Register now to get rid of these ads!

If you live in Oklahoma, you need to read this!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 71buickfreak, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

The state of Oklahoma has eliminated the "Mechanics receipt" exemption for overdue tags. If you have titled project cars and usually wait to tag them until they are driving, you better gather up your receipts and get them black tagged before Thursday. The new law goes into effect on the 23rd of August. If your tag is out more than 30 days, it is an automatic $1/day fine, up to $100. So nice of them to give notice.

Link- http://newlsb.lsb.state.ok.us/BillInfo.aspx?Bill=SB1983

I use this a lot because I have 14 cars and most of them are projects. They are not on the road, therefore I don't need to pay the road taxes on them until they are driveable. This is total BS. Gotta feed the machine.

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

California has something similar. They charge a non-op fee, if you don't pay it they take the license renewal fee out of your bank account.

3. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

Oklahoma isn't that advanced. Our tag agencies are little more than 75-yr old trolls that take your money and stuff it under the door to their goblin masters. They only recently discovered the internet here. Problem is we have to pay the full price, not just a non-op fee. when you have 14 projects, it adds up quick year after year $35 bucks each.

4. Looks like they just discovered gouging too! That sucks......:(

5. Sound's to me you guys need to contact sema action group. You get what you vote for .

6. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Thanks for the info

7. big creep

big creep

yea not true, that have never happened to me or any one i know. you pay to none op it. no they cannot take it from your bank. that's horseshit! you just pay late fees when you make it currant.

8. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

I know there a lot of Okies here, so I figured I would help out my fellow Red Dirt rodders.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that certainly sucks and looks like their way of trying to collect more money.

We have been able to go TPO (Title Purpose Only) when transferring the titles on non operating cars and trucks here in Wa and then go in and register them and pay the taxes when we are ready to drive them. We do have X# of days to get the title transferred or pay a penalty. I will have to pay one of those if I ever register a van project I have. 100 bucks added on to the rest of the fees.

I'd still like to know what the exact reason Jolley and Sears had for writing that ditty. At least without putting in an option for non op vehicles.
    I found and read the PFD version https://www.sos.ok.gov/documents/legislation/53rd/2012/2R/SB/1983.pdf And still can't fully decode it.

It does look like two of their main issues are truck fleets based in OK that don't keep the registrations up on their rigs and Mobil home owners who don't pay the tabs on their trailers.

The trouble is that every time some state

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  10. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

Is there for sure a $100 cap? a buddy of mine said it had went back to infinite back years, i.e., if the tags had been out for twenty years than you had to catch up all twenty years of tags.

11. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

It has happened to me. And it is currently happening to a buddy of mine now. What happened in both cases we had sold cars ( mine was a dirt bike ) and we both mailed in the release of liabilitys from the titles. Like clockwork 2yrs go by and we get notices for back registration with a timeline of when they will attach a wage garnishment. We had to go to the DMV and re fill out liability release forms wich for both of us was difficult as we couldnt remember who the guys were that bought our stuff. Hey why should we it was on the release that we sent in!!!! Lesson learned I always make a photo copy now before mailing it in. I would imagine the same thing happening if I had chose to just not pay the reg or non op.

12. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Sorry dude, I had it happen to me!

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you are wrong. they will track you down, send threatening letters, then attach your paycheck.

14. Seems hard to believe the car would stay in their system that long, though, other states after X period of inactivity they delete the record.

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:mad: They get the mine.WE get the shaft.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

Yeah, it says right there in the article that there is a $100 cap. Still leary of that myself though.

17. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

Here is the bill summary. The only reason for this bill was to eliminate the waivers.

The measure provides for permanent apportionment of a portion of late motor vehicle penalties to the General Revenue Fund and disallows waiving of penalties except for certain commercial registrations and for members of the armed forces under certain circumstances. Apportionment to the General Revenue Fund will increase revenue to the fund by an estimated $19,628,000 in FY-13.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

18. JEM

JEM

That's correct. But the California DMV's late fees are a little like having someone go at your backside with a poorly-lubricated shovel handle.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like if your car sits for over three years you only pay the current year and one back year. If a guy only has one project car that is registered it might just be less hassle to tag it every year and be done with it.

20. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

Yes, you would have to let the car sit for longer than 3 years before not tagging becomes the better option. 2 yrs of $24 tag, (when you get 'surance), + $100 fine = $148. 3 yrs of black tags- $178. That is until they remove the $100 limit that is.

21. Eggzactly! In todays environment why would you risk NOT having a legally titled and licensed car you planned to drive anyway!;)

22. 54BuickSuper

54BuickSuper
    from OK

I know this post is a little old, but I came across this yesterday when doing some research about options on tagging my project car in OK and I found out some more info that I thought I would share. My 54 Buick had not been tagged in 10-15 years when I officially took ownership from my parents & got it tagged in 2009. I ended up doing the Mechanic's Receipt then to eliminate the penalties, but I had heard they did away with that. It has now not been tagged since 2009 and while at the Tag Agency yesterday I asked about the Black Tag (inoperable vehicle with no insurance). The black tag is the same price as a regular tag it just means that there is no insurance and it is inoperable. She figured up the cost to have my 54 Buick tagged if I did it that day and it came out to be something like $195 ($100 for previous year penalty $21.5 for previous year tag + $52 for current year penalty + $21.5 for current year tag). I asked her what the cost would be if I didn't tag it for a couple more years. She said that it depends on when I actually came in to have it tagged. She said the way the renewal is figured is one previous year and the current year. Since my tag is due in October and will always be due in October I have not maxed out this current year's penalty. She said that the most my tag could ever be is $243 ($100 for previous year penalty + $21.5 for previous year tag + $100 for current year penalty + $21.5 for current year tag) and this is figured by maxing out both the previous year and the current year. Currently I am only $52 on my current year penalty since it expired in Oct and there is a 1 month grace period before the $1/day kicks in. This means that when I actually get around to finishing this car say in the next year or two I will go into the tag agency in the month of Oct or Nov and only pay $143 ($100 for previous year penalty + $21.5 for previous year tag + $21.5 for current year tag). As you can see this means that it is critical to know when the tag is actually up for renewal and wait until that month to actually get it renewed. That is assuming that you can wait until then. I hope that helps explain some things to my fellow OKies and anyone else that is interested. :)

23. CtryGrl

CtryGrl

No! There is not a $100 cap. That is for ONE year. Check below what I just copied directly from the OTC website in regards to this. I know, because I just went through this. The car I was driving had been hit by an uninsured driver and I bought another car strictly for parts. It was non-running and was set to be sent to scrap yard. Then the car I was driving was hit yet again and totaled. I bought it back from the ins company and was continuing to drive it even thought it was falling apart. That is until the motor blew up because, unbeknownst to us, the heads were cracked in the last collision. At that point in time, the car I had bought for parts became the one to try to fix up, so we pulled transmission, radiator, water and fuel pumps, belts, hoses, tires, lights, etc off the totaled one and fixed this one so that I could drive it. It took over a year all told from the time I bought the car for parts, to the time I started driving it. It has cost me almost $200 to tag a car that normally costs about $30 per year. They charged me the normal fee, plus the $100 plus another year's tag fee. So...NO THERE IS NOT A $100 CAP!!!! BEWARE!!!

This is from the OTC website:

Vehicles are required to be registered annually, regardless of whether in operation.

Delinquent registration renewal penalties vary, depending upon the classification of the vehicle. In most registration renewal situations, delinquent penalties begin one (1) month following expiration, accruing in the amount of $1.00 per day until paid, or until the maximum penalty amount of $100.00 is reached (100 days).

Should a vehicle remain unregistered for more than one (1) year, the current registration plus one (1) back year of registration, with applicable delinquent penalties added to each, will be collected.

24. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Sounds like you need to transfer the title.