Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 ih r112

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wisconsinjimmy, Aug 18, 2012.

1. wisconsinjimmy

wisconsinjimmy

I need some advice, my little pickup needs some new power and for what ever reason I got to thinking could I stuff a Buick 3100 fwd into the pickup, I have the Buick and it runs pretty good. Just thinking now so be nice, my other choice is a 4.3 GM with auto (gas sipper). The one problem that is nagging me is that the pig is either a 3:73 or a 4:10 which are not good for highway.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. anteek

anteek

DON'T! that little v-6 doesn't have the torque that the original 6 has. It will be a gutless wonder unless you leave the original gears in.That truck is heavy and needs cubic inches to move it.Then you can go to a late model rear with decent gears. The engine bay is narrow and needs the steering box swapped for one that can be moved foreward to give more room. I 've used a chevy pickup '80 that mounted outside the frame. A lot of work.

3. oberg

oberg

For my '50 L-110 build I am using a Ford 300 inline six mated to a ZF5 transmission (with granny 1st and OD 5th), and either a 3.31 posi Jaguar IRS or a ford 8.8 for the rear (I have the Jaguar rear already, but might get a 8.8 to make my towing options better (easier to airbag the 8.8, etc)). Keeps it an inline (with the intake on the same side as the original IH), and gives lots of options for gear ratios for the rear. Good running Ford 300 engines are available for cheap, run forever, and there are nice options for additional power (chevy rockers, EFI exhaust headers, better intakes, etc). Unfortunately I do not know anything about the Buick or the 4.3 option in a IHC. Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. wisconsinjimmy

wisconsinjimmy

Most likely I will put a Ford 300 in the truck, I do know that this engine is loaded with torque, in 1958 (shakey on the year) the engine was used in the 460 and 560 tractors and the heads will swap with the C220 the tractor is a 221 incher and the first year of production IH had to replace a whole bunch of tractor gear boxes as the engine had to much torque for the design. I do have a permanent lean to keep the 220 now if I can only find a grille mine is gone rust about halfway down on the outside of the headlights and no park lights left.