Register now to get rid of these ads!

WWII Nose Art wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Mar 27, 2006.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys have been looking without luck for a picture of a black cat (felix?) holding a bomb that I think was on WWII german planes, perhaps US. Need this for my project. Am thinking someoen must know where to find it.
    Thanks.
    Pete

2. DrJ

DrJ

3. Slate

Slate

or search web sites using "nose art" - I found some great sites (links saved on the other pc) and some great stories. There was some fierce shit going on up there!!

4. SwampYankee

SwampYankee
    from Dudley MA

Pete,
    At first I thought perhaps the "nose-art" you're thinking of might be the personal emblem of German fighter ace Adolph Galland. It was an early "steamboat willie" style mickey mouse with a pistol and an axe. Just do a google image search of Adolph Galland and there wil be several images and views to choose from. Then I did a quick google search for Felix nose art and hit on this site http://www.nose-art.net/T-6.htm. Where they had the image that is hopefully attached to this reply. If you need any other info about which bomber group etc. this originated with I've got firends down at New England Air Museum who mihgt know.

Attached Files:

5. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Perhaps you are thinking of Carrier Air Wing 14 with a long and glorious history known as the Tomcatters?

http://www.f3hdemon.homestead.com/files/vf_31patch.gif

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys thats just what I was after. If anyone sees a really good high resolution image I'd love that as I'll need that for what I plan.

Its amazing the number of missions some of those planes did in the first link.

7. Hare ya go champ !!

Rat

Attached Files:

8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You champ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly what i wanted.

Thanks Rat

9. No sweat matey !!

Rat

10. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

That emblem of "felix" originated in WW-2 as the following Squadrons of the USN,VF-3,VF-4 and VF-6 , it became VF-31 post WW-2 , the WW-2 versions had a white background ,felix also has faced left and right depending on the emblem/era etc.
    Johnny

11. Last used by the "Tom Catters"... had it on my Roadster before the cowl panels were replaced.

Or how about a Black Cat scaring a Bombshell?

Attached Files:

12. Markgyver

Markgyver

I have a book on Airplane nose art packed away in my folks attic, next time I am there I will see if I can find it.

13. Tank

Tank

14. [​IMG]
    Lt. Edward H. “Butch” O’Hare in his Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat giving a thumbs up at Naval Air Station Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii. 10 April 1942. Note “Felix the Cat” insignia of Fighting Squadron Three (VF-3) and five Japanese flags representing the five enemy bombers he was credited with shooting down. Courtesy of The National Archives.

15. dart165

dart165

16. Emblemhunter

Emblemhunter

I make WW2 Squadron/Group/Nose art leather patches, USAAF/USN/USMC , any 5-6 inch patch of your choice $50.00 each/total including postage (in the US) ,for sample photos drop me your email and I'll send some your way .
    Johnny
    View sample of patches I've made at this link,
    http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/EMBLEMHUNTER/library/Patches

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  17. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

wingnutz---that car is good looking ---great headers...