Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this old Gas pump worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, Aug 22, 2012.

1. I must say, I hate posting this type of thread...but I have no clue.

Some guy was over to my farm to help me out on an engine install, and wants to buy the old gas pump and the old "Cliff's Service" sign I have.

The gas pump was part of a relative's service station/general store back in the 1940's -1960s in the small village near here of Hersey Michigan. After Cliff sold out, the gas pump was used here on the farm until about 10 years ago. It worked when it was last used and we went to above-ground tanks. The sign has hung on the wall for as long as I can remember.

I'll probably part with the pump and sign, as I have no direct use for them anymore.

The pump has the sky chief porcelain signs on both sides and the "glass insert" that says sky chief. The correct top globe was stolen years ago.

The sign is about 4 by 5 feet, the bread-loaf is stamped embossed in the sign. Appears to be a form of paint/porcelain.

The guy offered me $250 for the gas pump, and $100 for the sign, is this a reasonable figure? I have no clue. Please help guys.

Attached Files:

2. big creep

big creep

ill give you 100 bucks for it.

3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I'll double his offer!! Seriously, those signs on the pump are probably $200 each. That pumps worth a grand. I hate to be "the spoiler"

4. I really have no idea, but they seem lo ball to me. Hell, I'll give you that much without hesitation

5. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I believe there is your answer.

6. The pump if all there but the globe should be worth $800 - $1200 less if not complete and the sign being that big and porcelain should fetch $350 or so.

7. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

In Wisconsin gas pumps like that can go for 300 or so.

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

9. was the guy named Frank or Mike? was he driving a mercedes van?

10. 5window

5window

just a quick search on Google and here's the fist hit-looks like restored ones are about $3K. If you price yours at $250, I think a lot of HAMBers will be in their trucks tomorrow morning-I'd consider driving out myself-nothing like that around here. I'd say $1k is more like it, but unless you need the money, why sell it?

11. I wouldn't sell the pump for less than $1K. The sign I would think should be $350 to $500.
    I restore pumps for a living. The original porcelain
    Signs and ad glass are $ and important to the value .
    I say keep them.

12. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

i would say around a grand, but for a freind that helped with a motor install,your call.

13. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

I've heard those went for a grand twenty years ago... So at least that.. Know when to hold 'em..

14. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

15. That's a Tokheim model 39 with the ad glass. If the porcelain signs AND the porcelain pump faces are good it might be worth $1K. I have three similar pumps and bought all three for a whole lot less than that, ..... but that was ten years ago. I'm in a rural area so things are pretty cheap 'round these parts. Might be different where you are.
    The sign is damned cool. If I had it there's no way I'd let it go for $500.

Just one man's opinions.

16. stude54

stude54
    from michigan

Just a thought, but are you sure that is the correct glass top for the pump.

Growing up in the 50's, I remember those pumps but the ones I remember has a round Sky Chief globe on top that matched the emblems on the pump.

Just askin' because it would have quite an effect on the value

17. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Stude, read the thread. The globe was stolen...

18. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your pump is a "short" Tokheim 39 that came out in the early '50s. It looks like it has an optional hose take-up and guard, and if in good restorable condition, should be worth at least $500.
    JFYI, Texaco never allowed the add glass to be lower than the computor, so while OK for some other brands, your's is not correct for Texaco. :)

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

Tell him a grand for the pair if you can use the quick cash or advertise them and wait for a good price. Hard to sell even good stuff these days.

20. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

Tokhiem 39 short the Chevy truck of gas pumps not hard to get at all 350 to 400 bucks if the signs are real and in good shape they should have dates in the corner 150 200 ea is sell the signs off the pump

21. redstraw

redstraw
    from tn

I would not take less than 1k thats bottom I work on gass equip. for a living so I know allitle about it mainly new stuff but still Ive seen alot worse go for more just my two cents.

22. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

I'd say the signs and sky chief lenses are worth as much as the pump. The porcelain sign looks like it has a chip with rust which affects the value, but still very cool. I've seen them around here for about $900 for the pump with the signs and lenses. The bread sign a few hundred probably. Hope this helps.

awd_maine likes this.
  23. As I said in the original first post, it has the original sky chief porcelain signs...the original top globe was stolen years ago

24. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Yeah...I'd let that guy keep looking for another pump...

25. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Something else to consider...they aren't taking up room, and have family/local history. the money you'd get would go away, then what? You'll have different "Stuff" but nothing as cool as this "stuff".
    It's like people bringing family heirlooms in to "Pawn Stars" and getting lowballed so they can get a little more to gamble away. It's gone, then what? They got NOTHIN'!

26. I agree with that, but then I'm kind of a hoarder myself. Sentimental value takes precedence over actual/realistic value way too many times in my life, ..... but I ain't ever gonna change!
    And, if I had that pump there's no way in Hell I'd ever restore it. Just throw a repop globe on top and use it for a night light outside the shop (or maybe INSIDE).

27. henryj429

henryj429

Check Oldgas.com to see what pumps are selling for these days. I agree with the other posters - you have grand worth of stuff there.

28. scarylarry

scarylarry

Wow, now I see what the picker shows are popular...interesting pricing ideas all over the place. I do this stuff for a living so I'll let you guys keep pricing them.

29. Abomb

Abomb

I'll be short and sweet, and of very little help...That stuff, and all stuff, is worth exactly what someone will pay you for it. If you and your potential buyer can agree on a price, that's what it's worth to both of you...if you can't, well, then you either need to advertise, and find a buyer that will pay you more, or keep it, since it's worth more to you than anybody else.

Tell the potential buyer what your research has said it's worth, and see if he agrees, counter offers, or walks...that's the only way you can find it's true value to him....and you.

30. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

As previously mentioned, was the guy a friend helping you out to do the engine swap - or was he an on looker and in the way? If he was helping you out, maybe that could reflect in the price accordingly.