Register now to get rid of these ads!

i need a freaking garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Aug 19, 2012.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

got in TWO HOURS of work on the shoebox today before the monsoon started...... 2 feet of floorpan patch and that's it.

shit, if i even had a carport, i could dodge SOME of the rain.

somebody come over and hold this umbrella......

2. blue tarp @ harbor freight - $2.00
    4 pieces of rope - $5.00
    watching you stand under it drinking beer - PRICELESS

3. i have a garage and a shop...i just need less stuff in them

4. 62rebel

62rebel

3" of water in the back yard and the sun shining. rackingfrackingsumbitching weather.....

ah well.

re-read through a big ol' stack of borrowed little pages last night looking for ideas... man; some of what they did in the old days looked pretty damn odd, looking back 50 years!

5. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Go to Dicks or one of those places that have the nylon tents. They're about $40
    That might work?

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It really is tough to work like that, I've had homes with no garage in my younger days and it isn't much fun. I still have not so fond memories of snow melting and running down the back of my neck as I laid under some car. :eek: Finding tools in the grass or dirt is always interesting too.

One time I rented a 10 x 20 storage building and worked out of it. The management of the storage facility didn't allow work to be done in there but I would sneak in after hours, close the door, and work away. I even painted a lot of stuff there.

Don

7. F&J

F&J

It's great, ain't it? ;)

8. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Worse 3" of water in garage!

9. Rob68

Rob68

I have a 58 F100 and no garage. It is rainy and cold and windy (sometimes) here in Portland, I get about 3 months or so of good weather to work on the truck. Time, weather and funds permitting I might get it on the road this summer. If not, at least I still have a 58 F100 I can tinker with. Don't lose sight of the goal.

Attached Files:

10. 62rebel

62rebel

don't worry, i also have a '62 Falcon project that's been here about twelve years..... constantly doing something with it. well; not lately... the shoe has been taking all of my attention.

11. Working on a car outside in the weather sucks, puts oil stains all over the driveway, allows thieves to steal your tools when ya go in to take a dump, kills the grass and pisses the neighbors off.

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

1957 I had to build myself a lean2 out back for my 28 roadster project,cus Dad had both dayly cars in the carport,a 55 Nomad and KizerFrazer.:cool:

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I lived in Charleston SC ( west of the Ashley ) for many years. The rain is not really a bad thing :D Wht kills you is the oppressive heat and humidity of the Low Country.

I feel your pain :D

14. damn i wish we could get rain...

15. Colville

Colville

Metal car ports arent that expensive, Id look into that.

16. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

a shop is one of those life changing events like marrage. there was life before the garage, and life after the garage. i hope one is in your near future.

17. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

10 X 20 canopy from harbor Freight works in a pinch. I got mine for 99.00 because one of the brackets had a crack in it. regularly 150.00

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I was just out weeding my work area so I could move the Model A Vic into it.

I've got a one car garage but can't get even a Model A frame in it right now.

19. I ran a stock car for 2 years with NO garage... not easy and not fun. I did have borrowed garage space for tools, etc, no room for a car. I'd work under tarps lashed to trees, any appreciable rain and I was out of business.

Bob

20. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I got a kick out of the guy here on the hamb in Buffalo NY last winter that was swapping a engine and getting his hot rod to run in a snow storm storm and a foot of snow on the ground.Now that is die hard.

21. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I have a small one stall. Better than what you have, but not much. I feel your pain...

22. Hard core. I remember that one... The most I ever did in the elements was a timing chain on an OT Fury on a 20* windy icy day, a starter at 7* and a front wheel bearing at 6 AM on a 16* day. The last was a water pump on my OT Chevy wagon out in front of the garage at 27* and snowing like a bitch.

Bob

23. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

62 rebel, I feel for your pain.

It has been very hot here all summer, about 99 degrees, and the other day 5 friends came to visit me and left my door open for about two minuits. Wow, the temperature soared in side my air conditioned shop all the way up to 75 degrees. and they tramped in the rain all over my wall to wall carpet in my garage.

I just hate laying on a soggy rug under a car!

24. LIFE'S A BITCH AND THEN YOU DIE! When I was younger did all my work in the driveway working on my back, sand blowing in my mouth,rain,cold, etc.. Yes the good old days wishing for a real garage. Now I'm old and have a three (3) car garage my body is shot from working outdoors. WTF!

25. JimInrADFORDva

JimInrADFORDva

New Jersey in 1976: Laying in a slushy gutter, in January, changing the clutch on a '69 GTX. It was my friend's car. He had bronchitis and stood in the doorway of the house shouting encouragement.

Three houses later and I STILL don't have a garage. Told the wife, "I get to pick the next house."

26. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive worked on the driveway, in the yard and in the street so i feel for ya, now i have 2 shops one the bike shop where we build bikes and one the hotrod shop. both are full of damn car parts.48 x 60 ft. hotrod shop and i can only get 2 cars in there.but its been to hot to work in it. 122 degress the other day. 90 degrees at 8 pm.you can get ya 4 4x4s and a blue tarp and make a shed with that. done it before. it worked out real good. gonna do it again to make a room for sandblasting bigger parts.

27. I remember laying under my 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint changing a freeze plug at my girlfriends house one Monday night on a gravel driveway,,the date was October 14, 1968.

It was raining cats and dogs and the temperature was barely above freezing.

What put the icing on the cake was it was her Birthday and she being a big Steve McQueen fan,,I was going to take her to dinner and the to the movies to see Bullitt.

I did finally get the freeze plug fixed but by the time it was repaired it was almost midnight and all I wanted to do was go home and take a hot shower.

The next weekend we went to see Bullitt,,and you all know that was a great movie! HRP

28. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Hey Danny, that's my wife's birthday also...

Last month I was going to scavenge a transmission out of a hi-top van and I finally get it in the shop, only to realize I dont have enough room to get it jacked up high enough to get the transmission out from underneath...so I drag it back outside and do it in the dirt. When I got finished ( OK, way before that) I realized, " I dont love this shit the way I did when I was young!"

29. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

My worst was in college in 76, putting a water pump in my 67 Chevelle in the parking lot before Christmas break. Do you know how cold it gets in Wahpeton, ND in December? Very damn cold!! I think it was more than 15 below zero!

30. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

thats what i'm gonna do