Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Ford F-1 Phillips 66 logos on doors (saved from the scrapyard!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildcycles, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Looking like the flathead will be back together tonight... One of the cylinder heads had a small eroded spot about .025" deep, so am sending both to the machine shop for surfacing and will be bolting it back together tonight if all goes as planned. Can't wait to hear it running smooth.. Then it's gonna be time to get the brakes in order and take it for a drive . .

2. Nice truck, nothing like that around here. Looks way better than my 91 daily. There was a thread on here recently in regards to "weathering" new wood for pickup bed.

3. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks for the comments and info... If I can't get my hands on some "already weathered" barn boards, I may have to weather some new stuff...

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Do you have more pictures?

It looks disent body-wise, but one rust stain to many and it goes RR!
    But the right amount of rust is okay. Just my 2cent :)

Non the less a cool find! What is so special about Philips sixty six?
    I know I'm from another country, so this might be a dumb a$$ question, but thats the one I'm going with.

5. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

I am not worried about the rust... What's special about Phillips 66? We love our "Americana" and as "car guys" we especially like petroleum related stuff. Phillips 66 has a refinery in my area, gas stations, etc. . There is also a connection to our famous U.S. highway called Route 66 as follows...

The Phillips 66 shield logo, created for its link to the highway of the same number, was introduced in 1930 in a black and orange color scheme that would last nearly 30 years. In 1959, Phillips introduced a revised version of the shield in red, white and black, a color scheme still used by ConocoPhillips for the brand.

Cheers from the U.S.!

6. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Truck looks good, do with it as you like and have fun.

7. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

8. mtflat

mtflat

Nice find - looks like it went to a good home!

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its yours keep it how you want. IMO its just fine it fact better than fine just the way it is. Old trucks, the bigger the better rule and this one has a flattie to boot. Way too cool.

10. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

Sounds like you will be driving soon. I look forward to a video. ;)

11. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks! I will do just that... I REALLY like the truck in your photo... I hope mine looks half as good when I am "done"... Keep on Truckin'

12. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks! I liked the truck the minute I saw it.. I have owned better trucks, but this thing just has a charm all its own for me.
    I am having more fun with this truck than any project I have had in a long time. .

13. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Yes.. the video is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that since I haven't posted a video before. I will figure it out tho...

14. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

OK, so I didn't get quite as far as I thought I would today, but the valves are lapped and back in the engine. Heads had to go to a different shop than originally planned, so I should have them back tomorrow to finish up the work on the top end and get it fired up. In the meantime, we are gonna pull the brakes apart and check them out, so I know what all is needed...

One of my front wheels is pretty badly rusted and crumbling on the edge from sitting with a flat tire, so I will probably need to replace it. I think the wheels are original, so I would like to find another one if anybody has a spare. They are 15" and have the clips for center hubcap.. Does this sound right to others with F1s???? I have had a few 53-56 trucks and they don't have the riveted on clips for hubcaps.

15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Sorry if my post seen un-American, but never heard of that brand, it dosent exist i Skandinavia or northen Europa. My bad
    It would stil be Nice to more pictures of you truck. Great find

I'm i the only one who can't se any logo? It might just be me!!

16. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Your post didn't seem un- American to me... I figured you just hadn't heard of it like you said, so was just providing the information.

Glad you are here!

17. jchav62

jchav62

Very very cool truck!! I'm glad you saved her...

18. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

OK, so we pulled the brake drums off yesterday to check the condition of the brakes. Fully expecting to have to do a complete brake job, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the brakes had been completely redone! It appears that the brakes were redone before the truck was parked sometime in the recent past. The drums are freshly turned, not rusted and the wheel cylinders look fairly new. We replaced a couple bad lines and it looks as though the brakes are going to be just fine... It should go and stop later today!

19. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Nice truck. Here's a logo for our friends in Europe who may not have ever seen one.

Attached Files:

20. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Thanks for adding the photo of the logo!

21. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

OK, so we made some progress this weekend... I went and picked up a pair of new water pumps, as the right side was a gusher upon start up. The radiator has a leak, so will be sending to radiator shop or possibly finding a better one. The fuel tank is NASTY! Lotsa rust and thick black tar... I went and looked at a couple of parts trucks and I think I will be able to replace the tank and radiator with much cleaner units and possibly score an original tool tray to boot! Intake is coming off again to correct loose valve adjustment. Will be replacing the motor mounts too when pumps go back on.. I found out that 1952 pickups have a motor mount all to themselves. According to the parts books it's a one year design. Never would have guessed that. Not quite on the road as anticipated, but taking steps to be sure that when it is on the road, it will be a dependable driver...

22. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

Just a quick update: Valves have been readjusted, I found a really nice gas tank to replace my nasty one and I also found what appears to be a better radiator. Taking the radiator in today to be cleaned out and repaired as needed.

23. Wildcycles

Wildcycles

It RUNS! and DRIVES! I took the truck out for a drive on Saturday and the flathead absolutely purrs... It starts easily, idles well and seems to be very dependable. I installed a new 6V battery and it starts before you can get your finger off of the button! Temperature is good, great oil pressure and charging just over 7 volts. The brakes need some adjusting and so does the clutch. Also has a bit of an exhaust leak at the header pipe. Just needs a new gasket. It was fun to drive! I stopped at a yard sale and the guy asked with a smug grin.. "Is that your daily driver?", to which I replied... "It is today" ... and with a quick poke at the starter button I was down the road...

24. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

Awesome answer! :)

25. Anymore pics of the truck?