Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sorry, but I know nothing about Fords....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joems, Aug 20, 2012.

1. joems

joems
    from St. Louis

A good friend of mine's Dad has a 1950 Ford 4 door sedan. It has mustang II front end in it that was installed non-professionally. After driving his car, and having the bajeebuzz scared out of me, I've come to the conclusion that we would be better off starting over from a stock frame. Can you tell me what year frames will fit a 1950 Ford sedan so I can start looking.

Much thanks.

2. R Pope

R Pope

'49,'50,'51 Ford.

3. joems

joems
    from St. Louis

Thanks much!

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, exactly what caused it to scare the hell out of you?

Too touchy of steering?
    Wandered all over the road?
    wouldn't stop?
    Pulls to one side all the time?
    Feels like it's going to fall apart?
    Looks like it is going to fall apart due to suspect work?

Has it had an alignment in a shop that knows modified cars?

5. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

R Pope is absolutely correct. The reason that this 50 "scared the bajeebuzz out of you" was because it was an "non-professional installation". Likely not well planned or executed. A stock 49-50-51 shoebox goes down the road just fine as is. Since you profess to know nothing about Fords I suggest that you sek those in your area who do. Avoid junk wagons at all costs. And, forget a frame swap. You do not have, at this time, the judgement, skill or experience to do it or to have it done. Besides, it's a dumb idea.

6. 62rebel

62rebel

that's why my plan is to stick with stock running gear under my '51 and use a relatively mild SBF for power... i don't need to drag race, and i don't need to carve Mulholland.... new brakes and keep everything greased.

7. Fenders

Fenders

With new Kanter front end parts.

8. The stock 49-50-51 Ford frame is a poor candidate for a Mustang II front suspension. I don't think any of the aftermarket Mustang II suspension manufacture's offer a cross member for this application. Fatman Fabrications offers a front frame clip that has a Mustang II front cross member built in. Installing this clip is a job for an experienced builder. The Fatman clip gives you Mustang II front suspension and eliminates the bulky Ford front cross member and stock tie rod. This, in tern makes for easier engine swapping.