Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Inspections...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Will350z, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Will350z

Will350z

Good ol Rowlett, definitely been a while since I've been out over there...

2. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

If the inspection station does yank your chain on exhaust like that (and I'm not saying they will, but it's possible) then how hard would it be to find a clamp and a couple of feet of exhaust pipe?

Of course, a vehicle without windows and a roof is hardly a passenger 'compartment'.....

3. Will350z

Will350z

Haha, so true, I'm sure it wont be that big of an issue, plus a few HAMBers have already told me of a few places that are Hot Rod friendly, so I'll probably just go there.

4. vik morgan

vik morgan
    from Houston

I am resurrecting this post to prove that I did a search prior;

After recently moving to Houston from CA, I need to register my '49 GMC and would like to do so as a classic. I know that I will need a safety inspection and as in the original post, I also have gotten conflicting info as to what this includes. Two inspections stations more or less pointed to TX article 05.01 (cited in other previous post in this thread) and said that there are many grey area in the law, but this is all they have to go by. DPS on the other hand, told me over the phone that the inspection is limited to the standard safety equipment offered when the vehicle was new, but offered no documentation as to what this does or does not include.

In the four years I have owned the truck, it has never had seatbelts, horn, or wipers, and this was never an issue in CA. Unfortunately these missing items would preclude me from passing the generic 05.01 safety inspection.

Can anyone offer some insight, point me to an online document listing standard '49 Chevy safety equipment, or put me in contact with a hot rod shop or person in the Houston area who has experience on this subject.

Thanks.

5. Bingo. This is what I did and it was easy.

6. If titling as an antique then all that will be checked in your safety inspection is what the car had back in '32. Headlights, horn, tail light or tail lights and brake light. Once registered you should be good for 5-7 years I believe. At that point you will not need another safety inspection until your registration expires. I even remove the current safety sticker from my window. Large town or not, doesn't apply to your car if going for an antique plate. I have done this in Houston to a half dozen cars most out of state titles requiring basically the same thing which generically is referred to as a green sheet.

Good luck.

7. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

You gotta dig but there's a vague listing on the TXDOT site. Hell I didn't even pull my 58 inside the place they asked so many non safety related questions about the truck they didn't do anything. Guy says "anybody drives something like that takes better care if it than a new car, your cool" just talk to them and see what's up, should be able to find the right inspector. Hell my 3 on the tree scares most off!

8. One thing not mention in this entire thread...You must reside in the county where you get your Inspection made...

9. Guys aren't looking to shaft you. Most of us would give plenty of leeway. There is bound to be a shop close to you. Just go ask. Take a look at what's setting around the shop and if you see a few hotrods- paydirt. But consider that none of us are auto techs because of the money. We had to like it, even those who have college.

10. -Sled-

-Sled-

Antique is the way to go... i have 4 different antique tagged cars/trucks and i drive at least one of them a day, i have never been pulled over because of my tags. Even if they do question why you are driving on antique tags, there is a loophole about repairs, so i would just tell them that i put on so-and-so part and was driving it around for a ops check.

11. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

I get my 31 inspected by the NSRA team. My state recognises it as a valid inspection.Texas probably does too.

12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

In cali we don't inspect crap

13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

In cali we don't inspect crap and we drive em like we stole em

14. vik morgan

vik morgan
    from Houston

So far registering my pickup here in Texas has been a huge bust.

I got failed on the safety inspection for no wipers, horn and the parking brake not holding.

Found an inspection place that had some muscle cars on site, tried to feel him out and was told to get the antique plates, no inspection needed. This is another area where everyone has a different story.

Harris county tax office said I do in fact need a safety inspection and would not issue me plates.

Can someone please help or offer advise?

I wish those who "just walked in and had their cars registered" would teach me the Jedi mind trick they used.

15. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My experience with Texas inspections is that they are a joke and they take about 5 minutes. I always register my old cars normally so that i can drive them without any hassle or restrictions. I had a roadster inspected with no E-brake, wipers or horn, my wifes OT mustang passed - and later that day I found the brake switch was disconnected from some work I was doing (that really should have beeen caught).

For My model A they issued me a title, but it states "VIN inspection declined". I'm not sure what to do about the VIN as it is an aftermarket frame. The lady at the counter told me to just drive it up for an inspection when I was done building it if I wanted the title statement dropped. I do have a Ford Patent plate with a VIN, so I am going to attach that to the cowl and see where it goes.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  16. specialk

specialk

I'm not being a smart-ass, I'm giving the information that the inspector gave you.

Get the ebrake, horn and wipers fixed. This is a requirement, no way around it. (BTW, the horn doesn't have to be on the column, just a button on the dash)

17. 64 a/fx

64 a/fx

the one thing I either overlooked in the thread or wasn't mentioned was the year of the car on the title. If the title has it listed as a re-constructed, homebuilt or like a kit car 25 years or newer then you could have problems. if the title says it's a 25 year or older then the antique plates are not a problem, either the stupid looking ones the state issues or using YOM plates.

have a friend that built a 34 coupe kit car. had to register it as a 2002 kit car so it has to have all the inspections and such as a 2002. can't run antique or even classic tags. all he can run is regular tags or the new state issued tag that says street rod or custom vehicle. both my cars run antique, the 55 with yom and the 40 with antique state issued, but it's in the trunk and I am running 74 personalized tags from back then.looking for a set of 40 YOM but not ready to take a loan out to buy a set. never have been stopped or questioned about either one. the 55 has a 1955 inspection sticker but hey, whatever. gonna get a 40 inspection sticker if I can find one.

here's the straight from tx-dot
    Antique Vehicle

You may apply for Antique license plates for your motor vehicle if it is at least 25 years old and a collector's item. The motor vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Motor vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or advertising. The motor vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.
    Antique plates are issued for five-year periods. The registration fee, not including other applicable fees for the five-year period is $50 for motor vehicles manufactured in 1921 and subsequent years. The registration fee, not including other applicable fees is $40 for motor vehicles manufactured in 1920 and prior years. Fees are reduced $10/$8 for each year of the period that has elapsed at the time the application is filed.

18. Dchaz

Dchaz

If the truck was registered in another county, you have to get it inspected in the county you live in.

19. srs1

srs1

Inwood Auto Title
    11540 N.W. Freeway
    Houston, Tx. 77092

Stanley can fix it

20. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

-------------

My advise is to install wipers, get a horn and have it inspected again. As for parking brakes... have the inspector look it up Chapter 4 20.03... parking brakes apply only to with vehicles beginning with model year 1960.

Harris County Tax says you need an inspection no matter what... probably because you are trying to register an "out of state vehicle" ...is my guess.

Regards,
    X

21. fordflambe

fordflambe

I pulled this from TXDOT site.....it may help you out...........

I originally put standard plates on my cars but a couple of years ago, i put YOM plates on the cars.......when i took the YOM plates to tax office they told me they didnt require inspection on cars running YOM (they have a separate section in the TXDOT rule book about antique and YOM plates.....you may want to check the TXDOT site and brush up on what they expect. My recommendation is to know the rules better than they do and it will be much easier to get them to help you out.

See attachment.........

Attached Files:

• hamb.png
      hamb.png
      File size:
      70.2 KB
      Views:
  22. BLAKE

BLAKE

It's not that hard. If you register your car as Antique (Sec. 504.502 of the Transportation Code), you don't need inspection and you get to run YOM plates, but you are only 'supposed' to use the car as defined above... club events, public shows, to/from the shop, etc... However, all on here will likely tell you that they've never been stopped or hassled.

You can (or could) also register as Classic (Sec. 504.501 of the Transportation Code)- you'll need the annual safety inspection, but you can still run YOM plates and you won't have limits on the car's use.

Like most have already said, I always go Antique. The fella above who said you need e-brake, wipers, and horn because "there's no way around it" isn't talking about Antique registration.

Sec. 548.052. VEHICLES NOT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION. This chapter does not apply to:
    (1) a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home moving under or bearing a current factory-delivery license plate or current in-transit license plate;
    (2) a vehicle moving under or bearing a paper dealer in-transit tag, machinery license, disaster license, parade license, prorate tab, one-trip permit, vehicle temporary transit permit, antique license, custom vehicle license, street rod license, temporary 24-hour permit, or permit license;

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  23. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

It might have changed but a few years ago I had my 69 pickup registered as a classic and IIRC did not require inspection. I did it anyway because running around without a sticker is asking for some bubba cop to hassle you. I had a 3 or 5 year sticker (can't remember) and still got pulled over because the cop had never seen one and didn't know they existed.
    I also had YOM plates. There is a "special events" clause and I figured it was a special event every time I drove it. AFAIK, nobody has ever gotten cited for driving their classic too much.

24. BLAKE

BLAKE

The only 'hassle' example I know of was within the last year or so... a cop pulled a buddy over and grilled him about the engine needing to be original in a Texas Antique vehicle. Nothing in the paperwork requires an original engine, but the VTR-54 application form does say that the engine needs to be at least 25-yo, just like the frame and body... which isn't a problem unless your running a modern EFI motor and the cop both 1.) knows what he's looking at, and 2.) wants to make a case out of it.

I understand the desire to avoid hassles from jerkish cops, but my experience is that they tend to leave us Antiques alone as long as we're not doing anything to warrant the attention. Just my $.02.

25. The state used to require a "green sheet", an inspection on every vehicle that came in from out of state.
    If your car was 25+years, that meant a safety inspection only. That may be why the inspectors are telling you that you need an inspection.

26. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I found great disparity from one town to the next in Texas. I went around with the blue hairs in Canton for an hour and a half to get my YOM plates registered. I had all the paper work done and knew the process, they did not. Then she tried to tell me my un-issued 69 plates were the wrong color. She had the "book" and said the should be black back ground not white, even though I had them in my hand. I finally made her call Austin and they told her the book wasn't correct and to make a notation in it.
    I had one friend who kept a mailing address in Tyler because their dmv was so much easier to deal with.
    The laws are goofy, they say you need wipers but don't say you need a windshield. I got sent home because some old crappy add on side markers on my 68 F250 didn't work, I had to go home and remove them and then it passed. As far as running without an inspection sticker, I wouldn't, even though it is legal. You will be pulled over by every small town bubba cop and to save face for being ignorant, they will screw with you all they can.

27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Forget all that other shit and listen to this... Its that simple. You can get YOM plates fairly reasonable on ebay all day long. DO IT DO IT. You dont need no stinkin stickers

28. vik morgan

vik morgan
    from Houston

Thanks for everyones help, especially when citing specific clauses in the state law.

I went to the tax office again yesterday prepared to do battle, but this time I was not even questioned about inspection. I was just told to be aware that the title will state the vehicle has not been inspected and if I would like classic plates I will need to have that taken care of.

I guess it all depends on the time of day, town, who you end up with at the window, alignment of the moon.

In the end though, I am a happy guy because I now have plates and making my truck all legal and what-not.

Now the motorcycle I expect will be a whole-nother issue.

29. crowerglide

crowerglide
    from Tyler, TX

That's true for registration/title, but not for safety inspection. I've been getting all my inspections in another county for at least the last 15 years. All they need to see is proof of insurance...and your money.:D

30. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

TEXAS Saftey inspection only... Brakes, lights, etc... Thats all dont stress man... Been there done it on a few vehicles already and there is nothing to it... for your Roadster required... 2 headlights, 1 tail light, no brake lights or turn signals, finding an inspection site that has someone who knows anything is the hardest thing to do, I have one up here in spring that I use quite frequently so let me know if you need the name and address... :cool:

also texas had halted YOM plates for new registrations this year is what I heard.