Register now to get rid of these ads!

$1,000 reward

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MoKanMan, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slammed

slammed

I see your point. Those pick-ups and tents are all with in striking distance of the damaged car. Someone does have an idea by now who was nearest to the Cad. the day it happened. And the time frame should be narrowing down to who-what-when.

2. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Sorry guys...just trying to help narrow down the exact location. Maybe someone in that specific location can contact those around them who haven't checked the board since the event. I'm sure if anyone "watched" or "saw" this happening, it would have never gotten this far. Let's narrow the area down and make phone calls to those around the area that don't check the HAMB on a regular basis.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. It was the butler...in the library...with the candle stick.

4. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

was at Paso one year... a pop up tent rolled across about 20 cars....

5. It better NOT be a HAMBer who did this. I think the kinda guy who joins the HAMB has a real respect for other peoples property,especially their car. All I have to say is CARMA! What goes around,comes around......

6. ryno

ryno

Kinda beating a dead horse here,but if one of you photo guys can enlarge the said photo so we can see the people's faces I may recognize some local people that may not be hambers to ask if they had a tent turn into a kite.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I guess the point you are referring to would be that intentional or not the person responsible didn't fess up ? Since no one who was there seems to have seen what happened we may never know, and anything we feel or say is just a guess. This could have been a completely innocent act, wind came up, blew something over the mans car, and the people who owned the tent or lawn chair never noticed the damage. We may never know.

But the bottom line is, we carry insurance for just such events. He parked his car in a public parking area where there is always the risk of something happening to it. It has happened to all of us at shopping centers, grocery stores, etc.

This should in no way be a refection on the participants or venue of the drags, in any way whatsoever. It is nice that a reward has been offered, but there may be no wrongdoer to capture in this situation.

Don

8. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

riginally Posted by 49ratfink
    ..15 people in this thread are now going to have to kick a pop-up shade things ass.

....STEVE SMASH POPUPS!!!!!

9. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Amen!

10. Nope, it's a matter of principle, of which some people have none.

11. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm going to play devils advocate here: Say some guy who hasn't been on line all week reads this thread and says,"Dude, no way! I saw my pop-up crumpled on the ground about 5 feet away from the caddy...I had no idea. My buddies were sitting under it when I went to go check out the pits and when I came back their stuff was there but they must have gone walking around and the pop-up was laying on the ground." And this guy happens to have no job, no insurance and no money. I mean, does the guy get lynched? Who ends up paying for it? The car owners insurance, just as though it were a typical accident?

I guess I just don't see how this plays out that anyone gets any money from the pop-up owner. I could be wrong, but if it were me, I'd expect that I'd have to pay my deductible and have it fixed. Maybe the $1000 should go to the deductible and the car should just get fixed. I'm not saying that the person who is responsible shouldn't be held accountable, but how do you do that? And if it was purely an accident with no forethought of malice, how do you hang someone for that? What if 5 guys borrowed a pop-up for the day and no one owns it? I guess I just don't see where this goes from here...

I hope someone is found and offers to help fix it, if I was there and it was my pop-up I'd come clean just to clear my conscience. However, I couldn't afford a few thousand for a paint fix, and I don't have anything called "walking around a parking lot" insurance, and if I was forced to come up with it, my family would pretty much starve for a couple months. If we all had to have insurance in order to walk around, go shopping, walk a car show, etc... none of us would leave the front door. Isn't this situation exactly what car insurance is for?

I'm bummed this happened to anyone, and if someone is hiding out and not coming clean, that pisses me off, but what if that's not the case at all?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  12. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

a title change might help with views ...to all that "attended xyz "

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

People that attend the H.A.M.B. drags tend to set up at the same place every year. Let's drop this for now, and next year we can all go look for red paint on a pop-up on the spectator side of the track, near the 1000 foot mark.

Oops.

14. carlover60

carlover60

YIKES!! I guess I am going to leave my 37 in the garage! Or, maybe I'll trade it for a rat rod and not worry about the paint!

15. carlover60

carlover60

Sorry if my comments twisted yer knickers..... life goes on... just sayin' there's a lot of hatin' goin on here over an accident that happened at a drag race and lots of people were watchin' the action and not the parkin' lot...no one knows what happened and it could have been a blowing tent, canopy, or whatever and it is possible that no one even knew about it. What if the canopy owner left after the caddy and didn't see the damage??? It looks like it was not some S*** eating, +)(&$)+# Ass Hole that purposely ruined someones Hallmark moment so for you haters, unchamber the round, put away your knife and chill..and YES, that is why you carry insurance on something you care about.... or leave it in the garage..... i

16. Fenders

Fenders

"........ Isn't this situation exactly what car insurance is for?..."

Yup. I have had Collision on my newer OT truck since it was new, it paid to replace a broken windshield... now that it's seven years old, I am reconsidering the expense of Collision insurance coverage.... (which covers hit and run, or my fault accidents, etc)...

You have insurance to cover damage to things that would cost a lot to repair if damaged... I have no such coverage on the coupe in my avatar -- I built it, I can fix it....

17. 64T-bolt

64T-bolt
    from Kansas

it's all good brother.. i just want to see someone make it right, if they're aware it even happened. I'm out of the discussion. My junk has crappy paint anyways..

18. Ha ha. My daily driver is not a very nice vehicle. As much as I would like to drive around a nice car I am realistic enough to know that I will only be dissapointed one day when it gets messed up.
    One day at work this guy bumped into it and scuffed up the rear quarter. He left a note and said he was very sorry and to call him and he would have it painted where he messed it up. I just called him and laughed at the idea of painting my car. I just said, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still going to be a pig. And besides, you'll probably just run into it next week again anyway". We both had a pretty good laugh and we let it go.

19. Could have been a meteor..............

20. skot71

skot71

Here it is blown up in 3 parts to see if anyone knows any person in the pic. Kind of pixelated, but worth a shot.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      266.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      286.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      290.2 KB
      Views:
  21. Bob, lots of folks have talked about the EZ Up owner being on the HAMB. But believe it or not, every year I have been to the drags I have sat down next to some group and asked them who they are on the HAMB only to be treated with a deer-in-the-headlights look. It amazes me they can go to this event and have no clue what the board is or is about (like the Borgward dipshit)

22. gonmad

gonmad

After 9 pages of mainly lynch mob attitude, I would guess that nobody is going to fess up now for fear of being "that guy"! LOL.
    Sorry it happened, it sucks for sure, but just be glad it was a "driver" and not your (or his) pride and joy hot rod!

23. There are a lot of locals that go to drag strips that may not be in any way connected to the events. Some people just like to see drag racing of any kind and a buddy of theirs just told them there would be some racing going on Saturday. I brought a friend of mine to the track that had no idea what the HAMB was before I met him (he's into the muscle car era stuff).

24. chevy348

chevy348
    from Ohio

You are probably right. I made my original post as warning (and a vent) to you guys and I in no way think this was done by anyone on this board. If guys read it, they will see that and I stand by that 100%. I also stand by all things said in my post. I have talked with Ryan and Carl. We are on the same page and I appreciate all they have done.

25. I actually met a local boy at the snak shack that had been to every one of them or so he said. I didn't argue the point with him as I haven't and he knew what the best stuff on the menue was. ;)

If it had happened on the pit side it would have been easier to narrow down, but it didn't so whatever happened how ever it happened is not going to be easy to determin. I don't doubt that someone knows something and maybe they are a HAMBer. I do know this a lot of us know someone from Joplin that is not a HAMBer and was probably at the race. The HAMB Drags are a big local draw.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt for someone to pick up the phone and become reaquainted with an old friend or two.

Just a thought.

26. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

cars get keyed all the time.

27. Again, we need PICTURES FIRST IN THREADS.

28. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I can certainly understand that many folks at this event don't follow the HAMB. But, at this point we have a clear photo of over 300 feet of prime drag strip frontage lined with people and so far none of the 1400 hits on this thread recognize anything or anyone there.

It's starting to seem a little too much like a stabbing in the hood where all the ghetto locals are cowering in the shadows in fear of the gansta criminals.

If anyone has any tidbit of info that may be of interest and you don't want to post here, send a PM to Ryno, or Ryan. If someone wants something posted here anonymously, sent it to me in a PM and I will post it anonymously here.

As Beaner said, Joplin locals need to get the word out. Get Monkey's pic circulating in email, etc.

29. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

As you can see by some of the responses here, the point is rather hard to understand per some.

Although it is really obvious that the intent is to have the responsible party step forth, as you can see they made the mistake of not initially or perhaps were unaware that they caused damage.

Viewing the pictures it really does look as if a tent or item got blown onto it.
    Sometimes you have to put yourself in the position of the poor dope who just screwed up a really nice car due to a tent blowing onto it who might not have thousands of dollars in his pocket to pay for the damage. If he steps forth he will pay the entire bill for the damage, the insurance will go after him.

Wrong as it is he might run.

The many times I have come out to find my cars hit and run on in the wonderful city I live in causing thousands in damage, sure I was really pissed. Would I like to catch the guy, sure but really no. What would I do? Kick his ass? Then i would be writing him a check and wearing an orange jumper.

I pay my deductible, put it in the shop for a month and life goes on. It sux but sometimes we should just accept that jackasses abound and shit happens, even at great events like the HAMB drags.

Perhaps the OP might make an offer to keep the identity of the person anonymous so as to not incur the wrath of the group. Perhaps they could work out a deal on the situation. Without the pressure the person may step forth. As it is now who would dare?

BTW, I did not attend. Had a wedding.

Sorry.

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Quote: I can certainly understand that many folks at this event don't follow the HAMB. But, at this point we have a clear photo of over 300 feet of prime drag strip frontage lined with people and so far none of the 1400 hits on this thread recognize anything or anyone there.

It's starting to seem a little too much like a stabbing in the hood where all the ghetto locals are cowering in the shadows in fear of the gansta criminals.

If anyone has any tidbit of info that may be of interest and you don't want to post here, send a PM to Ryno, or Ryan. If someone wants something posted here anonymously, sent it to me in a PM and I will post it anonymously here.

As Beaner said, Joplin locals need to get the word out. Get Monkey's pic circulating in email, etc.

_____________________________________________________________________________

I don't think is is that at all, anyone who is a member here would be jumping at the chance to tell if they saw something that happened. But as was mentioned, not everyone in the car world is a HAMB member or who comes on the forum.

At every event I go to I ask guys I am BS ing with if they are a HAMB member because it is nice to know they might be someone I have been chatting with. 9 times out of 10 I get that deer in the headlights look that was mentioned. They will mutter something like HAM, what is HAM ? Or they will say they don't do internet forum stuff at all.

So if anyone did see what happened they are probably not even aware this discussion is going on at all, or simply no one saw it happen as they were so involved in watching the racing. Anyone who has been to any drag race can tell you there is so much noise and confusion going on that it is highly possible this event was never seen by anyone.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.