Register now to get rid of these ads!

ever notice how your stuff expands to fill the space

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Flop's thread about new bigger space got me thinking.

Not to hijack his thread... ahheeem

I walked into 3000 sq feet space 30x100 , I looked around and thought "what the hell am I going to do with all this room". Its got 20' high ceilings too. It was just a few bucks more than my 24 X40 space that was definitely to small so I took it.

So now its packed clear full. There's 6 8'x4' x12' high pallet racks packed. Got some cool equipment that I wanted room for but come on. I got stuff outside,
    one project stashed at a neighbours and another at another neighbors. How the hell does that happen?

I'm really thankful I didn't take the 4500 or 6000 sq foot space at that time. 22,000 just opened up on the end and I'm thinking.... then I scare myself because
    i know what will happen.

2. I think its some kind of law of physics. Its impossible for an empty space exist in the natural world. Just go for it.....Its not nice to fool mother nature!:cool:

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

George Carlin explained it.
    I'll let someone else expend the energy to find a link.

4. Oldsmell

Oldsmell

When you build it they will come.....

5. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

several years ago a friend built a 60'x90' pole barn/ shop for his car addiction now its so full you can hardly walk through it. when he was having it built I thought " he will never fill this space." :rolleyes:

6. When I was a kid my grandpa had a 2.5 car and my folks didn't have one yet.
    He told them build the biggest you can. So they built a 2.5 extra deep with a patio and storage over the patio. Yep full.

I built a 30 x30 and that was perfect for home garage as long as you had a 24x24 attached.

In Colorado I had a big barn, yep filled it.

Came back here and had a 3 car attached with a 24x36 . Not really enough.

Then had a 11x35 storage and 24x40 . Pita desperate spaces and expensive.

30x 100 was way too fucking big for a little while but it was cheap .

I really need to scale back and condense but it just won't stop.
    let me off this thing

7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I don't have that problem but I definetly do with the wife.

8. Fogger

Fogger

It really is funny, I added 600 sq ft behind my garage and before I finished my dad asked how much farther back I could go. Didn't put any electrical in the back wall so it is possible. Ha, ha, Can't build them big enough, age old problem.

9. BarryA

BarryA

I thought the 4500 I built would do it.....for a little while

10. Roupe

Roupe

Shop space must be just like clothes in your closet. Put something on thats been hanging in your closet for 10 years. Is it tighter? See, it always shrinks.

11. Yeah, funny how that goes - kinda like income. I make a heckuva lot more than used to, but it still ain't enough. I guess nobody can answer "how much is too much?" Somebody keeps moving the goal post back :D

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

"Natura abhorret vacuum"
    François Rabelais (c. 1494-1553)

13. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

My last house had no garage at all. I had to rent storage just to keep a car I couldn't work on. Then I bought another car. So it stayed outside and I worked on it when I could. My current house has a 2.5 car garage with another full bay just for storage. It works out nice because I can put all my "parts" in that space, and the work bays stay uncluttered.
    I do have to tell myself occassionally that I don't need anymore crap.:D

14. I call it the gold fish effect. The bigger the bowl you put me in, the bigger I grow.

15. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

NO SH*T! thats the name of it??

then there's the old question "Have you ever cleaned your shop and lost everything?"

16. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

This thread is so true.

Just finishing up a 1550 square foot shop and still the wife is pissed cause her garage is busting at the seams with more of my "shit"! Not to mention the 40' foot shipping container next to the new garage. There is no cure for this sickness, but it sure is fun having this sickness.

17. this is exactly why i am trying to get some acreage then i can build a big shop to last me...and then another one and so on. bur right now i would settle for a 12x20 shed in the back.

18. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

In went to an Estate sale yesterday and found all kinds of junk I didnt know I needed.
    Gray Baskerville said,
    " All I have is a car port. If I had a garage I'd collect too much junk".

19. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I only have a two garage, so keeping things sparse is no problem. Also, due to a lack of space and funds, I only have one project at a time. Both cars are on the road so unless I win the lottery or sell one, that is it for me.

20. 46stude

46stude

I'm in the middle of building a 14X24 garage with a 10X20 awning off the side. My thought process is that it's small size'll keep me focused. Bigger is not always better sometimes.

21. I went from 15,000 TO 1500 and that one little zero can really ruin your day

22. I discussed this question with a friend who has a Ph. D. in physics--why does clutter, which is composed of solid matter, behave like a gas as it expands to fill the available space? He said that he'd observed the same phenomenon and couldn't explain it either.