Register now to get rid of these ads!

Way kustom steering wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog Dish Deluxe, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I missed out on it, I did find a couple other ones that were similar though. I've been a but lax on looking for steering wheels lately because I've been trying to sell a few O/T cars that I don't really need.

2. these are just awesome,i dont think i can manage the re-epoxy after cutting one up,not to hi0jack but is there anyone that can tell me what wheels will fit my 49 f1 column? i cant find info anywere.i hav the stock wheel on a shortened shaft,but since the wheel is flat my knee rubs on it when i drive making extremely uncomfortable, i want a stock style wheel that is either 16' (2' shorter than mine) or a interestign wheel that isnt flat but kinda kicks the hoop up so to speak

3. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Still need to clean up the chrome on this one but it's done otherwise. No finger grips on this one, it's smooth. Thats the way I like it.:cool:

Attached Files:

4. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Heres Triamp's wheel with some paint on it.

Attached Files:

5. nickleone

nickleone

I put a 70s' Mustang II wheel on a 62 Rambler Cross Country SW.
    Go to: http://tinyurl.com/7s7jh9a
    You should find the AMC forum with a thread on the wheel conversion.
    Basically the splines on the 2 match. The hub length is shorter on the Mustang wheel. Cut off some of the Rambler hub and tack it to the Mustang hub. Horn button works by moving the column contact. Pictures at end of thread.

Nick

6. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I painted the grey wheel white, put on a '62 horn cap and polished the chrome up. Looks pretty snazzy now I think. And it's for sale. :D

Attached Files:

7. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Heres a shot of my new reterded wheel that everybody hates, which makes it awesome to me. The first pic is with a regular horn button (Lame) the second is with this recockulous thing I got off of a Galaxie. I'm going to use it to cruise up to the swap meet tomorrow and see who I can piss off.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  8. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I've got a horn button/ring like that from a 67 Fury I think? I've been meaning to clean it up and get it sold, but I just can't get past the ugly of the thing. To make matters wors, it's baby shit green. :eek: That one looks good though! I think I like the chrome button better, but big black doesn't look bad either. What year Galaxie? Gotta be 68-70 if I were to take a guess.

9. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

This one was baby shit green before I dyed it black last night. I don't know whey but for some reason I like it. But I don't know shit because I like radials and SBC's, so I suck,

10. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I'm right there with ya brother.

11. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

these wheels you are doing are cool, here is one from a real old tech thread...he used a clock as the center cap... wonder what the wheel would look like with shape?
    similar to the citroen wheel...

Attached Files:

12. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I was thinking about doing some one spoke wheels like that but I wasn't sure if cracking was going to be a major problem since the single spoke would probably flex a lot. Maybe I'll have to experiment a little with it.

13. 60 Plymouth

60 Plymouth
    from UK

14. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

That is awesome! The steering wheel almost looks like it could have been stock. It really works with the overall design.

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

15. Had DOGDISHDELUXE send me another one of his badass square wheels for my Tall T. I chased down the last of the cracks by grooving them with a file, cross-drilling both faces of the grooves and filling it with JB Weld two-part putty-style epoxy. I then sanded it with 100-, 200- 320- 400 and 600-grit paper, with primer passes in between. Final imperfections were filled with JB Weld two stage goo, the kind that comes in two squeeze tubes. The horn cap was a 40's Buick Ebay find and after a round of naval jelly and polish, this sucker is looking good enough for my lil' driver. The paint color will be determined later, either metallic red, eggplant, or pearl white. CLICK ON PIC TO ENLARGE.

T Wheel #2.jpg

16. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

That looks great man! I wish I could feel how slick it is now because it was pretty smooth before with all the finger grips removed, I bet it's un real now! There can't possibly be another steering wheel in the world that has had as much time spent on it as this one. I personally drove with it every day for a week, it was a kool wheel.

17. redmayo

redmayo

Way cool wheel Dog Dish and Slime. Looks as if it could be a stock wheel. Perfect for the late 50s and early 60s cars.

18. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Thanks Red, I will probably start making some more in a week or so. Have to finish patching rust on a '57, put a flathead in a shoebox, a trans in a Chevy truck and paint a bumper on a dodge van first though. :mad:

19. It's probably hard to tell in the shot but I painted the wheel with a patina effect using A maroon-ish dark wine red, over cherry red and then sanded to get a worn effect. Lots of clear and wet sanding but I think the results are bueno. Special thanks to DogDishDeluxe for doing the hard part. CLICK TO ENLARGE.
    Red T Steering wheel #4.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  20. Testing color for my roadster. I figured my steering wheel is a good place to start. PPG base coat, color-sanded and cleared. Me like.

cam 007.jpg

cam 003.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  21. Here are color-corrected shots that reflect the wheel's true color.

CC A Wheel #1.jpg

CC A Wheel #5.jpg

22. Donzie

Donzie

I'm looking at buying one of Dog Dish's wheels for my '65 T-Bird. They look awesome and are defintely different than what most guys are using. For those who have one, how is the handling? It seems like turning a corner would be awkward.

23. I'm going to be running Dog Dish's rectangular wheels on my 29 roadster and 27 T.
    I figure keeping the steering ratio on the short end will be the proper solve. Not too, short, tho, because I wouldn't want the steering to be overly twitchy like a sprint car steering box. Time will tell, of course, since I'm probably a good year out from either of them running. I would think the heavier the car, the more problematic it might be. Neither of my cars is likely to weigh much ( 2200 for the roadster, maybe 2500 for the T). That said, it will be interesting to see what the proper course of action will be.