Register now to get rid of these ads!

End of hot rodding and modifying in the uk ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UK RUSS 1960 OLDS, Aug 22, 2012.

1. UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

UK RUSS 1960 OLDS

Hi All,

There are a group of guys over here in the UK known as ACE (association of Car Enthusiasts) who campaign on our behalves on all sorts of motoring legislation.

However they have just posted this up on their site, and it doesn't look good for us.

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/

Cheers.

Russ.

2. ussrjeppi

ussrjeppi
    from Iceland

that is not good hope you can fight it and stop it

3. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Holly shit man, you guys better pull together even those guys with the little tuner cars. It all for one now. Damn I hope you all can work together.

4. That don't Sound good!

5. prez

prez

good luck with that one
    hope you can sort it

6. bridger

bridger

Man you guys have a fight in your hands , good luck

7. I feel I wanna join this fight. As an aussie, I'm fed up & despairing at the nanny- state which is growing like an aggressive tumour. Deep down it only seeks to justify itself with all these bullshit laws and regulations, and dosen't give a rat's arse about your responsible freedom.
    I know the mods don't like political posts. Maybe it's time for a Social Group devoted to watching for, & exposing, these regulatory threats to our freedom.

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The power of ignorance on display, they simply assume that a home built car is less safe and poorly maintained. Why cant they realize that we 'obsess' over our cars and they are maintained well beyond what your average family car is.

Doc.

9. too right doc. i'm a mechanic at a dealership and i see some shit on less than 5 year old cars that the owner should be taken out and shot for.

10. With you on that one Harley. Bit less knicker twisting required.

11. pitman

pitman

Perhaps these fellows need a new "stretch limo" based on a most safe OEM Pinto chassis layout.

12. 22 track

22 track

If this is passed by the European Parliment, it would affect European countries in the European Union (EU), not just the UK.

13. That's just total tosh, and a single minded view. Legislation like this needs every motoring org to pull together.
    Trying to win against the dumb Asses in Brussels in small single groups won't work
    This needs the might of the whole classic car scene to get together, even the Peeps who have mega money old bentleys etc will be effected. That's the people that need to be hand in hand with all modifiers irrespective of type.

Another good reason not to move back home to the UK!

14. is there anything I can do to help the fight?

15. This would seem to fly in the face of the looooong history of English specials. Men like Freddie Dixon, Sydney Allard, Victor Riley and far too many others to mention. Companies like ERA, HWM and BRM.

This should be attacked on an historical basis as well. Surely ONE MP has the balls God gave a hamster, enough to stand and object even once!!

Wish I could help, but on the wrong side of the pond, I am.

Cosmo

16. You Britts need to take a good look at our system down here in New Zealand. We were headed down the same path, untill Some great hot rodding folks got together and created our certification system. I firmly believe we have one of the best systems, and urge you to study how its done here. Maybe you can come up with something similar.

For more info, go here, and search, or PM me, and i can get a list of contacts.

http://www.nz-hotrod.com/vbulletin/index.php

17. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Damn... They took your guns.. Now they want your hot rods! If they get them The'll be after rock n Roll! Good luck on a fight worth fighting.

18. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Looks like the EuroZone breaking up may be your key to freedom, no? Good luck on this. Give em hell!!!

19. Rob68

Rob68

Don't know what to say about this, but you have my support.

20. RussTee

RussTee

I will back this up originally I was strongly against this but now agree it is a good system that is supported by the government and I would go as far as saying that we are world leaders in this type of governance. We all like to think that we are good at what we do but I am afraid the days of doing what you like and so what if a few people lose their lives are over look at Bonneville now recognised as the holy grail of hotrodding but remember if a few astute guys had not seen the writing on the wall and set up the timing associations with their strict rules and tec inspections there would be no racing there now. Dont stick your head in the sand look ahead and get something set up so every one wins be proactive and prove you are responsible I know its a pain but it is also a win win situation and I dont just mean in Britain but in all countries.

21. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

The VHRA have plenty of communication with ACE and support what they do, the difference is we tend to take a less sensationalist approach, a view some people prefer. The VHRA are also members of the FBHVC, the largest lobbying group for historic vehicles in the UK, they support everyone from the Bentley boys to us at the other end of the scale with our humble hot rods. You may also be interested to know that the VHRA are recognised by both the DVLA and VOSA for vehicle registration purposes, so are doing more than their "single minded" bit to keep hot rods on the road. Unfortunately there is a divide between organisations as ACE sits at loggerheads with the FBHVC, which is a great shame as together they could make more of an impact than apart. The VHRA actually go some way to bridging that divide as they support the work of both organisations.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  22. agreed, i think too many people are scaremongering at the mo in the UK, sites like RodsNSods have their fair share of hystericals. Personally I'll wait for a concrete opinion from a few trusted sources before I throw my toys out the pram and march on parliament.

Too many businesses and people will have their noses put out of joint over this, it'll be a shame but i'm not sure it will come to pass.

watch this space!

23. Softly softly catchy monkey.

24. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

OK then, so Wrong-Un, what is the deal???
    Will the 8 point law still be valid? Im thinkin of possibly movin back to the UK, just a thought as of now, but if i have to go from police state Italy to police state UK theres no real point.
    Politics suck. I come from punk rock, so all this bullshit makes little to no sense to me and i have a hard time understanding what has to go thru these knob heads at the govnmt to write laws such as this one. I guess im too open minded.

25. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

At this point we don't know for certain. This is just a proposal at the moment and still under discussion at so many different levels. My interpretation of the proposal is that modifying is not to be outlawed, just a lot more controlled, which is what the 8 point system sort of does, as does the current MOT. You have to remember that this is more about bringing Eastern European states into line with what is in place in other parts of Europe, it's just somewhat heavy handed in the way it has been presented.

26. the way i and a few others see it, you aint gonna stop a lord of so and so going out with the lads and kicking the shit out of there bentley's and there not gonna close down a whole hobby/livelyhood when it brings income. Its just how the new laws are gonna apply to us which is the hazy bit cause there aint no clear answers of yet, Neil's working on it from our perspective which is what it needs, it just seems the ACE screams death everytime a MP farts...

27. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

The FBHVC have just issued this press release:

23 August 2012

EU ROADWORTHINESS TESTING

When the European Parliament Historic Vehicle Group (EPHVG) met in May, Szabolcs Schmidt the head of the EC Road Safety Unit, mentioned that proposals for revisions to the Roadworthiness Testing Directive, following a 2010 consultation, were expected ‘in the summer’. In July, the European Commission published the detail which turned out to be a proposal to replace the current Roadworthiness Testing Directive (2009/40/EC) with a completely new Directive.

The draft of the new Directive has implications for all motorists, not just historic vehicle owners. Amongst other things, the draft includes requirements to test all trailers (which in turn implies a registration system) and requires tests to make reference to a vehicle’s original ‘technical characteristics’. The meaning of this expression is not defined. National governments are granted the right to make their own testing arrangements for ‘vehicles of historic interest’. A vehicle of historic interest is then defined as one that
    • Was manufactured more than 30 years ago
    • Is maintained by use of replacement parts which reproduce the historic components of the vehicle
    • Has not sustained in the technical characteristics of its main components such as engine, brakes, steering or suspension; and
    • Has not been changed in its appearance.

FBHVC considers this definition to be unworkable and completely unacceptable. FBHVC also rejects the suggestion that Roadworthiness Testing should relate to a vehicle’s ‘technical characteristics’, whatever the age of the vehicle. Modifications, alterations and improvements are all part of the history of motor vehicles and the older the vehicle, the more likely it is that it will have been altered at some stage. At present the basic tenet of a UK MoT test is that it is one of mechanical fitness. There is no database of original specifications for UK vehicles, so testing to original 'technical characteristics' is simply pie-in-the-sky.

Earlier this month, the Department for Transport asked stakeholders for comment on the proposals. FBHVC will be responding formally to this request when further analysis of the detailed proposals has been completed. FBHVC will be discussing the implications of the proposal with the international organisation, FIVA, and through them with the EPHVG group as well as with the All Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicle Group in the UK.

It should be remembered that this is still just a proposal. It has to have approval by each EU member country before it is adopted. Some media commentary on this topic has tended towards the ‘we’re doomed’ end of the scale. It is certainly a serious issue and FBHVC is treating it accordingly.

In their covering email they also added:

There has been quite a bit about this in the press lately and please be assured that we are taking it very seriously and working hard on behalf of all member clubs to seek a sensible result. It should be remembered however that it is just a proposal at this stage and has not yet gone through the EU governmental stages - after which it will have to be approved, or otherwise, by each member country.

Certainly a more reasoned argument and once again confirmation that they are supporting modified cars.

28. ROCKIT

ROCKIT

Unfortunately, I understand that this is NOT a 'proposal' it is set to be passed as a new regulation which must be implemented.
    My personal opinion is that this law has been worked on for some years by the large motor manufacturers (BM MERC etc.) so that they can gain control over there products and earn money from the aftercare. It will also give them control over how long a vehicle can remain in use and so perpetuating there manufacturing profits.

Edit:- Just read the fresh post regarding the FBHVC? Statement, It looks as though I am to be corrected!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012