Register now to get rid of these ads!

The YAY-HOO CUP 2012... Congrats Jason!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLAKE, Aug 21, 2012.

1. BLAKE

BLAKE

As I mentioned in the other thread, anyone familiar with the story of last year's win by Jason 'DASCHAEFER' Schaefer and family (here) effectively already know what happened this year... but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

This year was the fourth year for the YAY-HOO CUP, and once again we'd like to thank all those who drive out the HAMB Drags each year and register to make a run for The Cup. This year we had ten registrants... familiar names... good friends:

Jason Schaefer (DASCHAEFER) - 300 miles driven to the event
    Robin Harvey (RAVEN) - 300 miles
    Jason Holland (JHO) - 400 miles
    Jim Forbes (SQUIRREL) - 1150 miles
    Tyler Zandell (FLT-BLK) - 600 miles
    Bob Klessig (BOBK) - 5500 miles
    Nick Hoesing (MALCOLM) - 400 miles
    Tom Hassell (SEADOG) - 850 miles
    Jeff Yocum (FLAMEDABONE) - 2500 miles
    Danny Graham (DANNY G) - 700 miles

All these guys rule. However, once the dust settled, Jason became our second two-time YAY-HOO CUP champ with a single 10.62 quarter-mile pass which included braking at the fast end when he shut down after losing oil pressure!

Like I said before, the story from there is pretty much the same as the one we told last year. The bottom end of Jason's 'Chicken Coupe' couldn't quite hold up, so his buddy tows him and the family back to Joplin behind his Caddy-powered sedan (which ran 11.6 its own self!). Once back at Home Hotel, Jason and family celebrate briefly, then make an early night of it so they can get up extra-early Sunday to head back home... the kids have school Monday.... etc... Same as last year!

The Schaefer gang rule, fellas. Seriously. This a family event for them, and they embrace it unlike anyone else we know. Congrats guys!

Some pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ryno

ryno

Congrats indeed!

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats, Jason. Was that FUN or what??? You spit another one on the track, but not without a killer pass. I think your string of 10.60s will stand for a good long time or untill you beat it.

....but maybe Squirrel might have something for you next year.....

Congratulations and see you in a year. -Abone.

4. BLAKE

BLAKE

A point of clarification, for those what don't know... in four years, we've only put 2 names on The Cup... Jeff 'FLAMEDABONE' Yocum (2009-2010) and Jason 'DASCHAEFER' Schaefer (2011-2012). Wonder if anyone can change that...?

Can't wait 'til next year! :D

5. Yea the Raven and I passed them in town they were pushing that sedan with that rope.

Good folks, ya gotta respect a man that trashes one and keeps his sanity about him. "That's Racin'"

6. BLAKE

BLAKE

This cracks me up... 2011...

[​IMG]

... and 2012. They rule.

[​IMG]

7. ratster

ratster

wtg! my fellow club mate. it aint easy being greazy but you rocked it well. can't wait until next year when we all go.... Greazy hubcapz rule!!

8. greazy john

greazy john

9. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

10. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Congrats Jason, well deserved. Both you and Jeff have provided us a lot of entertainment the last few years...Thanks. Gary

11. Congrats, that's hauling the mail !

12. This is what it's all about! Congrats Jason!!!

13. zep058

zep058

If it wasn't for the modern door remote on the pants that could be a vintage shot if it was B&W. Cool family!

14. Angy

Angy

So sorry we had to miss this!!!! Jason kicks ass. We hope to be there in 2013 to shake your hand.

15. squirrel

squirrel

Add my name to the Congrats! list

That little A really hauls

16. oldsman71

oldsman71

congrats!!!! thats moving on!!!

17. Well I think it's become a tradition to tow Jason back to the hotel. I think we'll do it from now just for the fun of it.

18. daschaefer

daschaefer

Thanks Everybody!

I finally settled down enough to study a video of my pass and looked closely at my timeslip to see what the "One-Pass-Wonder" was really doing.

60 foot was 1.66 (25 psi in the radials)
    Walked it out and floored it about 60 foot mark
    1/8 mile was 6.80 at 105.5
    1000 ft was 8.82 at 120
    Engine started making crunchy noises w/ no oil pressure
    I killed it, freaked and breifly hit the brakes approx 30 ft short of finish
    1/4 mile was 10.62 and mph dropped to 116.5 (slower than 1000 ft)

pulled the oil pan this afternoon
    #1, #7 and #4 rod bearings are galled as if the stock rods arent round anymore??? Also the crank dosent spin freely in the mains anymore???

Gonna eat Ramen Noodles all year so I can afford some good rods and a forged crankshaft.

Also gonna start a new thread about adventures on the roadtrip to Joplin. I would love to hear some stories from the other guys that ran for the cup.

19. daschaefer

daschaefer

No way Kenny,,,,

If you get any faster I wont be able to keep up while your towing me...

20. squirrel

squirrel

We don't have much of a story, just drove and drove. Spent the night in Amarillo. Drove and drove some more.

I did the math yesterday...12.47 mpg on the whole trip including racing.

On the way home, after the first day of driving, got a call from the credit card company. They were concerned that I was making lots of charges at gas stations. I had to explain that when you drive an old car on a long trip, you have to stop every hour or two and fill it up with gas.

21. Great story, Congrats!
    The stuff legends are made of.

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Bingo. I drove straight through from Raleigh, NC on Thursday, got to Ryno's late and slept on the floor. Left Sunday morning after breakfast and was home just after midnight.

23. daschaefer

daschaefer

Thats AWESOME, I know what its like to stop every hour or two for gas. 9 gallon tank at 9 MPG this year. Stories like this will make the green people run for cover.

24. raven

raven

My story was that I drove 300 miles in the roadster getting beat to death by the wind and the noise from it. Funny the open headers were the least of the noise.
    After wadding the fan belt on my second run, we were able to get the spare on it only to find out that the carb was flooding. Limped it back to the pits, and took it apart. Ben and I found a small bit of teflon tape stuck in the needle for the secondaries. Ben got it all back together while I ran up to the starting line to get my picture taken for being one of the few that have made it to every HAMD drags.
    Next run was the fastest of my little roadster's life. 12.50 @ 108 on skinny, rock-hard truck tires. Then next run Benno tuned a little too much for the tires and I lost half a second with no traction. I'm hoping next year I can have some slicks and really be in the running...
    Thanks to Porknbeaner for helping with the trash to get the car ready last year and this year. I wouldn't have made it without his help and expertise.
    r

25. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

Congrats Jason!

Your "One Pass Wonder" is truly a wonder! That is really quick!

Although with Jeff having to build a new motor....and you building a new motor.....it could be a fun and very fast next year. (plus the others all seem to be getting faster too...)

So next year will either be a tie breaker or we will have a new player in the game....I can hardly wait to see what happens!

-Clif

26. squirrel

squirrel

No, you just have to drive at least 150 miles to get there. .

27. BLAKE

BLAKE

It's mostly nepotism and popularity... like high school.

28. squirrel

squirrel

But I think one unstated requirement is that you need a badass blower....we all know blown cars can't be street driven, that's one thing that makes it so fun

29. BLAKE

BLAKE

Look for this in the cafetorium... and sit there... done.

[​IMG]

Seriously, SQUIRREL nailed it. You just have to drive your car to the event (at least 150 miles) and register with the Yay-Hoos. Quickest pass wins a dash plaque and gets their name on the cup for posterity. Simple!

30. BLAKE

BLAKE

Tough one... apples and oranges. The RoundUp is sensory overload, Austin-style... music, food, crowds, minibikes, and world-class cars... 3-4 days of non-stop activity, and pulls folks in from all over the world. The HAMB Drags is smaller, more intimate and relaxed, and drag-centric... not a car show, per se, but which sees folks driving cool stuff in from all over the US... usually the same great folks you see year-after-year, and many who loop it into their Bonneville trips.