Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing a remote oil filter 261 Chevrolet inline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elbutcher, Aug 21, 2012.

1. elbutcher

elbutcher
    from California

I recently purchased a complete 261 Chevrolet inline six . It's complete except for the oil filter and lines . So I purchased a remote oil filter kit .it uses 1/2 " pipe fittings . The two ports on the side of my block will only accept about 1/4" pipe fittings . This is a big difference anyone have any suggestions or a oil filter housing for sale

2. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

You need to tap the block and make it 1/2 " so it will allow it to be compatable.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

where are you located in Cali?? I live in Chino,Ca and I have a Fram oil canister that came off my 51 chevy p.u.
    I will sell it to you for $25.00. It can be used as is or you can restore it with new paint and label. You will need 2 new lines which is typical anyways and they are sold at places like the Car and Truck shop. PM if you're interested. It uses a basket style filter not the spin on type.

4. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

First make sure you know if the ports are for a full flow or for a side flow oil filter!

5. rtomss

rtomss

Are you sure its a 261? I'd do some research on the block to determine what you have first.

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you have 1/4 inch lines your engine has a bypass system not a full flow. The full flow motors had 1/2 lines. The can be converted but there's drilling and tapping involved so I would only do it on a bare block so can be cleaned out good.

7. elbutcher

elbutcher
    from California

I verified my block again and it is a early 261 . I was thinking that since its not a full flow set up . I should just buy a bee hive style filter set up with the line kit

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Hardware store pipe bushings 1/2 pipe to whatever pipe size in the block for the filter head. AIRC the blocks were all 1/8 pipe for bypass filters.

9. Snarl

Snarl

Correct, that will work. Or use a stock bypass filter setup. The fitting size at the block is 1/8" NPT.

Don't bother with the spin on setup in this situation, as it will not have the right size of orifice to help control the amount of oil, and you could end up starving the bearings of oil. The factory bypass units have a small hole in the tube that goes inside of the filter. This hole is to control the proper amount of oil through the system without starving the bearings of oil. I assume the beehives use something similar...

just dropping the 1/2" down to 1/4" by itself on a spin-on setup will still allow too much oil.

10. yammaslammer

yammaslammer
    from alberta

Hey fellas do i have to run a filter or can i use a hose from port to port for oiling purposes ? some say yes some dont know thanks ?

11. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If you are not running a filter[bypass style] plug off both ports . The return line just dumps into the pan.