Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 F100 Drop Axle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cards1, Aug 20, 2012.

1. cards1

cards1

New to the forums and just got a 56 with a 5" drop axle and 2" drop in back with 20" wheels. To get a better ride I was told bring up the front a bit. Mechanic suggests I find 2" drop spindles but thought I saw where I have to put a drop axle in. I like the wheels but would like to make this more functional. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. I think we need a little more information on your front suspension. Is it still a straight axle truck, or does it have an independent front suspension conversion?

And you're going to find out very quickly that this is a "Traditional" forum and 20" wheels don't really fly here!

3. cards1

cards1

It is still a straight axle. Thanks for the heads up on "traditional" interests. Im a noob and ths is my first classic. Just want to get on the road and then figure out what direction to go.

4. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

5. el spanky72

el spanky72
    from ATX

Sid is a good guy and supplied the 3" drop axle for my 53 F100. Any more of a drop than 3" on the axle will put you past the scrub line of most wheels you'd run on that truck. In other words, if you get a flat your axle will be lower than the rims and drag the road.

3" drop axle with lowered (de-arched) leaf springs would be safer, but will definitely not give you a better ride. :) If you want better ride quality, upgrading your front suspension to any of the after market IFS systems like Fatman Fabrications provides (or others) would be the best way.

All depends on how original or "traditional" you want your truck to be.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. OK, If it still has a straight axle under it and it has been lowered 5" with a drop axle you have a couple of options. But first again we need some more info.
    F-100's with more than a 3" drop in the axle are pretty uncommon, they just don't take that much drop well and then there are usually steering arm issues.
    Also a drop axle does not generally affect the ride. That is controlled by springs and shocks, not the axle.
    My guess is it has a 3" axle and some drop springs. I would be looking at different springs to cure the ride and bring it up a little if that's what you really want.
    If it is 5" in front and only 2" in rear, it must have a real "Stink Bug" rake to it.
    I think some pictures of the truck and the front end are in order to help you out.

7. cards1

cards1

I really appreciate the info guys. I got this and after about a week or so I put in in the shop to get it legal for Missouri (wipers,exhaust) and to fix the major steering issue it had. It was suggested to bring it up a bit to improve ride. I about forgot what it looks like. Gonna try and post pics. Would eventually like to go to independant front suspension just wanting to get on the road = goal #1

8. cards1

cards1

Here is a pic. The driveway this pic was taken in had a pretty good slope which kind of throws this off a bit.

Attached Files:

9. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

For non-trad wheels, those 20s don't look half bad. Not my style, though.

I'd raise the front a tad, drop the back a tad and center the wheels to the wheel wells.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loose those silly looking wheels and put some 15's on it with tires with some sidewall and it should ride and look one hell of a lot better. I'm really sorry but those are the ugliest damned wheels I have ever seen on a truck. I hope you didn't pay extra for them. Along with them being 100% not HAMB friendly.