Register now to get rid of these ads!

Had a weird car sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Aug 19, 2012.

1. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

A guy from Arizona with a heavy accent, like from India or someplace, called me & said he wanted to buy my car. It's a 26-t roadster. He never asked me any questions about the car, But did want to know if the car drove, steered, & stopped. He gave me his e-mail address & thanks to some of the guys on the H.A.M.B. telling how to make a money transfer to a new savings account number & then closing it after you receive the money everything went great. He now has the title that I sent certified mail & I'm waiting for his shipper to pick it up.

2. JayD

JayD

Great, hope all of it works for you. Keep us posted!

JayD

3. 5window

5window

Hmm.We'll I hope it works-let us know. Still somehow seems fishy to me, but I'm a skeptic.

4. JayD

JayD

Me too!!

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

I would definetly check with your bank branch manager tomorrow to see if there is anyway he can make your transaction a nightmare..... charge backs against insufficient funds, etc. Your bank branch manager may want to have a verbal conversation with his branch manager. I strongly suggest you do this. I had an aweful experience with a buyer in Arizona on CL. My Bank branch manager made sure the money was irreversible by wire transfer before I let the buyer's transporter pick up the car.

6. budd

budd

so you took the money out of the new account and then closed it?

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I think I'd be having an itchy/crawlie feeling right now instead of the warm and cuddly one you seem to have.

That car (or the title...but too late for that) would not leave my possession until the money cleared and at least another two weeks passed after that!

Give us the full details of how you are to do the transaction regarding shipping costs etc...

8. brad chevy

brad chevy

Did you do this transaction at the bank where you have other accounts at ? How long did it take for you to get the cash after it arrived? And where did this guy see your car for sale? Sad rhese damn scammers have made it to where you have to question everyone these days. Hope it works out for you but kind of wierd the guy doesn;t want to know anything about something hes buying. Good luck !

9. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I sold a roadster to a guy in Japan, exactly the same way. He wired money to a new account I set up with nothing in it and then I transferred the cash into another account and then closed the new account. It worked fine, no problems.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The thing that would scare me is him not asking any questions about the car, other than does it drive , steer, and stop. Who buys a car without asking a whole bunch of questions?

I agree that you should have an immediate conversation with your branch manager and ask if there is any way you can lose out on this deal.

Don

11. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

indian accent and no car guy questions would worry me alot ..i think if theres fraud involved even if you close the account someone will be coming after the money

id make some excuses and delay the shipping until the bank manager says its all golden

12. I think RDAH may have been happy when he started this thread but after your replies his arse may now be a littke puckered ......LOL

13. psycho sean

psycho sean

Hmmm all I can say is be careful!!! These scamers. Are tricky they think of every thing. I was scammed a few months ago on Ohio cl I tell you its not a good feeling when you goto the bank to find your in the negative

14. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

You might want to shove a piece of coal up your ass, then when this is all over you could have a diamond. Good luck, hope all goes well.

15. So he could,nt find a T roadster closer to home ? Get that 100% confirmation from your banker. In defence of foreign buyers i have sold a few rare car parts to a guy in India and he pays good and fast and top $$. Think he has a museum or at least a fancy collection. You must have read all the other threads regarding scammers and legit buyers from Europe, Hope it all goes well for you.

16. All car sales are weird until the cold hard CASH is in your hand the car is out of your possession.

Bob

17. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Jeez, how many red flags can the lure of cash blind you to? It may all work out and I hope it does. I'd be nervous as a whore in church for a couple weeks. And I'm sure the bank has some way of covering their ass and coming after you for the funds if his payment isn't legit.

18. johnboy13

johnboy13

You can count on it

19. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Smells to me...I wouldnt ship for 30 days

20. The bank can suggest a bullet proof method of payment, and it is wise to take the advice. Its also in their best interest to do so.

My wife was in commercial banking for years and has warded off more than a few scams for people like the OP.

Bob

21. Why open a new account then close it? I smell a rat.... I bet he calls the money back somehow and the bank come after you.

I wouldn't release the car for 30 days and would put the money on deposit (don't spend it anyway). Get the bank involved now so that you can show you're not part of the scam if it all goes shit shaped.

22. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

Great advise

23. Uh how much do you have to give to the shipper when he arrives?

24. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

I helped my friend Louie who is blind sell his 1932 Ford Sport Coupe to a buyer in Texas. His bank told him to use the same procedure as you did. It was then picked up by the buyer's shipper. Everything worked perfectly.

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Man, I hope this works out for you but it's flying red flags.

Don't think the bank won't come after you for the money just because you closed the acct. If the guy calls back on the deal. They'll pull it from your other accts, place a lien on everything you own and press charges through the feds saying you were part of the scam.

I'm a cash in hand seller. I'd have told the guy to send me a $1000 deposit and instructed him to wire the balance of the $$$ to his shipper. Once the shipper arrives, meet him at the bank to arrange a cash payment in exchange for a signed title.

26. outlaw256

outlaw256

hell i get scared just sellin a car to someone who lives a few towns away, i would go nuts worrying about a foriegn sale!!!!!!!

27. The bank will pretty much do whatever YOU want them to do. They have no liability and will seize other funds to square their books away.

My wife is the consummate banker. I'm amazed at what she knows regarding money transfers and what flies.. and what doesn't. A smart heads up banker is your best bet in a foreign deal.

Bob

28. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

Good luck! And keep us posted, I am very interested in how this turns out.

29. 65 Hemi Coronet

65 Hemi Coronet
    from Florida

I sold my Hemi Coronet on e bay to a guy in New Zealand about 6 months ago. He did a wire transfer to my account, and all went well. I think when I asked my bank about it, they said it still takes a few days for the the money/transaction to "clear" so he cannot reverse the transaction. You may be best calling your bank and asking details regarding it.

30. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

RDAH, I think you are about to find out the hard way that you made a big mistake. Of course, you probably won't be too surprised since you found it weird enough to tell all of us about it.

I hope I am wrong.