Register now to get rid of these ads!

won't idle in drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a bomb, Aug 18, 2012.

1. a bomb

a bomb
    from up north

Recently took my 57 pontiac for a drive, as soon as pull in the driveway it decides its not gonna idle anymore. I'm running a pontiac 400 in it, now I re-checked the timing, its at 16, and 34 all in at 2500rpm, checked for vacuum leaks ,found none. pulled the carb (edelbrock 600cfm, jetted 4%richer than stock) and made sure there were no sticky seats or bowls. Carb is brand new btw. After re- setting of idle mixture i realized it would idle so long as i kept the vacuum disconnected from the distributor. its a bone stock 400, except for a single plane edelbrock intake (not my choice). So figure maybe the distributor needs a re-build?? Figure I can still drive the car with the vacuum plugged, right? just gonna sacrifice some fuel mileage and performance. Any one got any other thoughts , or just the distributor?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If you are running 16* initial with the vac plugged and then hook up vac to manifold you end up with way to much advance. Try ported vac,none at idle but still get the bennies down the road. 16* initial sounds like to much on a stock engine 8-10 more like it.

3. What's your idle Rpm in park and drive ?

I agree 16 initial sounds too high.

4. Deuces

Deuces

Also look for a vacuum leak.... Check the vac line that comes up from the trans too the intake or carb... Those lines do get "baked" from the heat and get brittle and crack...

5. a bomb

a bomb
    from up north

Tried less timing before I had this issue, and it wouldn't idle in drive with any less. Made no vacuum without bumping the timing up.

6. Did you verify that your marks are correct with a piston stop test.
    Them balancers can slip and make your timing light tell you lies.

7. a bomb

a bomb
    from up north

That is sounding like a very good idea, gotta hit a kids bday party, first thing tomorrow I think that's where I'm gonna start. Only thing is I got about 600miles of trouble free driving before yesterday. Why would it be ok And then not?

8. a bomb

a bomb
    from up north

It was 900-950 in park and 550-600 in drive, but as of yesterday it just dies in drive

9. BISHOP

BISHOP

Its the carb... trash in it somewhere. Even though it might be new, clean every journal.

10. Lars Erik

Lars Erik

Last time I saw that, it was a cracked vacuum line going to the vacuum advance module on the trans. Vacuum is a funny thing. Chase leaks with ether. If you spray it on a line and the idle races, you found the leak.

11. OK so what's common here.

The hose going to the vacuum can.
    Could be a can with a leak
    Can pulling too far

Or

You didn't specify if the hose was plugged to idle or open to idle.
    If left open you induced a vaccum leak and it idked.
    If plugged you eliminated the vacuum advance.

12. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

torque converter

13. 38jon

38jon
    from York,PA

Had a customers 40 chevy, sbc rpm intake nothing wild, in for the same thing drove me nuts, unfortunately his problem was the cam was wiped out. He didn't know they took the zinc out of the oil. The motor only had about 100 miles on it, hope that's not your problem but check it out.

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Definitely a vacuum leak somewhere,...What about the power brake booster ?

15. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

I'm thinking vacuum line to trans...

16. I was actually fighting the same problem in my dodge.... Turns out after messing with my 600cfm edelbrock, when you bottom out the mixture screws it wouldn't die.... Vacuum leak somewhere.... A mechanic friend said it was definitely and internal leak In the carb and I need a new carb, or rebuild the one I have. Im running a mechanical advance distributor, and have no vacuum lines to my 904.... Any ideas??

17. a bomb

a bomb
    from up north

Well, unfortunately you were right about the cam. Took the top end apart, and pulled the cam and sure enough it's gotore than a couPle wiped out lobes. Guess that's what you get for a junk yard engine. So I'm not gonna mess around, total re build, now just to decide stick with Pontiac power or do a sbc.

18. sobpunx

sobpunx

I had the same problems a while back and my coil was not getting enough voltage so you might test that.

19. sobpunx

sobpunx

Guess I should of finished reading the post. haha

20. My 409 engine stopped idling in drive. Same thing as yours I lost an intake lobe on #1 and was running on 7 cylinders.

21. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Keep it pontiac nothing sucks more than sbc in a pontiac

22. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I'm hardly an engine guru, but when I had this trouble, it was my electric fuel pump.

23. Yea, flat cams suck !
    Hey I flipped a coin for you, results were Pontiac engine :)

24. Perhaps a blown diaphragm in the vac advancd cannister? When it is not hooked up no vac leak when it is hooked up big vac leak. Try squirting some starter fluid on it with it hooked up at idle.

25. a bomb

a bomb
    from up north

Ya, I definitely think the pontiac in a pontiac makes the car that much cooler, hard to argue the reliability and cost effectiveness of a sbc. But I guess if you want reliability and cost effectiveness you prob shouldn't be building hot rods, lol. I'm gonna stick with the old 400 even if it kills me.