Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935-1936 Ford pickup tech for the masses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Old&Low

Old&Low

The small indentation ahead of the doors on 36's was Ford's subtle way of ending the door molding line. The removable door garnish mldgs were only on 'Early' 35's; later 35's were built into the door like 36's. The difference between pickup and 'big' truck grilles on the lower lip is something I never noticed before!! Probably because I was always trashing mine driving in to Sonic before I figured out that going in at an angle was the ONLY way to clear the grille! Thanks for the info, a great post. If you ever get a chance to look at "The Commercial Fords" by Lorin Sorensen prepare to drool.

2. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Very cool - Thanks!

3. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

There are many differences in the Aussie 35-36 cabs compared to the US ones. Aussie cabs have screw on drip rails, the floor & door frames are full of wood, all Aussie cabs have garnish moulds & NO finger reveals, the cab roofs peak at the back which makes it look less flowing & kinda goofy. Give me a US cab anyday as they as so much nicer.

4. slammedcivicsi

slammedcivicsi

great post, helps me learn a lot

5. mow too much

mow too much

Back up for the masses.:D

6. streetrodderbn

streetrodderbn
    from n.e. Ohio

awesome!!! Great info for my 35 1/2 ton buildup!!!!!

7. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Great thread! Now I know I have an early 35! At least early 35 doors :D

8. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Hey! I'm new to this thread and just joined the social group. Lots of really good info in both places.

Question: The pickup I'm looking at has 2 holes, one on each side, above the winshield for wipers. I am pretty sure they are both factory. Most that I've seen only have one drivers side wiper. What are the differences here? Seems like a "DeLuxe" sort of thing. Were there DeLuxe pickups?

9. redzula

redzula

I have only read through pg 5 but im getting ready to leave work and thought I'd ask a question. its somewhat related because the part in qustion came with my 36ish pickup (im going to have to go look at my truck again and see what all I have because im sure it was made from a few different trucks.)

Anyway when I got my pickup the previous owner got real excited to show me a mirror clock that he had for the truck that the owner before him had. I have no idea what year this clock would have come from as its probably an aftermarket assessor but I have tried to do some research on my clock and have turned up nothing
    [​IMG]
    I need to get it repaired and replated but this is the clock. Most I have seen have an actual analog clock that sits through the mirror. However, this clock sits behind the mirror and shows the time through the “windows” in the mirror itself. It is also set up very different because the face moves around a stationary line to tell the time . rather than having moving hands. I would love any information about this clock. Such as was it an option for our year trucks or is it aftermarket. And is there anybody around that works on these things. Sorry to jump the thread but I felt it was a cool item that others might like to see.
    Any info is much appreciated and if you feel I am jacking the thread I can remove my post no problem
    [​IMG] also looking at my pic of my "36" it has the wrong fenders on it at least. I will definatly be going through it with this thread open to see what parts are what years.

thanks for posting all of this great information.
    <!-- / message -->

10. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Your fenders look like they have slots, which is correct for '36. '35 had holes, so bumper irons had to be removed to remove the fender. Everything that I can see in your pic looks '36...... except the mirror clock.

11. redzula

redzula

Oh, I understood it at holes/slots or smooth no slots like commercial trucks I didn't realize slots and hole werenot the same. That makes sense then.

Everyone ei have shown the clock to hasn't seen another like it its a new haven clock but that's all I know about it

12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey, I started another thread regarding the subject of a truck (not comercial, but full size truck). But I think there is more luck asking the same question here, with the numbers of smart people In here!

It's the same front as the Black truck with the bad ass attitude on the newere style wheels.
    But is that the stock grill ornament? Is the grill surposed to be chromed?

The one we have is painted, and made of one piece, and all painted.
    Were would a guy like me find a piece like that?

13. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Look here: http://www.bobdrake.com/Categories2.aspx?Id=19griilcom

14. I think the trucks use a shorter firewall if my memory serves correctly.

15. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

The Black Truck has US36, so I'm assuming it's a US Cab with Truck Guards etc......But that Bonnet & Grill are definitely 35 & the Grille he would have had it chromed as they were just painted with the chrome or stainless trim.

16. cr1hotrod

cr1hotrod

Can someone tell me what year this is...and how you can tell. I was told when I bought it that it was a '36 but now I have my doubts. I have been through all the forums and can't put my finger on it. Any help on the subject would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Toms Dogs likes this.
  17. It looks like my '36, except for the gas filler.

18. trollst

trollst

cr1hotrod, its a 37, notice the peaked windshield, 35 and 36 are flat windshields.

19. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yep, '37 only year of the three that has two panes, V'd and not one flat one. And it's yellow, only '37 came yellow.

...just kidding about that last one.

20. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

I believe the gas filler means it would be off a big truck

And the battery tray on the fire wall is a clue for 37 also

21. cr1hotrod

cr1hotrod

Thanks for all the input. I bought the truck, but it actually belongs to "Jet36"...he couldn't get out of work and didn't want it to get away.

I hadn't noticed the other years didn't have the the "V" window...blind I guess. But this is our first project of this era so excuse my lack of knowledge.

Under all of the yellow/orange the cab is blue so no telling what the original color was. I like it the way it is though.

The fuel filler neck is just a hack job through the body...where should it be?
    The body tag on the firewall is completely blank. Where should the VIN be, if that's what they had then? The cab is all we have by the way. I'm sure we'll be doing tons of research on here as far as what chassis and suspension to go with for a rat type truck.

Thanks again guys...We look forward to being regulars here.

22. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

The filler neck comes through the bed side at the rear, on the driver's side.

23. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

That was probably a commercial "big truck" cab with the tank under the seat. If so, the filler would have been inside the passenger door. A pickup tank is in the rear as Mr. Jeem said.

24. henryj429

henryj429

OK, survey time......

I'm just starting to set up the chassis for my 37.

For a good hot rod stance, what are the preferred front and rear tire diameters?

25. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I've got 25" tall front tires and 30" tall rear tires. 4.50 16 and 7.50 16

26. Bbook

Bbook

Thanks for the Bob Drake link for grill parts. I have the '36 1.5 ton grill. Will the stainless steel trim they show for the '35-'36 Pickup & Commercial fit the big truck grill?

27. Yes, they share the same grill. When the link says Commercial they are referring to the big trucks.
    The Wizzard

28. We have a commercial cab going on our shop truck. I have the pick up front fenders. I need rears or at least one pass side rear. The one on our frame is rough and will need to make patch panels (time?) and we need one running board, Drivers side I think?. So seeing these differences was informative and needed here. Thanks very much for your needed post!!!

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think they are all essentially the same.

30. iamhilarious

iamhilarious

Thank you guys for all the help, my father-in-law just got his hands on what I know now is a 1935 pickup