Register now to get rid of these ads!

What year is my Chevy????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Romano, Aug 23, 2012.

1. raymay

raymay

1940 and 1941 Chevy's do look similar. Your grille looks more like a 40 to me. You can probably check your vehicle ID number on line and get more detailed information like the plant, model, year and sequence number.
    Whatever year it is, you appear to have a very nice solid car.

2. Thank you, for a polite concise reply. Joe

3. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Look on the title, they usually say on them along with the VIN number and what state the car is from. All things you should know. :confused:

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU

Joe, the grille and hood emblems are definitely '40 Chevy. Does it have external running boards? '40 was the last year for them. The headlights on the '40 were pods attached to the top of the fenders, which yours appear to have. '41 headlights were intregral to the fender. As far as your original question, the coupe had external trunk hinges. Do a google search for '40 chevy coupe pictures to verify.

Ken

5. It's a '40. It's obviously had some work,))It had a lot of work done but never completed)) it would have originally had narrow stainless trim around the windshield and side windows, not the rear window.(( correct)) It would have had stainless belt line trim also,(( It Did)) the Master 85 shell and doors had an embossed rib, no trim. Master series business coupes had the gas tank in the rear seat area and the filler in the passenger's rear quarter. Deluxe had the tank under the trunk floor and filler in the passenger's side rear fender(( then it's a deluxe). All '40 models had exterior trunk hinges(( Mine are inside???. '40 had running boards((It did)) '41 and up had rockers. Look around inside the body shell and doors, I'm sure you'll find evidence of trim holes having been filled.(( There are))

Edit: The '40 was a one- year car. 37- 39's were much the same, shared a lot of parts, 41- 48's were much the same also. I had a '40 two door, now have a '40 Deluxe coupe.

6. Original title was lost a long time ago I assume. The title I have is from Tennessee and it's legit. For a model they have typed in 349 body 2D, the vin they have used is 3493312, odd that the title starts with the same 3 numbers as the model or vice verse...Joe

8. Original title was lost a long time ago I assume. The title I have is from Tennessee and it's legit. For a model they have typed in 349 body 2D, the vin they have used is 3493312, odd that the title starts with the same 3 numbers as the model or vice verse...Joe

9. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Halfdozen pretty much covered it all.
    It looks like your internal mounted decklid hinges are either aftermarket, or from another car, but they're not 40 Chevy. 40 Chevy were chromed pot metal and exterior mounted. I hope you got doors, decklid and interior window mouldings with your coupe/project. Those are usually major items that are pretty hard to find for a 40 Chevy coupe, followed by things like a good grill, rear fenders, etc..
    Based upon the pictures it looks like it's off to a pretty good start.
    Welcome to the HAMB!

10. So does it have the Fisher Body tag on it still, which says what year it is on it?

How about a VIN tag, which IIRC is on the floor somewhere in a goofy place (next to the seat?) and usually missing?

11. According to the 1935-'42 edition of the MoToR's shop manual, the serial numbers for 1940 Chevy were found "on right side of dash under cowl"
    ( I believe this is an aluminum plate screwed or rivetted to the cowl, on the engine side of the firewall; this is the case with Chevy trucks).

The serials ran in the following series:

Master Six: KB-1001 and up; solid front axle

Special De Luxe Six: KA-1001 and up; "knee-action" independent front suspension

Master De Luxe Six: KH-1001 and up; "knee-action" independent front suspension

The numeric portion of the serial number probably did not exceed 5 digits (99999)

Engine numbers are found stamped into a flat boss right behind the distributor; 1940 engine numbers ran from 2697268 to 3665902 ( and possibly had the KB/ KA/ KH model code preceeding the number).

It's almost useless to try to point out to motor vehicle administration clerks, but US cars & trucks made before 1970 do not have "V.I.N" numbers(the 14-digit number on the dash, in the lower -left corner of the windhsield)... they have a serial number; and some states used the engine number ( so if the engine was swapped-out, that can make for some fun).

12. None of the above

13. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Post a pic. of the firewall assuming it's still stock. :rolleyes:

14. Thank you, I have all of the above, the trunk lid is the main concern everything else can be wiped, although I do have a wish list. First thing on the list is MONEY.....Joe

15. Fire wall has been modified, But I'll submit photos asap....Joe

16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

don't know what year , but looks good so far. keep us posted.

17. Dyce

Dyce

It's a '40 Chevy. There must have been a deck lid with the car at one time? I can't beleive all of that work would have been done without it. Seems like a screwy deal to me.

18. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like it was a shaved off street rod in a previous life and someone put hidden hinges on the trunk. Is definitely a '40.

19. It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

20. 1pickup

1pickup

'40 headlights bolt on the fenders, '41 is integral.

21. Joe, Gangster Grilles is a brand name. They are cut from flat sheet, where the original style has ribs with the edges bent back 90 degrees. Your's appears to be the original style.
    Sometimes this place is a bit like riding the school bus! Make a mistake and you'll be eaten alive.
    What is your car's story?

~Alden

22. Here are 2 photo's.

Attached Files:

23. You have no idea of just how right you are. Nothing on this car is as it should be. I have pictures of the deck lid that came with it, This was a real Bondo Buggy, But I'm grinding it down and trying what parts I can.

Attached Files:

24. Fire wall pic's

Attached Files:

25. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Those don't help much but i also think it's a '40 because my dad has one. The reason i asked was because i think the 39-40 bodies were the same except for the firewall. And the rear side window maybe a little diffrent shape to i don't know. But i still think it's a 40'

26. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Got me curious, as I thought both 39s & 40s had internal hinges. It looks from reviewing pics of original cars on the web, that the 40s did have outside hinges, while the 39 had internal.

Attached are a couple pics of my 39 trunk lid. Looks like you might have a 40 trunk, with 39 hinges, as the trunk stamping looks different than mine, but the hinges look close???

Here's a link that may give you some details on original measurements for your 40 - I think page 29 of the PDF has the coupe body dimensions. Hope this helps, and by the way, nice car!
    http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/docs/Chevrolet/1940-Chevrolet.pdf

Attached Files:

27. As Half dozen stated, It more then likely had out side hinges in a previous life. Thats something I didn't consider before.

28. Thanks for the PDF it is very helpfu. Joe:)

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I cannot believe this thread is into 58 posts and ANY question remains as to the year model of your Coupe. IT IS A 1940 MODEL !!

And someone stated, it is a one year only body......does not share any exterior parts with '39 or '41 models. I have owned a couple of '40s and '41s over the years. The differences in '40 Chevys is between the Master 85, Master Deluxe and Special deluxe..the M85 having front parallel leaf springs and I beam axle and the deluxe versions having coil spring IFS.

You can potentially source a deck lid from a lower line '40 Pontiac Special Series 25, body style 2527, or an Olds F Series (Special) 60, body style 403527....they shared the GM "A" body with Chevy. That said though, the Chevy production was far greater than the applicable Pontiac and Olds models so the Chevy is still your best bet.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  30. Well, the body shell doesn't look like '39, those are another one year only as far as the quarter windows and stuff go.