edit my post. It was probably too political]

In any case, I stand with you, my British, Aussie and Kiwi brethren!

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. Whereas we have a number of clubs recognised by the authorities who are far more sympathetic to modified vehicles - not least the VSCC which is littered with historic specials, not to mention a few Lords amongst the club members.

3. deto

deto

Ditto... I know this is a no politics zone but eventually the nanny-state thing is going to affect us state side. The hamb may have no choice but to get a little bit political in the not so far off future in the interest of self preservation.

4. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Organize and be loud and proud. Do some cruise ins in protest when your government is in session. Get to the news media. Name the bastards sponsoring the bill. The squeaky wheel does get oiled. Don't just sit back and take it. Good luck

5. B Blue

B Blue

And some folks see bogey men around every corner.

6. the industry in the Uk is actually worth over £4billion.....and people are just bitching amongst themselves, the classic boys dont like us, we dont wana play with the VW boys who think we are a bunch of elitist twats and no one wants to even talk to the tuner people......the only people who seem to be open to anything are the retro riders... If we all could pull our heads out of our arses we might even be a force that could do sumat!!

7. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

I've read the posts on here and notice some Brit comments saying words to the effect it won't happen it's a multi million dollar industry.....so was shipbuilding.....where is that now?

8. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

you think it cant happen,
    ,think again

9. EU leglisation stopped us from building ships?! Well I never knew that...

10. Damned right.

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Well if it did happen I would lose my job and my rod at the same time!

Great!

David

12. hershambob

hershambob

i belive the uk nsra did try to speak to the dvla/goverment about testing/registering street/hot rods as in australia and new zealand

13. Again, look at how we do it. Im sure we have the best, most advanced system thanks to a few dedicated good people.
    Pull together now, study us, and get cracking before its all to late.

Go here

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

14. UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

Hi paulatxntric,

I couldn't agree more with your post.

I remember a similar discussion on another forum a year or two back. We came to the conclusion that if we lumped all the hotrodders, kustoms, classics, VW, retro boys etc etc together we probably wouldn't amount to 5% of the motoring population in the UK, if we all stick together it will be an uphill struggle, all trying to go it alone no chance.

As "skollop" (hi Bill) said earlier about the motorcycles, there maybe lots of different styles and clubs over here in the UK that do their own thing, but when anything threatens two wheeled transport they all close ranks and stick together as far as i can see.

Cheers.

Russ.

15. UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

Hi Jeff,

If we were on our own i think something along those lines might work, trouble is these laws are coming from the EU which unfortunately we are part of.

Cheers.

Russ.

16. Well i wish you Britts all the best, and hope this dosent affect your motoring hobby to badly.

17. Skoty

Skoty

seriously! what the heck!? if this happens what do i do!? i have no hobbies except cars?? my life would pretty much end! all i have is my girlfriend and my cars! i cant see this working as as its been said its not just us that'll dip out, billions of pounds a year must be made by selling custom parts putting on shows stuff like that, 1000s of people will lose there lively hood, i really do not get what this government is doing right now, except stuffing everything up!!?? i really think they have no clue!!

i reckon all us british rodders should meet up and go on a massive protest!!?? we could even get together with all the plastic fantastic guys as its gonna effect them too, even though they can just remove the sticky tape holding there 'custom parts' on haha.
    because this is really gonna suck, to me hotrods and custom cars is a life style not just a hobby.

18. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

No.....that old tried and tested uk trait called apathy did

19. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

We go to war or we find another hobbie,and i'm not into gardening!

20. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

I drive my daily driver 20k a year, and any toys get drivin maybe less then a quarter of that in a year because of weather and time. So which one is doing the most damage to the environment?

21. Unless people come together on a common platform, it will be the end eventually. It's the seperations that make us weak. When somebody who into pre-war cars seperates themselves from a tuner who seperates himself from the traditional hotrodder who seperates himself from the restorer who sperates himself from... and so on, it will fall apart! I assure you that the lawmakers will take full advantage of this weakness!

Motorcyclists (Harley/US made riders and Asian Mfg riders) came together to squash helmet laws (we are NOT against helmets, just the laws) and it has worked in many states. Together we are stronger than any one sub-group. You think this may be a long way off in North America, but think about all the laws regarding "junk" cars. How many states have laws that give them the right to come onto your private property and remove what they deem as "junk"? There are more than a few and more are trying.

22. No. What killed the ship building industry was very strong competition from Japan and Korea, a breakdown in labour relations, but mainly piss poor management.

Which is why I support a number of clubs and associations with a common goal that are approaching this in a calm, reasonable, and thoughtful manner.

23. Scumdog

Scumdog

And of course the regs that could affect hot-rods wil affect ANY modified vehicle - camper-van, handi-capped drivers vehicle, limo etc etc...

24. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

I once read a book, and believe me I' m not really into reading books, it was George Orwell's 1984, living under big brother, a fairly depressing read, I can see similar comparison's with what's happening in Europe.
    These laws tend to spread, even to non Eu countries, we need to be on our guard

25. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

26. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

i bet the majority of the British population will agree this is junk, but if you were to do a survey in my country, or even France and sure as fuck most others in bloody EU im sure most will agree with the new laws, as the general idea is that we are a bunch of lowlifes with loud and dangerous pieces of crap cars, be them customs, hot rods, jdm, VWs or whatever. You also have to conside the huge bigotry of the population.

27. well that sums me up!!

28. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

lol, me too actually, if criminal record n driving a project is enuff to judge someone ;)

29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey

I'm not sure if I get this right. But we (In Denmark) was informer that the new EU-rules should be understud like this;

When a car passes 35yrs you get the tax reduced to 1/4 of what you pay now. With is acording to the weight of the car and something extra on top for F+ (High Fuel consumption). In my case that mean, that my car went from 1280kr for 6 month of driving, down to 310kr. On top of that Id I'm stop using it as a Daily Driver I only have to go to MOT every 8yrs Instead of every 2yrs.

But hence so many peopel try to get everything for free, EU wants to put a stop that.
    So from now on it means the to get Classic benefits you cars has to be Stock! If you hop up the motor og hot rod it, you are forced to pay full tax and go to normal MOT.
    But we still are alowed to do what the law alowes us too.

Is't this what this is about, or em I to stupid to get what this is about?

30. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

You know, for ages I thought your name was Paula and you were in to tantric sex or something. Shit...