Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Toymaker's Evil Twin Engine Dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toymaker, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Tim, I pulled it apart and found the input "Twisted Off" like I knew already. After thinking of options I got to thinking and remembered the car creeping so I had to hold the brake and I'm thinking I didn't release it quick enough. I dunno but finances right know only allow to replace the input and do some testing :D

2. nexxussian

nexxussian

Hmm, how are you gonna fit a SM465 in there? ;)

Best of luck.

3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Claymore, I got it put together with the Clutch and Transmission repaired early Sat morning to make the show. Had a great time @ the 'Knockout and now I'm ready to run it again...........with a little finesse to try to keep it together :D

4. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rocky, Looking forward to seeing you at Toutle, If there is anything I can help you with, PM me. Marty

6. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thank You Marty! maybe a period Tow Vehicle;)

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Would this one work ?

Attached Files:

8. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thats COOL, needs to carry my group 31 "Jumper Battery".

9. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Took the TWIN to a local car show and decided on an "Easy" Test Launch...........Damn if it didn't break the input again! So after a night of depression I go to my good friend Jerry Turner of Turner's Auto Wrecking with the toughts of somehow adding an 1 3/8" input to my 3 speed box. Jerry says check the Tranny rack and LOW AND BEHOLD, Ford made my (mid 60's to late 70's) trans with the 1 3/8" input, and Jerry has a shelf of them!
    I know what may of you are saying, "Just by a Shaft" but this project has been built with "Stuff", I have more in the Axles and Clutch than the complete car. So today I begin beating my head against the wall :D, taking it all apart and still planning on making BilletProof WA next weekend, photos at 11!

10. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Git r done!! :D

11. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Poofus!

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rocky, I have this 1.3/8 10 spline shaft, if it will work for you it is yours!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  13. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

:eek: How long is it Marty? "O" in my amazement I missed the tape measure :D

14. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I may take ya up on it but I'd have to add a drive line, or maybe a long coupler if they make it. HMMMMMMMMM

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It is 13" long,the spline on the rear is 1.3/8 16.

16. afaulk

afaulk

Dang Rocky, I know the tape is upside down and all.......... hehehehehe

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That's OK, he probably stood on his head so he could read it.:p

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You guys go easy on Rocky, BTW this should be easier to read.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  19. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Hahaha, Tom knows me well! Marty hang on to it and we'll talk at BilletProof this weekend. I'm going together with what I have now and will/could make the change this winter. It's about 1/2 way out right now ans I looked with my Borescope and found it broke clean where the shaft goes into the disc. Next post will have pics :D

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rocky, Just a thought, at Bulletproof, why couldn't you make your start from the "burnout box" instead of the starting line? That way it would put less strain on your parts, spinning in the water with lots of smoke.

21. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

1 3/8" x 16 spline couplers, and driveshafts can be gotten from Lenco, or Stange Engineering. If you check on the Classis Funnycar Board, or Inside Top Alcohol you could possibly find what you need used. 1 3/8" x 16 spline were used in the 1970's in T/F, and F/C's (some Nostalgia F/C's still use the same stuff).

22. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Thanks Kenneth!

23. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I could do that and may but ultamately my goal is to hammer it with the tires dry:D
    It's all apart, broke like I thought and while cleaning up the 1 3/8" input I noticed it's longer:(. After taking a nap :rolleyes: and thinking about it I decided I wasn't giving up so I cut the splines with a die grinder for my length, ground off the splines not required (keeping every thing cool) and once I was past the hardened surface I chucked it up and finished it with a Carbide bit. The results are satisfactory as far as I'm concerned, I didn't disturb the hardened surface of the splines or the shaft behind it. Now I have to figure out a throwout brg for the LARGE bearing retainer:confused:
    A recap of the tranny mods so far while I can still remember. A ford 1968 Pass/light truck 3.03 case, mid 60's van very short tail housing and main shaft that originally had a fixed yoke with a nut. After determining the splines were common I cut off the threads and made a short slip yoke. The 1 3/8" input is from a 1963 ford (6 cyl p/U I believe) and all the gears have been removed to make it just an in&out box. The shifter top is a T-150 from a jeep and I'm checking on seal bearings so I can get away from filling the case with oil all the way to the bearings. Off to Valley Friction tomorrow to get the larger hubs put in my discs and see what I going to do about the T-O bearing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    Deuces likes this.
  24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Nice twist in the splines Rocky. I made some axles like that for a '50 Chevy back in the '60s. :D

25. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I hope you don't do it again in October:D

26. Thats thinkin Roc, you could get some salts and case harden the front if you wanted to..........

27. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

That could be your problem Rocky is that the stock input shafts are too hard (like the way stock axles are). Recently I cut down a 1 3/4" dia x 10 spline input shaft (that came from B&J racing transmissions) for a Nitro FC, and it seemed to me to cut easier in the lathe than a "stocker" input shaft.

28. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Put those twins in a '50 Chevy coupe and I'll bet I could. :D Hell, I did it with a stock stovebolt six.

29. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I would agree, when I had Liberty Pro-Shift my Super T-10 in another car they.........."O" whats the word.............softened, and straightened it. The input I machined was almost like Tool Steel, but I'm hoping just the increased DIA will stop the breakage and I don't find another weak link farther back.;)

30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Thinking the word you are looking for is "annealed".