Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Mariani Merc! OMG!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Aug 23, 2012.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just got home and opened my new Rodder's Journal, #55, and I am slack jawed over the Mariani Mercury. Pat Ganahl wrote the article called "Finesse" and declared it his favorite Merc of all time. It is now mine, too.

This thing is gorgeous, sinister and sexy all at the same time. While it is not purely traditional (you wouldn't know it if you didn't raise the hood) it is amazing. You simply have to read about all the mods that have been done to make this car what it is.

Has anyone else seen the article?

2. Perfect car.blows me away.

3. Ruiner

Ruiner

I just happen to have it on my chest waiting to be read after I get done on the HAMB while laying in bed with a pinched nerve in my back...I haven't gotten to that article yet...

4. jfrolka

jfrolka

Mariani Nut Farmers by any chance? Those guys have some beautiful salt flat racecars.

5. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

6. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I am very familiar with the car. It's by far one of the nicest mercs on the planet.

Bob is one of my personal hot rod heroes. I've had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with him. Truely one of the best hot rod guys you'll ever meet.

I also know Newt the current owner of the car. He is an asset to our hobby. I have personally seen him encourage young kids to sit behind the wheel of the car on more than one occasion

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Me likey (a lot)!! Slack jawed sums it up.

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think so.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

No, the Mariani nut farmers are California folks. The grandfather (Jack Mariani, IIRC, had a Mercedes-Benz 300 S-L Coupe (gull wing) in 1956, had it painted candy apple red.
    Used to stop at the cross street across from Grandma's house, and accelerate in first gear going by..."Zzzoooom!" Then shift...

We were always impressed.

10. superleggera

superleggera

Definitely a Mercury worthy of taking a second and even a third (or more) look at. Lots of subtle massaging of the metal. My favorite is how they moved the kinked bodyline in the door back about ten inches and how it excentuates the front fender.

link --> picture of Mariana Merc on Rodders Journal

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  11. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Beautiful Merc indeed. Great rear window treatment, taillights, grill, roof etc. Well executed details.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

All this praise without a single picture.

13. Hyfire

Hyfire

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  14. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Very nice Merc!

15. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

I hope he incorporated some heavy duty rust proofing. I wouldn't take that thing near the salt. Worked on too many rusty ones I guess.

16. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

I've read that article three or four times now and stared at the pics for hours. It is the only Merc that blows me away besides Terry Hegmans. I still cannot imagine heat shrinking 5/8s of an inch out of the crown of the roof would be like, but the results are staggering. I really like what he did with the rear glass also.

17. Curt Six

Curt Six

That car is just as stunning in person as it is in the feature photos, and both Bob and Rick are class acts. Rick will have the Merc in Baltimore for our TRJ Revival event next month for those of you planning to come. Plan to spend some time with this one...it's got details and style that go on for miles.
    Curt