Register now to get rid of these ads!

289 vs 302 dist housing size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nosford, Aug 19, 2012.

1. I tried to install a 1976 302 Duraspark dist in my 289 and it wouldn't fit, the housing diameter that fits into the block is 1.580" and the stock points unit is 1.500". I have several other dist and all the same, the points units are 1.500 and the electronic ones 1.580. Anyone else ran into this? The catalogs seem to lump all the 289, 302 units as interchangeable. I guess I can swap the guts from the new into the old housing but I would hate to order a new dist only to have it not fit! Thanks.

2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I have a 68 289 with a duraspark ... All fit fine. are you sure you dura spark is off a 302

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, something is wrong. The one thing Ford didn't screw around with was the hole size for the distributor. Anything from 221 to 302 CI is the same.

Have you tried to put one that measures 1.5 into this motor ? .080 is like nothing and shouldn't be causing you any problems. Either you have a distributor from some other Ford motor (like 351) or there is something wrong with the bore where the distributor goes.

I've swapped a bunch of different distributors into 289's and 302's, from dual points to electronic, and they always just drop right in. I have a few sbf distributors at the shop and will gladly mike them and report back tomorrow night, if that will help.

Don

4. Here in OZ there is a difference in the 302 distributors and blocks for early and late clevos.One has a smaller(about .040") indexing spigot at the base of the shaft which will fit the other but will allow the shaft to wander and screw the block bore,the other way it just won't fit in as the spigot is larger.Both distributor holes in the blocks are the same though.Bit of useless info for ya's.

5. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I have seen more than once someone think the distributor on a 260/289/302 SBF is the wrong size, only to find the body is actually hitting the intake. They are all the same size, double check and I'll bet you find it's hitting externally or not lining up with the gear or oil pump drive.

6. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

you have a 351 distributer take it back might have been missed boxed i had that happen about 10 years ago

7. The points unit that came out of the motor was the 1.5" unit and it was a tight fit. The Duraspark unit has a tag on it and it starts with a D6 so I assumed it was a 1976, got out a box of old units I have and checked them all. The points units were 1.5 and electronic units were 1.580, possibly they are all 351 units but I have only had two 351W's and a whole bunch of 302's and 289's. I will also dig some more tomorrow. I always thought 302 / 289 were the same size!

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a '66 with a Duraspark, same for me, fit and worked great.

9. moefuzz

moefuzz

I think everyone has already clearly stated that:
    All sbf distribs are the same
    you have somehow been handed a distrib for something other than a small block Ford.

'cuz even a 90's EEEC or 80's Duraspark distrib will fit any/all small blocks back to inception.

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

One way to tell for sure is check with the oil pump drive shaft a 289-302 is 1/4" a 351 is 5/16"

11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

All small fords 221-302 engines share the same distributor. A 351 Windsor is the same daimeter, but longer due to the taller deck height, and also the oil pump drive shaft is bigger on the Windsor distributor. I don't know what you have, but it is not a small block Ford distributor.

12. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

A 429/460 distributor hole measures 1.560". I think the 1.580" is for a FE (yes there is a factory Duraspark distributor for FE engines that came in mid/late 1970's for Ford trucks that had the 360 FE's in them).

13. Well JeffB2 gave me the ammo I needed. went back to the parts store tonight and there was three more "rebuilt" Duraspark units on the shelf. Two were large (including the one they gave me) and two were smaller, all boxed with the same part number. The oil pump drive was the larger size ( 5/16 ") so they must be 351 units. Thanks everybody for the help, I thought I was getting older NOT crazier!