Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Pretronix left me sitting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Jul 19, 2012.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yep... I drove out to Bonneville and back and just had to make a minor adjustment after over 5000 trouble free miles.

2. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

3. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Add me to the list of happy Pertronix users. I strongly suspect most Pertronix failures are actually installation failures. I work with a guy who installed one in his '73 Ford pickup on my advice, but it quickly failed. Of course, he blamed me for telling him to buy it, but when I asked if he used a true 12v source, he got that all-too-familiar blank look. I've had mine in for just over 4 years and we also have one in our '57 Towmotor forklift that is gawd-knows-how-old and have had zero issues at all. I've even left the key on twice in my car and still no problems.

4. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

I have used their products in a number of vehicles and I'm a big Pertronix fan. I have never had an issue with their kits, or their coils...and I don't miss installing and messing with points one tiny bit.

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

That paper is the instruction sheet,...NOT packing material.................

4TTRUK

6. braindamage

braindamage
    from Arnold Mo

The pertronix II in my pontiac has gone about 10,000 miles problem free so far but have had both of my oldsmobiles eat them within 5000 miles. Both olds shut off at a stop light like someone turned the key off. No warning that they were goin bad.

7. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Pertonics good or bad? I dont know. My 61 Fairlane has run just fine for 51 years on points so I dont see a need to change. Points maintence, I check em once a year, takes less than less than 10 minutes. Whats the big deal.

I put an HEI in my 65, its the only thing that ever left me sitting at the side of the road. That being said, did I change back to points? No, But I wouldnt put an HEI in another car "just because" again.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

No one has ever had a GM, Ford, or Chrysler unit go bad? As for points anyone had a set last 100,000 miles or kept plugs firing that long.