Register now to get rid of these ads!

Losing your storage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Aug 21, 2012.

1. What do you do when you lose your storage... Like you have a 3 days to move all your crap out?

Do you sell it? Give it away? Scrap it? Bring it home and hope the wife doesn't really notice the garage is full of greasy car parts and tools?

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What about sorting it out and putting the stuff you really want to keep in one of those 10 x 20 storage buldings you can rent ? For about $ 75 a month down here I have rented them when I had overflow.

Don

3. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! Buy one of those pre-fab storage buildings they deliver to your address, after renting a storage building for a year for mom's stuff my sister finally broke down and bought one, it has already paid for itself.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how does someone lose storage with only 3 days to pack up and leave? that sucks.

5. wallyringo

wallyringo

you sort it out after work and sell what you can live without to your hamb brothers.

6. brad chevy

brad chevy

If all you got is 3 days,load the junk on a trailer and throw a tarp over it till you can decide what to do. Sumter Swapmeet is Sept 2nd,not far from you haul it up,sell your stuff and stuff that don't sell and you don't want give it away "TO ME " or scrap it. you'll figure something out.

7. You get PRIORITIES! FAST!

8. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Take what you feel you will use in 12 months time or less and find temporary space at home first. Second, find what you are sure you can get what you feel is a fair price for and load it onto a trailer for a swap meet. Third, take the rest and post on here that it's free to a good hamb home. Anything left on final move out day you let a scrapper have and buy a beer to lament your losses over with the dough.

9. Been trying to sell some stuff literally for six months so I don't have to move it from where my storage was with not even an offer, so I can't help you.

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

You quickly find out a lot of things are too good to throw away, but not good enough to keep.
    For all of those, you give them away, or scrap them out.

For the rest, pack it in the garage until other accommodations can be made.

-Brad

11. Pull the best stuff into the garage, then have a keep and sell pile. If you tell her your going to sell it maybe she'll be ok.

my girlfriend lived with me in my 1 bedroom apartment and it was full of car parts (even in the kitchen), so she doesn't mind the packed garage or backyard at the house now. :)

12. 327Eric

327Eric

you prioritize fast, and sell cheap. I have had a bit longer, but i am finding that most of my treasures are not worth storing.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Might be just in time to call Storage Wars... They pay big $$ for the misfortunes of others...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  14. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Last year the IRS gave me 2 weeks to get out. (not my fault) I had a HUGE garage sell that I advertised here on the HAMB and locally, then I put what I wanted to keep and what didnt sell in a rented storage unit until I got settled in my new shop. What a pain in the ass and I had 2 weeks! Once in the new location I had ALOT more room and still dont miss half the crap I got rid of.

15. GARAGE SALE. Beats scrapping or pitching.

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're legit, your agreement should have prevented this from happening. If it's a failure on someone's part to abide, you get a shyster and start packing, accounting for every gallon of gas, beer for helpers, storage costs for a reasonable time to get re-settled elsewhere. If it's simply your fault, you learn the hard way what procrastinating can breed.

Selling stuff? Price it right to move. I've noticed that not much sells here lately unless it's a Deuce of some kind for $500. Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but many of you know what I mean. The majority of folks have it in their minds not to spend a dime on anything. Good luck...

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Bring it home and hope the wife doesn't really notice the garage is full of greasy car parts and tools?

that's what I would do. I don't see what the problem is if you have room at home. of course I'm single, so I go around doing whatever I want, all the time.

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Call Berry Weiss or that Yupppp Guy.

19. I rent half a barn from my friend's dad, informal arrangement... He's old and prone to deciding "he's to old to deal with this shit"... He wants to be able to just toss his stuff where ever it lands, and my stuff is in the BACK half, so he doesn't want to have to keep a clear path for me to get in and out... before I rented it, it was just a dump off place.

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Post all the stuff up on the Pay it Forward thread. :)

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Get another storage unit. There are many here in Houston at competative prices. BUT, some have caught fire and the renters without insurance lost everything.

If it'll fit in your garage, move it there temporary to please the wife. She'll understand, after you take her shopping.

22. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

If you have the room to temporarily store it at home while you sift through it and pick your treasures then that would be the way I would go.
    At least that way you aren't under the gun to get rid of most of it at once and more than likely make a decision you will regret.
    I'm sure wifey would agree to that one. (Unless she sees through your bull shit intention of getting rid of even one item after it is in the garage) :D That happens to me a lot!

23. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

damn hoarders

24. evs1

evs1

I had two 67 Dodge L-700 cabover cabs, (one Fargo), and a motorhome chassis stored at a friends farm. Way back on top of the hill at the back of the furthest meadow. They sat there untouched just waiting for me to get started. Friend and wife get divorced, she gets farm,( "I need someplace to live Judge, please don't throw me out of my home"), immediatley puts it up for sale at yard sale pricing, I heard her say "that will show the prick", and gets a court order evicting me and my trucks from the property.
    Sold them a couple of days ahead of the crusher. The scrap guy actually showed up 2 days later while I was cleaning up looking for the trucks. He'd already paid her for them.
    Just a bad deal all around. Always thought I'd get another L-Cab but I get about half sick thinking about it and move on.

25. my girlfriend lived with me in my 1 bedroom apartment and it was full of car parts (even in the kitchen), so she doesn't mind the packed garage or backyard at the house now. :)[/QUOTE]
    A little O/T but she sounds like a keeper, certainly more understanding than any of my exes

26. Thing is we have enough Christmas decorations in Rubbermaid tubs to do 3 houses... all stored in the back of the garage, which is a deep one car garage (16x30).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  27. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Us old farts can get pissed off and cranky about what we own sometimes, so I'm sure the old man wants his space....but go back and try to reason with him, calmly, and tell him you will move the stuff, but you need more than three days...and then make a real effort to start getting it out of there. He may ease up a bit if you're nice about it.Good Luck.

28. I'm to the point where I should thin out what I haven't touched in 20 years. Not like anything has a great value, just tired of tripping over it. I'm sure most of us can relate. I'd be screwed if I had to find a new home for it with short notice. Maybe one of those POD things on your driveway will give you time to sort through it.

Bob

29. Check your local code about portable buildings. Portable buildings usually don't affect taxes. Or get one of these temporarily;

Attached Files:

30. 41will

41will
    from Hanover PA

How much $ you have will decide your options. Sounds like most of your stuff isn't really worth a whole lot, yet would cost alot to replace. So it would be a good idea to keep most of it.

You need either a storage facility, or a local garage for rent(most around here won't let you work in them)or a pod container for now. Then look into getting a building, or building something or finding a better option. Property taxes suck but what other options do you have sometimes.