Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is Ebay REALLY Gay (Egay)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Aug 8, 2005.

1. GomezGarage

GomezGarage

How about a feedback system or forum for Hambers that sell and buy. Kind of like the intro board but just for transaction feedback. No flaming or bagging on people just facts about deals and who NOT to deal with. That way we are all self regulated just like the Hamb is meant to be.

2. SO......You wanna pay it youself then right? :D then there IS nothing wrong with PayPal right?JEEEESH!
    I also dont wear foil on my head at night either so I am a risk taker by nature-I suppose.
    The guy above who SAYS "they" lost 30 000- why would you not have a seperate account for storage of their large sums of cash?

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just don't trust Paypal, that is why I don't and won't have an account with them. :)

4. Man....Ive bought a SHITLOAD of parts for my Deuce on Ebay and send the money order within a day or two of winning the bid. Why? Coz I WANT that part that I simply CANT get Down Under. And I usually get the stuff promptly, after a little explainin that UPS is hopeless and US Air Mail is way better !!!

Put simply, if you dont have the moolah...DONT BLOODY BID !!

I like to call it Hot Rod Karma !!

Rat

5. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

would recommend hambers Tim, mulefarmer ,47MERC, tree,bigticket bought from all these all deal went well damn good guys and thanks to the hamb for helping me get my contacts and meeting them.

6. AMEN! Don't tell me in front of God you want the parts, and THEN count your fucking money, just to find you don't have any. Count your money BEFORE (DUH!) you tell someone you want the part. ALSO, don't say you don't have the money 2 fucking weeks after the fact. Meanwhile the seller has let 2 weeks go when he could have used the money. It's just fucking STUPID, and unfair to the seller.

7. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

You can't trust anyone; why would you sign up for something online that requires you to give them your account number? :rolleyes: Personally, I wouldn't give out my account number to anyone - & surely wouldn't allow anyone to have access to my account! I would make sure my bank understood that no one is to remove funds without my signature.
    I forgot to mention; folks here on the HAMB have been straight with me.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

America - made in China! :-(

8. tim burns

tim burns
    from Oregon

all i can say is if you aint got the cash in your hand dont make the fuckin' deal! i foolishly trusted a hamb'er & am being strung out for months without payment in full. never again will anything leave my possesion before i am paid in full. makes me sad, i thought he was a cool guy.

9. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Do you want to buy a book? nelsonspeedway

10. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Oh, man that is soooo gay.

11. 55olds88

55olds88

I think the problem we all suffer from on here is that we rightly treat the HAMB'r that we are dealing with as if he is some kind of long lost buddy and you know what paying them is sometimes like sorta worse then regular folks 'cause your mates an all.......
    I know I try to get things done, payed and posted asap but you do have that little more casual feel about it then Ebay or our local trade me version.
    Paypal works good for me, lets me pay people overseas for stuff with my credit card, wonderfull tool, dunno about the having a bank a/c with money in it tied in deal...... however down here we use internet banking and give people bank a/c details to pay into all the time and I never hear of any real problems........ I guess alot of the problems people run into with all these things are probably personal security things and doing dumb stuff like falling for the scam emails etc you get from time to time purporting to be from ebay or paypal.

12. True. Here you can pass it on, on eBay the only way to do it is hide it as a handling fee, if you're up front about it, that's against the rules. Then again this is the HAMB, why pass it on?

I've made a few deals through here and been satisfied both ways. Any more, I don't even worry about top dollar, I'd rather move the shit out. Everybody's funny sometimes -

13. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I love Paypal, and will GLADLY eat the 3% to get my money quickly. By the time you wait for somebody to take time off work(or their lazy @ss) to get a money order, put it in an envelope, mail it, and have the mail finally arrive your vintage parts you sold are way more vintage then when you sold them. Most people pay quickly with Paypal, as its easy and you can use it at 3am right from your comfy chair. My .02

14. Well, you all have good points. I strongly disagree with anyone that thinks eBay or PayPal are unsafe. There are something like 50 MILLION ebay users, a huge percentage of those are PayPal members also. We all have had issues in the past with Both PayPal and Ebay, but the problems are 99.99% with Buyers and Sellers and not PayPal or Ebay. If they were not safe to use, nobody would use them, but that is not the case, a HUGE percentage of Americans have accounts with Both.

Squablow and I do a lot of trading back and forth and both sell a lot of stuff on the bay. Now we agree and disagree on minor issues, but I think we both agree that eBay is a good thing. Both of use would certainly not be able to live the lifestyles we have if it was not for eBay.

My BIGGEST complaint with the whole system is that people don't understand that if something will sell for $1,000 on ebay, then it is worth $1,000. My friends give me a lot of shit because I want a reasonable price for something, often more than they are willing to pay. This REALLY pisses me off. I don't owe anybody shit and if I can sell it for $1,000 on eBay, why in the hell would I sell it to you for $100? 99.9% of the time, I will sell it for significatly less than I feel that I would get on ebay, like say $600. That never seems good enough however. I still come off as the tight ass bad guy because they think or know I probably only have $50 in it. Worst thing is, if THEY had something for sale, then certainly I would be expected to pay full price.
    I offered a 68 Chevy shoftbox stepside 4x4 to my friends. Price was $1,000. That was WAY to much I was told and I got a lot of shit for it. Okay, I put it up for auction and got $2450 and the guy who bought it told me he would have paid up to $3500. I have offered TONS of stuff like that to my friends just to get shit for being a tight ass and trying to make a buck. Well, yeah, so what if I make a buck, it is what I do. Doesn't mean you still can't get a good deal. Or, go spend a quarter mil on your own commercial property, leave your job, get your own dealer's liceance and do it yourself! Otherwise, shut the fuck up and pay full price all the time from somebody else. I have sold two cars to friends this past year. Both were significantly less than I would have gotten on ebay. One was over $3000 less than what it was worth, the other was probably about $2,000 less. So I am out $5000 and still the bad guy.
    What really pisses me off is when I offer something for next to free, and then you want to beat me down in price more! Or drag out the sale for months and months. I am almost to the point of saying screw everyone (except Squablow because we always have good deals back and forth) and ONLY selling on ebay. It is usually 10 times the effort to sell on the Hamb or anywhere other than ebay. The eBay fees and PayPal fees are worth every penny!

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe so, but when that check or money order arrives you have cash in your hand, and not is some cyberspace "account".:)

16. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Its not in some "Cyberspace Account", its goes directly into MY bank account, right where it should be:D

17. Dirk35

Dirk35

I am guilty of this too. All three fronts just Like Grim said. So I remember that and be patient with those I deal with through the HAMB.

I have spent way too much time getting the money to those I have made deal with on small things, and I also have some parts out there that I only got partial delivery on stuff I I bought, but he said he would get the stuff to me, so Im not terribly worried.

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

If your not happy with any transaction here let Ryan know. PERIOD!
    It is not necessary to post and reply to bad deals in a public forum when it can be taken care of in private. Quit crying and take care of it the right way.

19. hatch

hatch
    from house

Ebay is more entertainment than TV. I buy and sell and am hooked bigtime...so far no problems. I do prefer western union (bid pay) just because Western Union has been moving money around the world decades before the internet was even thought of.

20. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Tell that to the folks that have been screwed big time!!! At least I've only been taken for a few bucks.

Yeah that's because egay now owns paypunks.

A huge percentage of Americans are idiots, too.:D

Yeah? So when trying to get a deal on memory for my Playstation, & it goes for $43 on egay (plus shipping), I should go tell Wallmart they're selling it too cheaply at $39.95????
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

There is no problem that cannot be solved with the right application of high explosives.

21. Holy shit! A lot of you really got off course on this one. But i gotta say, almost 1500 lookers, and 50 posts! Very good overall. Or is it underalls?

22. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

Unless its a counterfit then you got a peice of paper that aint worth shit the only way you got cash in your hand is if you got cash in your hand all other ways of payment are made on promises and hopes that the method the person paid with will be honored and cash will then placed in your hand.I have had alot of dealings on the Hamb board and all I report are good and as far as Ebay goes my current bike was built with funds from ebay.If everyone is so worried about cycerspace buying selling put a sign on it and sit it in the front yard forsale,chances are it will get stolen or vandilized so you still will get ripped of in another way all together:D 20 people may go by my house a day and maybe one will see what I have for sale and be interested in my item 200 million people surf ebay and maybe 1000 will be interested in my items I will take my chances hands down with Cyber space buying which has rewarded me in many ways and if not for it I would have missed out on some really cool items I have longed for that other other wise I would have problably never been able to find.....:D

Shoe

23. Tony

Tony

The only issue's i've had that kinda bug me are when i have something listed for sale and someone want's it, but either never get's around to sending cash, or contacting you to tell you they don't want it anymore.
    They say the'll take it, and that the money's on the way, but i never see it.
    I've even contacted them a few time's asking if they still want the stuff cause i need the scratch..
    Same thing, "yes i still want them, and i'll get you a money order asap"..
    No money order's come.

I'm a man of my word, and if i make a deal and tell some one it's thiers, then it's thiers..i won't sell it out from under them.
    It's NOT a big deal if they either changed their mind, or can't afford the stuff..
    Just let a guy know so he can re list them.
    I'm still "sitting" on a few items that were 'sold' but not "bought" yet if you know what i mean.

Thats my only complaint...
    PLEASE TELL A GUY if you changed your mind!!!

24. Close to point, but i think if you can't afford the item, don't let me know so i can relist. The problem with relisting is some people will think there's something wrong with the item, and that's why the first buyer refused it. This potentially makes it a bitch to sell the second time around! DON'T fucking say you want it to begin with. How stupid can you be if you don't even know how much money's in your own pocket? God dammit, there's gotta be a point where you're smart enough to wipe your own fucking nose.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Lets not forget to take a step back and look at the broad perspective. The HAMB classifieds are FREE and unlike eBay, you have someone that will go after deadbeats with everything they have.

26. RonC

RonC
    from Montebello

I used to be fairly active over on a cigar board. They had a link on your profile where you could leave feedback about a transaction you did with someone. It did a good job of keeping guys honest cause no one would trade with you if you were blowing deals all the time. Kind of like feedback on ebay.

On the other hand, I held on to a Triumph project for over a year cause a buddy kept saying he was going to buy it. And he was getting everything at real good friend price,,,,Borderline losing money. eventually, it all got loaded on the truck and hauled out to Fathers day swap meet and was sold at over double what I had offered it to him for. And I still have a few parts left over.

I give away a lot of stuff. And if I can pick up something real cheap then my friends get it at the same price. But I don't like to get taken advantage of because of my generosity. And I don't mind giving a complete stranger whos short on cash a great deal on a part if he can convince me that he needs the part for his project and not to turn.

Where am I going with this ........I'm rambling now.....

27. RonC

RonC
    from Montebello

And regarding Paypal. There are two types of account. One that charges you 3% on all transactions but you can accept credit cards. The other is free for all transactions but no credit cards. I have the free one and specify that I cannot accept credit cards. They make their money by sitting on your funds for a few days till your able to withdraw it, and with the millions that goes through them the make a nice penny. and if you don't have any money in your bank account the deal wont go through.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

That last line is the scary part. They can hit your account several times and you rack up overdraft fees with your bank or they tap into other accounts. Thought about opening an account with a different bank in town just for Paypal, and the bank manager told me that Paypay was risky. Nothing wrong with money orders & checks. :)

29. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

why are you trying to pay for stuff with paypal that you don't have the money in your bank account to cover anyway?