Register now to get rid of these ads!

My business burned this afternoon!! Alien Games

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toast, Aug 23, 2012.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

so sorry to hear this, I'm glad you are ok and everyone including the firefighters was ok, it may have seemed they were moving slow but they may have been turning off the power etc before they put water on the flames, Hopefully everything was insured, and I'm glad it didn't happen when the place was full of kids, The Wendys here burned a few months ago exactly like this, manager was getting ready to open and the Ac unit on the roof ignited the ceiling, was your ac unit inside of the attic above the ceiling?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Sorry to hear that........ Glad everyone's ok.

4TTRUK

3. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thanks Tim, it was at 4:00 this afternoon

4. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

They didn't cut the power till after it was finally put out. There was chunks of burning debris falling out of the eve by the front door and falling into a trash can that was melting to the ground and they didn't even look at it. they didn't even open the door to look in till 15 min after they arrived. When the arrived the only flames were the chunks falling into that trash can, there was just smoke coming out of roof vents. The roof was engulfed before the hoses were turned on. I may be off base but I wasn't the only one there that felt it was very slowly done!

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

understandable, there may have been a reason, I can imagine every second would have been hell watching your business burn, I'm glad you are ok

6. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

Man, that really sucks, but fortuitous no one was hurt! Your business, and the the stuff inside, can be replaced, but lives............

7. Thanks for letting me know what happened Tom. Like i said in the PM, I'm glad no one was injured and that it wasn't your home.

8. Very sorry to hear this but you made it out OK and that is what is most important - the business can be rebuilt.

9. TorqueTube

TorqueTube
    from Tupelo, MS

HEy man, so sorry...I too own a comic/game shop....in the back of my guitar shop. did you loose all your inventory???..ANY Black Lotus' burnt?...I ALWAYS think about that happening AT NIGHT!!! I had a molotov cocktail hit my front glass and catch the wooden window frame on fire at 4 in the MORNING! about 5 years ago. 911 called my house and said my building was on fire....AAHHHHH. Fortunately a guy drove by just after the fire had started and he put it out with his hunting vest. CAlled fire dept...it could have been A LOT worse had the bottle gone thru the glass....my building was built in the 1870s....lots of OLD DRIED heart pine....a real tender box. I made the right decision on installing armored glass. Oh yeah, you can see it here on my site

http://www.pwogs.com/msvg_history_building.html

anyway, not to detract from your loss, if you plan to reopen, I'll be MORE THAN HAPPY to donate some store stock....magic cards....comic books....etc...

GOOD LUCK!!!! Mike

10. Oh man, sorry to hear about this.
    Fires just suck!

11. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

Kinda what I was thinking!

12. Lost my first home back in 84' to a electrical fire and my parents had their business burn so i feel your pain. we rebuilt and after some time counted our blessings. The thing about a fire is the WATER does as much damage the fire itself! Then the cleanup, what a stinking dirty endless mess, good luck!

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

FIRE sucks , glad you are ok .

14. murfman

murfman

This was the first thing I thouhgt when I read the title, before I even opened the thread.

Glad no one was hurt. Good luck with your insurance company.

15. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Yes, the screen name is because this is not my first problem with fire. I was trapped in a burning car a couple of years ago and thought I was Toast. Kind of a funny ending on that story though, unlike this one. Great part was that I didn't get burned either time:)

16. You can see by the smoke in the third picture that the fire is getting ready to vent itself in the attic. I'm not sure of the Fire Department status but most departments will not allow entry with out a minimum of personnel. Also in the third picture, only one firefighter was ready to go in but no hose line ready. Sorry about your loss. Most unsolved fires are determined electrical or "rats with matches". Like the first poster, I would check where the work was completed, as in nail through Romex.

17. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Sorry to hear about this, glad no one was hurt.

I dunno if there is a technical reason for the firemen to not IMMEDIATELY start hosing it down, but I would have torn the hose from their hands and started dousing it myself!

Any firemen here know of a reason NOT to turn the water onto the flames immediately?

18. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thanks Mike, The fire was mostly in the attic but water is just as bad for cards as fire. No product burned but water got 3/4 of it. Meeting the Ins adjuster there this morning. They paid for a restoration Co. to secure the building last night, including making a temporary roof over the whole thing.

19. Man that really hurts to see that !! I hope your days go better !!! >>>>.

20. Wow man, this sucks!

Fortunately or UNfortunately I'm one that knows exactly how you feel. Here are pictures of my dealership that burned back in August of 2007 thanks to a tennent in one of the rear apartments. Oh and by the way, either loose your H.A.M.B. user name or expect to have a good sence of humor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Thanks guys, fire sucks for sure!

22. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Damn Toast, sorry to hear this. Thankfully as already stated nobody was physically hurt. Good luck on the rebuild.

23. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Very sorry for your loss...thankful nobody was hurt and there were no children in the store when this happened..

24. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I'm real sorry Tom.....you just gotta change your name from Toast...

25. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Sorry about the bad news. Hope you had good insurance!

26. That was my first though too. Damn, man! I'm really sorry this happened but I'm glad you're okay.

27. Hang tight Toast...... Hope it all works out for you and your family!

Jay

28. Paul B

Paul B

My house burned 25 years ago. Staple in the wiring shorted .

29. First things first... Get it boarded up! The weather and the thieves will only make things much worse. Save the receipts from boarding it up, your insurance company will reimburse you.